Thread: Dutch language besieged by English at university

Last Online
    11-05-2023 @ 04:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Brabant, Holland, Guelders and some Hainaut.
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Norway Deal-NEXIT, Dutch Realm Atlanticist, Habsburg Legitimist
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34,728
    Given: 61,129

1 Not allowed!

Default Dutch language besieged by English at university

Dutch language besieged by English at university

By Anna Holligan BBC News, The Hague

• 31 October 2018

Students shake off their jackets and scarves as the lecturer opens up a power point presentation on "start-up innovations" and prepares to give his talk, which is entirely in English.
    The language is the university's choice, Frank van Rijnsoever of Utrecht University tells me.

So extensive is the spread of English in Dutch universities, a group of lecturers has predicted a looming "linguicide" and demanded the government in The Hague impose a moratorium banning universities from creating any additional English language courses until an official impact analysis has been conducted.
    Sixty per cent of masters programmes offered at Utrecht University are in English. At the highest honours level, virtually no courses are taught in Dutch.
    "I don't mind. Most of the literature is in English," says Mr Van Rijnsoever.

"So for me as a teacher it's not that much of a problem because we also do research in English. For the students, you see they have to cross a certain barrier to properly express themselves."

The Netherlands has one of the world's highest levels of English proficiency among non-native speaking countries, second only to Sweden, according to the latest EF English Proficiency Index. "It's something I picked up over the years, mainly while doing my PhD in academic English." the lecturer explains.

For Oskar van Megen, who graduated with a degree in sustainable development, taking an internationally orientated Master's in English made sense as the subject was broader than in the Netherlands. "It did give me a bit of a disadvantage. It took me way, way more time to understand and focus on the lecturers, and to understand the articles and write my own articles."

However, while he feels qualified for an international career, he has since struggled to find work in the Netherlands.

'Use it or lose it'
    Utrecht is not alone.
    Some Dutch universities have completely erased the Dutch language from the campus. In Eindhoven, even the sandwiches in the canteens are sold as cheese rather than with the Dutch word "kaas".

And not everyone is happy with such a creeping Anglicisation at university.
    "It's our identity, Dutch," complains Annette de Groot, professor of linguistics at the University of Amsterdam.
    "What happens to the identity of a people of a country where the native language is no longer the main language of higher education?
    "The Dutch aren't as good at English as they think they are. You shouldn't use a weaker language in education."

"If you use English in higher education, Dutch will eventually get worse. It's use it or lose it. Dutch will deteriorate and the vitality of the language will disappear. It's called imbalanced bilingualism. You add a bit of English and you lose a bit of Dutch."

While English can ease students into the global market, others feel its prevalence is excluding them from their homeland.
    And a political debate here is intensifying, as more UK citizens move here because their companies wish to remain in the EU post-Brexit,
    It is time, says Prof De Groot, for an honest debate.

"We're shifting to a more and more Anglo-Saxon view of the world. Universities want diversity, different perspectives. What you get is exactly the opposite. The Anglicisation means you end up with a much more homogeneous world."

The irony for her is that Dutch universities are merely competing for students in a bid to survive.

Utrecht University Rector Henk Kummeling argues that moving towards English has been an organic process but accepts that when competing internationally, it makes sense to use a world language.

"It's not that we are advertising for international students," he tells me from his office overlooking a bicycle-strewn campus.
    "Dutch culture will stay for centuries. When we talk as Dutchmen amongst ourselves, we speak Dutch."
    Oskar agrees, saying he enjoyed forging friendships with students from the UK, Ireland and Italy.

"Personally I don't have any troubles with not speaking Dutch or with Dutch culture, which is maybe disappearing a bit."
    But he says there has to be a limit, and suggests Groningen University in the north has taken in too many international students. "There are so many they have to set up tents just so the students can have a roof over their heads," he complains.

The danger for him is that universities are trying to increase their international profile while pushing for income from foreign students, while making compromises in other ways.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Last Online
    03-27-2022 @ 09:12 PM
    Ethnicity
    Puerto Rican American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 520
    Given: 416

1 Not allowed!

I always wondered why dutch people are so proficient with english which isn't a bad thing. But I could see how the prevalent use of the language is a threat to the dutch language and culture. I see zero point for dutch universities to be using English aside from trying to promote a more international profile.

Ülev

1 Not allowed!

I am unhappy with that

Last Online
    03-26-2024 @ 03:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic,Celtic, Romance
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry iberian, german, italian
    Country
    Argentina
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,167
    Given: 4,757

0 Not allowed!

Is the Dutch language studied in any other country besides the Netherlands and Belgium?

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggery View Post
    Is the Dutch language studied in any other country besides the Netherlands and Belgium?
    Suriname, South Africa (as Afrikaans) and, for what I have heard, there seems to be a center for Dutch Studies in Breslau, Poland. Also in Lower Saxony and North-Rhine Westpalia in Germany (for what I hear). Maybe in some specialized centers in Indonesian universities as a purely academic subject..

Malarxist-Bidenist
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2022 @ 06:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European-American
    Ancestry
    Great Britain (early 17th c.), Ireland (19th c.), Elsaß Germany (19th c.)
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Illinois
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Atlantic
    Politics
    Wählt Sozialdemokratisch! 🌹
    Hero
    Aldous Huxley
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta (शाक्तं)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,782
    Given: 5,353

0 Not allowed!

This is most unfortunate, but it makes sense as English is a fellow West-Germanic language. It is possible over time (I'm talking long term) that we will see dialect leveling and assimilation across Northern Europe. Just look with how much gusto the self-hating Germans speak English and adopt English loanwords into German with wild abandon.

Only butthurted clowns minuses my posts. -- Лиссиы

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Óttar View Post
    This is most unfortunate, but it makes sense as English is a fellow West-Germanic language. It is possible over time (I'm talking long term) that we will see dialect leveling and assimilation across Northern Europe. Just look with how much gusto the self-hating Germans speak English and adopt English loanwords into German with wild abandon.
    I hope we can put a stop to it as Anglo-American influence has proven to be increasingly nefarious.

Ülev

2 Not allowed!

I, always in spite of trends

and that's only the beginning

Last Online
    03-26-2024 @ 03:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic,Celtic, Romance
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry iberian, german, italian
    Country
    Argentina
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,167
    Given: 4,757

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lawspeaker View Post
    Suriname, South Africa (as Afrikaans) and, for what I have heard, there seems to be a center for Dutch Studies in Breslau, Poland. Also in Lower Saxony and North-Rhine Westpalia in Germany (for what I hear). Maybe in some specialized centers in Indonesian universities as a purely academic subject..
    But you do not know if the Dutch language is studied in the United Kingdom, France, Spain Sweden or some first world countries like the United States, Canada, Australia or Latin America?

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggery View Post
    But you do not know if the Dutch language is studied in the United Kingdom, France, Spain Sweden or some first world countries like the United States, Canada, Australia or Latin America?
    I have no way of knowing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information