Quote Originally Posted by Nazarene View Post
I disagree, Martin Luther kicked off the Reformation movement and it had nothing to do with Jewish interests. Luther was not a fan of Jews or Judaism either if you read his writings, you'll find he was quite hostile towards them.

The support of Zionism by many evangelical Christians occurred about 300 years later when John Darby started supporting a dispensationalist theory in his explanation of the eschatological timeline. Dispensationalism with it's ideas of the Jews returning to biblical Israel before Christ returns for his reign was the reason that many Christians were ready to politically support the Zionist agenda. And this process was escalated through Scofield's annotated bible which became widely read in the United States and is known for it's heavy support for the dispensationalist theology.

I very much doubt that the Protestant Reformation started because of the Jews, rather some Jews have made allies in the Protestant community as other Christians (especially the Orthodox) are not very open to them.
Hi once again.
Not going to rival your lines because everything you wrote is true, but I'll nuance my answer a little more: I didn't say early protestant scholars were judeophile, quite the contrary, but the essence of their reform was mainly puritan (re-judaization) specially concerning going back to the old testament and the notion of glory of God on earth and primacy of book over institution. Basically a contestation of catholicism by going back to a source that eventually alienated Christians to Jewish interest.
The important question is this: where does most protestants position themselves on the jewish question? no need to say that most of them are evangelicals, not lutheran or calvinist.