Country
    Georgia
    Religion
    Paganism mixed with Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 210
    Given: 118

2 Not allowed!

for example these two are natives Ahiskas. Their surnames are Shagil Chkeidze and Akhmed Zautadze. The first is typical Kartvelian and the second has very Georgian accents. Native Azerbaianians and Turks have different accents. Think there is Georgian substratum in their Turkish language and he pronounces Caucasian abruptives or sharp sound Caucasian consonants that make Caucasian accent sharp sounding.

Also they have many Georgian words like xvliki, makvali, kakali, pumpula etc ) in their Turkish dialect
    Last edited by klarji; 06-07-2019 at 10:15 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 08:52 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Turkic
    Ethnicity
    Turkish, Circassian
    Ancestry
    Anatolia, Caucasus
    Country
    Turkey
    Politics
    Democrat
    Hero
    Kemal Atatürk
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 107
    Given: 163

0 Not allowed!

Thank you! This is very interesting! So Ahiska Turks are actually not of Georgian but Turks who settled there during the Ottoman times and then were later cleansed by Russia.

I believe I have Ahiska ancestors. My grandmothers mother's surname is "Ahiskalioglu" (Son of the Ahiska) which is not a common Turkish surname at all. I believe she told me her father was from Georgia as well but I have to ask her again.

You seem to know a lot about that region. Can you maybe tell me about Circassians if u have the time? My grandfather is a refugee from Abhkazia (I think) and I know nothing about them. He was blond with green eyes and looked very Russian-like and his ancestors have Christian names like "Megan" who married "Fatmet" who had a daughter called "Maç".

Last Online
    10-25-2021 @ 02:10 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Lazo-Kartvelic
    Ethnicity
    Meskhian
    Ancestry
    Samtskhe-Saatabago
    Country
    Georgia
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Anxiety View Post
    Thank you! This is very interesting! So Ahiska Turks are actually not of Georgian but Turks who settled there during the Ottoman times and then were later cleansed by Russia.
    Russians called them all Ahiska Turks. If we call Ahiska Turks only those people who are descendants of Anatolia Turks of Osmanic period, so they are. But a lot of "natives" call themselves also Turks. But not Anatolian, Osman Turks but different people. Whats about Kurds and Terekeme people officcialy they are also Ahiska Turks made such by Kremlin politics for their easy departion. But they are not assimilated into Turks.

You seem to know a lot about that region. Can you maybe tell me about Circassians if u have the time? My grandfather is a refugee from Abhkazia (I think) and I know nothing about them. He was blond with green eyes and looked very Russian-like and his ancestors have Christian names like "Megan" who married "Fatmet" who had a daughter called "Maç".
    In Turkey all muhacirs from the North Caucasus are called "Circassians" but in reality and here in the Caucasus we called Circassian only Agyghe people. Abkhazians are not Circassians but their closed relatives. They both are from the aboriginal Caucasian language family called Abkhazo-Adyghean languages. There are 3 or five languages :Abkhazo-Abazinian (sometimes thought as two independent but much closed languages Abkazian and Abazian), Ubykhian that is disapeared now after Abkhazo-Adyghean peoples genocide in the 19th century. And also Circassian or Adyghean language or Adygebze. Though linguistic science said there is two languages - Adyghean and Kabardinian or upper Adyghean. They both are closest and belong to one Circassian group of Abkhazo-Adyghean family. Ubykh language is something between Abkhazo-Adyghean and Circassian languages.
    There are some ethnographical division among all AA peoples, but especcially among the most numerous Circassians. There are or were before genocide many Circassian ethnographical groups like Shapsugs, Abadzekhs, Bjedukhs etc.
    Very cpecifis and original language family world among Caucasian peoples. They have a lot of common with others but also very specific

Last Online
    10-25-2021 @ 02:10 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Lazo-Kartvelic
    Ethnicity
    Meskhian
    Ancestry
    Samtskhe-Saatabago
    Country
    Georgia
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Christian Meskhian girl

Muslim Meskhian girl

from Samzche region in religious variations of the Samzche Meskhian national costume and headdress

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information