Thread: The Battle of Cer 1914 year WW1 Serbia (videos)

Banned
    Last Online
    04-10-2021 @ 08:05 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,951
    Given: 5,518

3 Not allowed!

Default The Battle of Cer 1914 year WW1 Serbia (videos)

The Battle of Cer was a military campaign fought between Austria-Hungary and Serbia in August 1914 during the early stages of the Serbian Campaign of the First World War. It took place around Cer Mountain and several surrounding villages, as well as the town of Šabac.

The battle, part of the first Austro-Hungarian invasion of Serbia, began on the night of 15 August when elements of the Serbian 1st Combined Division encountered Austro-Hungarian outposts that had been established on the slopes of Cer Mountain earlier in the invasion. The clashes that followed escalated into a battle for control over several towns and villages near the mountain, especially Šabac. On 19 August, the morale of the Austro-Hungarians collapsed and thousands of soldiers retreated back into Austria-Hungary, many of them drowning in the Drina River as they fled in panic. On 24 August the Serbs re-entered Šabac, marking the end of the battle. Serbian casualties after nearly ten days of fighting were 3,000–5,000 killed and 15,000 wounded. Those of the Austro-Hungarians were significantly higher, with 6,000–10,000 soldiers killed, 30,000 wounded and 4,500 taken as prisoners of war. The Serb victory over the Austro-Hungarians marked the first Allied victory over the Central Powers in the First World War, and the first aerial dogfight of the war took place during the battle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cer

The Battle of Cer
    Documentary film about the beginnings of World War I on the Balkans. Attack of the Austro-Hungarian army on Serbia and famous battle of Cer, which took place in the middle of August 1914. This film, mainly composed of photographs since the battle was not filmed, was carefully edited in an evocative manner to show the first battle in World War I and the first, completely unexpected victory of the Serbian army over the Austro-Hungarian one.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Maybe my ancestors are in these videos, it's weird to know that.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-03-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Dalmatia
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,636
    Given: 40

1 Not allowed!

As I said in other thread my great-great-grandfather was mobilised in Austro-Hungarian army and he was sented on Cer 1914.
    He escaped on Serbian side, because he did not want to fighting against own people. When he came on Serbian side he had to say some Orthodox prayer, to prove on this way that he is a Serb and not spy. Language was irrelavant, because Croatians and Bosnian muslims speak same language as Serbs... He was suspicious before he showed knowledge of Orthodox prayers.
    He survived battle of Cer, and with Serbian participated in retreat through Albania https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbia...hrough_Albania
    He survived the war and return to home.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I don't have much information about my ancestors before my great grandparents, I only know family story that my great grandfather's family from this area (west Serbia) were all killed by Austrian soldiers. My great grandfather said he escaped it as child because he was outside of home with cattle in field, latter he was gathered with other refugees.

It is even explained in videos that there were many civil victims before this battle when Austrian soldiers arrived from Bosnian side of Drina in Serbia.

Thread Information