Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Psychiatry: Against Forced Psychiatric "Treatment" - Abolish the Mental Health Act

Last Online
    05-22-2023 @ 01:22 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    East Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    Armenian
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Alberta
    Taxonomy
    East Alpine - East Med
    Politics
    Secular Liberal, Progressive Leftist
    Hero
    Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris, Robert Spencer, Bernie Sanders, Atheism-is-Unstoppable
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,051
    Given: 756

0 Not allowed!

Antipsychotics and the reward system

I have been taking Abilify for about 6 months, and 2-3 months ago I discovered, I can no longer receive pleasure from marijuana; typically it makes me emotional, and increases my mood sometimes to manic but mostly hypomanic levels; but with a powerful antimanic like Abilify working on the dopaminergic systems; I am chemically restrained from being able to experience feelings associated with a strong dopaminergic rush which one normally gets when smoking marijuana ;the dopamine rush is completely absent now. I can get high but the dopaminergic component of the high is significantly diminished. I can still receive pleasure from cocaine; but moderately diminished. The community treatment order is an extremely coercive way of forcing you to take your treatment or else they take you to competency hearing and try to take your legal ability to make treatment decisions away from you with a declaration of incompetency; or the psychiatrist asks the review panel to order the treatment. If the review panel grants it, then the treatment is given, even by threat of physical restraint.

This so called "treatment" is a constant source of disempowerment and depression. I would like to live in a more civilized world, where we don't have laws permitting psychiatrists to run wild over drugging people for life. This treatment is ordered with the intention of preventing another psychotic episode; and I appreciate that; however it is my body and I am the ultimate person who should decide how enters into my body; I don't consent to this foreign chemical restraining agent state sanctioned and ordered by my supposed doctor; he is more like a parole officer than my counselor; he makes sure this chemical restraint continues, because in his mind this mental state prevents psychosis. and it may do so for 6 months or so; but long term treatment ex. 15-20 years shows that Antipsychotics cause "supersensitivity psychosis". They sensitize the brain to dopamine; causes D2 upregulation ; increase of receptors; which puts people more at risk of mania and positive psychotic illness in the future. So taking these drugs long term is counter-productive.
    Last edited by Petros Agapetos; 11-13-2018 at 07:22 AM.

Banned
    Last Online
    06-03-2023 @ 02:04 AM
    Ethnicity
    Alevi Kurdish
    Ancestry
    Tunceli/Dersim - Turkey
    Country
    Samoa
    Region
    Kurdistan
    Y-DNA
    something with E
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Med + Taurid (The Blade , Cybernautic , Eggyolk, Pribislav ,Commonsense,Kimbo)
    Politics
    ***! SALUTE TO THE WEST ASIAN RACE ! ***
    Hero
    my mom and siblings
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,515
    Given: 15,680

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hadouken View Post
    I had psychosis some months ago . I thought that I died even though I was alive
    you read this petros ?

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    East Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    Armenian
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Alberta
    Taxonomy
    East Alpine - East Med
    Politics
    Hero
    Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris, Robert Spencer, Bernie Sanders, Atheism-is-Unstoppable
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

you read this petros ?
    Did the antipsychotic help you reduce this psychotic state?
    What medicine was it, dosage? And how long did you take it.
    Are you voluntarily taking antipsychotics or are you also like me forced to take them?

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    East Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    Armenian
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Alberta
    Taxonomy
    East Alpine - East Med
    Politics
    Hero
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

For people forced to take antipsychotics, you can order dopamine agonists, like bromocriptine, ropinirole, and pramipexole.
    They reverse the side effects of antipsychotics due to low dopamine: lack of pleasure, sexual side effects, anhedonia, etc.

Bromocriptine is a powerful dopamine D2 agonist (Ki = 3.0 nM); D3 agonist (Ki = 5.4) ; D4 (Ki = 328); 5HT1A (Ki = 13 nM); 5HT2A (Ki = 107); Notice: the lower the Ki value the stronger the affinity / binding strength to that receptor. Dopamine agonists can be used to treat anorgasmia (inability to have an orgasm); lack of libido; reduces prolactin levels; treats hypogonadism; and fixes neuroleptic induced endocrinological disruption by restoring dopaminergic neurotransmission in the tubero-infundicbular pathway. These agonists (theoretically thinking) would reduce antipsychotic induced low dopamine side effects. Dopamine agonists are a good add on treatment for low testosterone levels impaired by the neuroleptics.
    Last edited by Petros Agapetos; 11-13-2018 at 09:10 AM.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Alevi Kurdish
    Ancestry
    Tunceli/Dersim - Turkey
    Country
    Samoa
    Region
    Kurdistan
    Y-DNA
    something with E
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Hero
    my mom and siblings
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Petros Agapetos View Post
    Did the antipsychotic help you reduce this psychotic state?
    What medicine was it, dosage? And how long did you take it.
    Are you voluntarily taking antipsychotics or are you also like me forced to take them?
    yes they helped . I took Amisulpride/Solian and Perazine . but I took the Amisulpride (200mg) only for 2 weeks because it made me restless as fuck . I kept on taking the perazine until now (so a few months) . we played around with the dosage often

I am voluntarily taking them by myself . I am not forced

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Athlete
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    I1-Z58
    mtDNA
    J1c1
    Politics
    Would not call myself pro-semitic
    Hero
    Jozef Tiso
    Religion
    Catholic Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,877
    Given: 16,891

0 Not allowed!

You need to be forced to a mental asylum

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    East Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    Armenian
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Alberta
    Taxonomy
    East Alpine - East Med
    Politics
    Hero
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

yes they helped . I took Amisulpride/Solian and Perazine . but I took the Amisulpride (200mg) only for 2 weeks because it made me restless as fuck . I kept on taking the perazine until now (so a few months) . we played around with the dosage often

I am voluntarily taking them by myself . I am not forced
    I am glad to hear they work for you;I am glad you took the drugs willingly. I am only against forced psychiatric interventions because they violate people's civil and human rights.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    East Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    Armenian
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Alberta
    Taxonomy
    East Alpine - East Med
    Politics
    Hero
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Default Abolishing Forced Psychiatry is an Ethical Imperative

Forced treatment in psychiatry cannot be defended, neither on ethical, legal or scientific grounds. It has never been shown that forced treatment does more good than harm, and it is highly likely that the opposite is true. We need to abolish our laws about this, in accordance with the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, which virtually all countries have ratified.

Forced treatment in psychiatry is not evidence-based medicine, as this builds on reliable research, clinical expertise and the patients’ values and preferences, none of which apply.

First and foremost, the patients’ values and preferences are not being respected, although the fundamental human right to equal recognition before the law applies to everyone, also to people with mental disorders. This is clear from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.

Secondly, clinical expertise is highly misleading in psychiatry. Doctors tend to credit the drugs for any spontaneous improvement and to put the blame for any untoward symptoms on the disease. What makes the practice of psychiatry particularly problematic is that many drugs can create the diseases they were supposed to alleviate, or worse diseases, or they have adverse effects that are similar to the symptoms used to define other psychiatric disorders.2 Therefore, many patients get several psychiatric diagnoses and become in treatment with several drugs. Because of the changes in the brain caused by antipsychotics, for example, continued treatment can lead to supersensitivity psychosis, which should be treated by tapering off the drug, but which is usually treated by an increase in dose, or the addition of an additional antipsychotic, which increases the harms. When patients try to come off their drugs, they often get abstinence symptoms similar to the disease being treated, and they are therefore usually put back on full dose.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    East Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    Armenian
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Alberta
    Taxonomy
    East Alpine - East Med
    Politics
    Hero
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Do you support forced psychiatric "treatment" of the "mentally ill"?
    Do you support abolishing forced psychiatry? What are your thoughts?
    Forced treatment is unthinkable in medicine; but in psychiatry it is routine. This is ethically unacceptable to me.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Alevi Kurdish
    Ancestry
    Tunceli/Dersim - Turkey
    Country
    Samoa
    Region
    Kurdistan
    Y-DNA
    something with E
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Hero
    my mom and siblings
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Petros Agapetos View Post
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Do you support forced psychiatric "treatment" of the "mentally ill"?
    only if the patient is criminal otherwise and cant control himself

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information