Thread: Iceland's president admits he went 'too far' with threat to ban pineapple pizza

Hatchling
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Central European
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,880
    Given: 7,415

1 Not allowed!

Default Iceland's president admits he went 'too far' with threat to ban pineapple pizza

Gudni Johannesson reflects on 2017 topping scandal that divided the internet and drew a rebuke from Canada

Nearly two years after the president of Iceland drew Canada's ire with his disparaging comments about pineapple pizza, Gudni Johannesson says he regrets his off-the-cuff remarks.

During a visit to a local high school in February 2017, Johannesson responded to a student's question about pizza by saying he was fundamentally opposed to the fruit topping and that he would like to ban it.

The comment sparked international debate about the so-called Hawaiian pizza, the invention of southern Ontario restaurateur Sam Panopoulos, who died in June 2017 at the age of 82.

"That's where the influence of this office sort of, yeah, got the better of me," Johannesson told As It Happens host Carol Off during an interview for the show's 50th anniversary, in which he reflected on the divisive saga. "I went a step too far."

#TeamPineapple

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau weighed in at the time, issuing a tweet in which he declared himself a member "#TeamPineapple" and stated his support for "this delicious Southwestern Ontario creation."

Even Panopoulos himself entered the fray.

In a February 2017 interview with As It Happens, the famed pizzamaker said of the president: "He should know better. I'm sure he is a lot younger than I am and I was doing pizza when I was a young guy, you know what I mean?"

The debate became so widespread and intense that Johannesson had to issue a statement explaining that he had neither the will nor the power to ban the sweet and savoury creation.

"I had to think it through and sort of calm these stormy waters and I issued a statement, a presidential statement, on pineapples on pizza," Johannesson said.

"As much as I do not like pineapple on pizza, the individual freedom of having the topping of your choice overrides that."

However, he maintains to this day that the topping is no good.

"I have nothing against pineapples, but when they're put on pizza they get all sort of mushy," he said.

'For pizzas, I recommend seafood'

Off questioned Johannesson's convenient change of heart about the Hawaiian pizza, telling him: "Sir, we call it a flip-flop."

The president replied: "I think politicians in general should be allowed to not flip-flop, but revise, to change their mind. You know, what's wrong with changing your mind?"

But the scandal didn't end there. In his revised statement, Johannesson made yet another controversial remark about pizza toppings, writing: "For pizzas, I recommend seafood."

That prompted Panopoulos to suggest the president was simply trying to bolster his nation's fishing industry.

"I think Sam Panopoulos correctly guessed what was behind all this," Johannesson admitted in his interview with Off.

"Iceland are a nation of fisherfolk and, you know, if everyone put seafood on their pizzas, that would be a very nice thing to do," he said.

Still, he balked at Off's suggestion he was "in the pocket of big fish."

"No, I wouldn't go that far," he said. "But in all honestly, seafood on pizza is good. You should try it."

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...izza-1.4905000

. . .
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:37 AM
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Region
    Moldova
    Y-DNA
    J2a1b3 (J-Z467)
    mtDNA
    H14b
    Politics
    Noam Chomsky
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,375
    Given: 31,470

1 Not allowed!

pineapple or corn on pizza are awful. the Viking is right

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Eagle
    Ethnicity
    Straight
    Country
    Taiwan
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,815
    Given: 7,518

1 Not allowed!

Pineapple on pizza is wrong.

The only pizzas I like are Margherita & 4 stagioni

Malarxist-Bidenist
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2022 @ 06:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European-American
    Ancestry
    Great Britain (early 17th c.), Ireland (19th c.), Elsaß Germany (19th c.)
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Illinois
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Atlantic
    Politics
    Wählt Sozialdemokratisch! 🌹
    Hero
    Aldous Huxley
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta (शाक्तं)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,782
    Given: 5,353

0 Not allowed!

I don't care for sweet things on my pizza. I had some sun-dried tomatoes on a pizza a few weeks back, and it was awful. Never again. But to ban a pizza topping is a ridiculous example of government overreach.

Only butthurted clowns minuses my posts. -- Лиссиы

Caveat Emptor

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hulu View Post
    Pineapple on pizza is wrong.

The only pizzas I like are Margherita & 4 stagioni

The quattro stagioni looks fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by Óttar View Post
    I don't care for sweet things on my pizza. I had some sun-dried tomatoes on a pizza a few weeks back, and it was awful. Never again. But to ban a pizza topping is a ridiculous example of government overreach.
    I don't think it was serious. Probably trolling - like how do you put this ban into law via legislature

Thread Information