Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: The most genetically Celtic population in the world, is it that of Ireland or Wales or Scotland ?

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,036
    Given: 6,627

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    I think if you were raised to think of yourself as Celtic and it being an important part of the your identity then it is a bit confronting to find out you are not some special identity. I remember when I first realised that the Irish weren't this special group "the Celts" in a sea of Angles and Dutch etc I had a bit of difficulty getting my head around it. That was about 8 to 9 years ago. I was brought up by my father to believe I was an Irish Celt. I've realised now that Irish identity isn't tied in with being a Celt. I find it better to think of myself and the Irish as Gaels and that is a more "Insular Celtic" identity that doesn't rely on being Continental Celtic. I still feel a connection to Continental Celts especially the Gauls and the Irish do speak a Celtic language and have the great Irish myths such as Finn McCool, the Tuatha De Danaan, the Dagda etc. It has it's own rich culture and heritage. So whether the Irish have much Continental Celtic input or not is okay with me.
    I see it a bit differently. The Irish are overwhelmingly descended from Gaels, part of the ancient Celtic world, and the majority of Celtic culture as the world knows it today is old Insular culture. So the Irish are truly ancestrally Celtic in one way, just not quite from the Celts; but who is? On the contrary I think not speaking the language is the most confronting thing to any sense of Celticness. When I hear Gaelic/Welsh spoken it's so foreign to me that it might as well be Greek, that alone is how I know I'm not Celtic, plus all the associated customs/traditions I don't follow. On the other hand I know that most of my ancestors 2000 years ago spoke those languages and had those customs, ipso facto Celtic people.

Regardless, there is far, far too much discussion of these ancient ethno-linguistic categories that are irrelevant today, and I get bored of discussing it. The Irish are Irish, the English are English, Scots are Scottish etc etc, not much more in reality.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,569
    Given: 29,025

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post
    I see it a bit differently. The Irish are overwhelmingly descended from Gaels, part of the ancient Celtic world, and the majority of Celtic culture as the world knows it today is old Insular culture. So the Irish are truly ancestrally Celtic in one way, just not quite from the Celts; but who is? On the contrary I think not speaking the language is the most confronting thing to any sense of Celticness. When I hear Gaelic/Welsh spoken it's so foreign to me that it might as well be Greek, that alone is how I know I'm not Celtic, plus all the associated customs/traditions I don't follow. On the other hand I know that most of my ancestors 2000 years ago spoke those languages and had those customs, ipso facto Celtic people.

Regardless, there is far, far too much discussion of these ancient ethno-linguistic categories that are irrelevant today, and I get bored of discussing it. The Irish are Irish, the English are English, Scots are Scottish etc etc, not much more in reality.
    Yes of course English are English and Irish are Irish but it is fascinating to me to know how much Celtic, Norman or Anglo-Saxon etc genetically a population is. I do agree that what people think of as Celtic is actually Insular Celtic. I've commented previously about this. Some of the things that the Irish did does not mean that Celts did that in Europe thousands of years ago. I would also like now for what is Irish to be acknowledged as Irish and not called Celtic so that people don't assume some of these customs are pan-Celtic when they are not.

Trapped In Clown World Anglo-Celtic's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:12 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Briton, Gaelic, Saxon, Varied
    Ancestry
    English, Irish, Scottish, Varied
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Gadsden
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranid
    Politics
    Constitutionalist
    Hero
    Smedley Butler
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,537
    Given: 6,493

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    Irish won't be the most Celtic genetically. It has to be separated whether this is genetically or culturally. Culturally the Irish are Celtic but genetically not the most. It looks like the English and Welsh might be more Celtic genetically going by this study coming out.

The Celts most probably emerged out of Tumulus culture and before that Unetice. I think Gauls were undoubtedly Celts. I would love a big study on this.

As sad as it is for many people and it might be difficult for some people to get their head around it but the Insular Celts of which I am one are not really very Celtic genetically. There is some Continental Celtic input which I want to know more about but it is the Southern English that have the most of this. The Irish most likely got some of the Continental Celtic input from Britain. Would some Continental Celtic input be direct from Europe? I have my doubts and I think any came in via Britain.

When I first starting looking at genetics I had to put to rest "the Irish are Celts". I think the Irish themselves are not too bothered about this and I've seen articles in the Irish papers about genetics but I think some other people have very ingrained ideas about this topic. I think anyone that has a good handle on genetics is more up-to-speed with these topics.

We don't know the most genetically Celtic population in the World yet but it won't be the Insular Celts.
    Saint Patrick wasn't Irish. "Danny Boy's" lyrics were written by an English person. "Galway Girl" was written by an American. Corned beef and cabbage is an American meal.

"Dixie" was composed by a Yankee. Gospel music and rap might have Scottish roots. Hamburgers, as well as hot dogs, have their origins in Germany. The Christmas tree does too.

Pepperoni pizza started in America. Lasagna was Greek, and spaghetti was Arabic. "Ulster Scottish" Daniel Boone was really English and Welsh. Jack Dempsey's roots were in Appalachia, not New York City.

This Celtic disappointment is just like the above. I'll have to replace "Celtic" with "Briton and Gaelic", and I'm likely not even close to half Anglo. My main disillusionment was when I discovered that one of my favorite recipes was created by my dad, not my mom. That one *really* rocked my world!

Last Online
    06-10-2022 @ 05:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    British American
    Ancestry
    Colonial British American
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

I'd say the Bavarians are probably as "Celtic" than a lot of the people who are linguistically Celtic today.

Last Online
    Today @ 01:34 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    100% Northwest European and Flemish
    Ancestry
    From Flanders ( Koninkjrik België )
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R1a - L664
    mtDNA
    n/a
    Taxonomy
    60% Borreby with strong 40% Keltic Nordid admixture
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,189
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBond007 View Post
    They are basically the same, on average, but there is a large spread. The difference really isn't even that big between the Welsh and Scottish and English on average :

^ I wish there was a British isles calculator for that. G25 might have the samples but it might not be the same scale and G25 does not have enough regional samples and Davidski probably inconveniently labelled the Saxon samples.

So, one can use the Iron Age England samples for 'Celtic' and the pure Anglo-Saxon samples (basically Dutch and Danish) as Germanic. Wales and Scotland are on average 30% Angle-Saxon , with a large spread, and East England is on average 38% Angle-Saxon with a large spread.

I have been told I can pass in Wales/Cornwall/Devonshire by XenophobicPrussian (from what I can gather he seems correct) and I would guess I'm anywhere from 34% to about 36% Angle-Saxon but I'm not sure.
    I would think you should be a little more careful when making that statement. On autosomal level, British are similar due to the fact that the Germanic invaders couldn’t have been as numerous as the indigenous Brythonic people and the vast majority of these mercenaries were usually men. As in every invading story, the soldiers took most likely Celtic or local wives. So the difference would lie more in the proportion of the Y-DNA passed on the Germanic warriors who literally took over and created a nation which eventually became England as we know it.

Last Online
    Today @ 01:34 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    100% Northwest European and Flemish
    Ancestry
    From Flanders ( Koninkjrik België )
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R1a - L664
    mtDNA
    n/a
    Taxonomy
    60% Borreby with strong 40% Keltic Nordid admixture
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,189
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-Celtic View Post
    Saint Patrick wasn't Irish. "Danny Boy's" lyrics were written by an English person. "Galway Girl" was written by an American. Corned beef and cabbage is an American meal.

"Dixie" was composed by a Yankee. Gospel music and rap might have Scottish roots. Hamburgers, as well as hot dogs, have their origins in Germany. The Christmas tree does too.

Pepperoni pizza started in America. Lasagna was Greek, and spaghetti was Arabic. "Ulster Scottish" Daniel Boone was really English and Welsh. Jack Dempsey's roots were in Appalachia, not New York City.

This Celtic disappointment is just like the above. I'll have to replace "Celtic" with "Briton and Gaelic", and I'm likely not even close to half Anglo. My main disillusionment was when I discovered that one of my favorite recipes was created by my dad, not my mom. That one *really* rocked my world!
    On autosomal level, the East English are 40%, the Welsh and Scottish are 30% Anglo - Saxon. This firstly a sign to show as a whole due to Anglo - Saxon invasion, the British are no more 90% - 100% Celtic. They all have Germanic admixture, including the Welsh whom people didn’t expect to be that Germanic. However on the Y - DNA level, the English depending on counties run a 55% - 65% range on average. While the Welsh round about 25%.

"Preta, Preta, Pretinha . . ." Jingle Bell's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sertanejo Nordestino, Crioulo, Romance.
    Ethnicity
    Bahian (Agreste & Zona da Mata), Portuguese (Center & North).
    Ancestry
    (BR) Sesmaria de Peixoto Viegas & Recôncavo, (PT) Aveiro, Porto.
    Country
    Brazil
    Y-DNA
    E-L515.
    mtDNA
    L2c4.
    Taxonomy
    Mulatto (Med + Sudanid).
    Hero
    Novos Baianos.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,420
    Given: 4,234

1 Not allowed!

The most Celtic ppl are Modern Central/North Frenchs, after Iberia/Alpine Europe after British Isles.
    Mostly Bristish are natives Pre-Celts who were celtized, the original Celts (Looking at La Tene, Hallsttat and at Gauls and Bealgae) were ~40% Yamnaya ~15% WHG ~40% Barcin, were prob SW/Central European looking (mostly Meds, Alpines, minor Nordic and Dinaric), its kinda hard calculate how much exactly ( Bcs depending on sample the results change a lot, and sometimes the closer result isnt the right) but using Averages of some Celtic samples we can have a decent result i guess:

Celt_Average_Gauls_Hallsttat_La-Tene,0.12691275,0.143824375,0.0545174375,0.0299380 625,0.041430625,0.006902625,-0.0001028125,0.004023875,0.0120285,0.0164014375,-0.0039885625,0.0045334375,-0.0143086875,-0.00697575,0.0117653125,0.0000828125,-0.0059814375,0.002692125,0.004509375,0.0028373125,-0.001029375,0.0028903125,-0.0019411875,-0.0039688125,0.0009955
    Last edited by Jingle Bell; 10-18-2022 at 10:42 PM.
    More Details about my Bahian & Portuguese ancestry:
    Spoiler!

Banned
    Last Online
    11-13-2022 @ 09:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 7

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle Bell View Post
    The most Celtic ppl are Modern Central/North Frenchs, after Iberia/Alpine Europe after British Isles.
    No way. The most Celtic areas are where Celtic languages are still spoken to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle Bell View Post
    Mostly Bristish are natives Pre-Celts who were celtized, the original Celts (Looking at La Tene, Hallsttat and at Gauls and Bealgae) were ~40% Yamnaya ~15% WHG ~40% Barcin, were prob SW/Central European looking (mostly Meds, Alpines, minor Nordic and Dinaric), its kinda hard calculate how much exactly ( Bcs depending on sample the results change a lot, and sometimes the closer result isnt the right) but using Averages of some Celtic samples we can have a decent result i guess:

Celt_Average_Gauls_Hallsttat_La-Tene,0.12691275,0.143824375,0.0545174375,0.0299380 625,0.041430625,0.006902625,-0.0001028125,0.004023875,0.0120285,0.0164014375,-0.0039885625,0.0045334375,-0.0143086875,-0.00697575,0.0117653125,0.0000828125,-0.0059814375,0.002692125,0.004509375,0.0028373125,-0.001029375,0.0028903125,-0.0019411875,-0.0039688125,0.0009955
    The prehistoric inhabitants of the British Isles were almost completely wiped out by the incoming Celts. If anything Insular Celts are the most pure while Continental Celts were admixed.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Brazil
    Y-DNA
    E-L515.
    mtDNA
    L2c4.
    Taxonomy
    Mulatto (Med + Sudanid).
    Hero
    Novos Baianos.
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vhugg View Post
    No way. The most Celtic areas are where Celtic languages are still spoken to this day.

The prehistoric inhabitants of the British Isles were almost completely wiped out by the incoming Celts. If anything Insular Celts are the most pure while Continental Celts were admixed.
    What????
    Mostly ancestry in Uk is from Bell Beakers, who were celtized culturally and got some intermix, the Celts were a small Elite who dominate the Islands, like the Goth dominates the Iberia but mostly Iberiains dont have more than 5% of Gothic dna. . . .
    Speaks a language dont means nothing, aframs speaks english but this dont make they English genetically. . . .
    While in areas like France and Iberia occour the REPLACEMANT of the native population by celts, in French this was nearly total while in Iberia in less quantity but still a lot
    Red this: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-05247-2
    Spoiler!

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Brazil
    Y-DNA
    E-L515.
    mtDNA
    L2c4.
    Taxonomy
    Mulatto (Med + Sudanid).
    Hero
    Novos Baianos.
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vhugg View Post

How C Celts were admixed???? The Celts was borned in La Tene, a continental culture . . . .
    Spoiler!

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread Information