Australia
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-Z17855)
    mtDNA
    R30
    Politics
    Where the wind blows
    Religion
    Awaiting the return of Sikeliot our saviour!
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,176
    Given: 3,162

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Iloko View Post
    The Chinese in Phils are mostly Fujian I believe. Though I read online about Hong Kongers having been the ones to assimilate more readily into the population..like intermarrying with the natives and leaving behind their identities and changing their names etc. While the Fujians were more the ones to have kept and held on to their Chinese identity rather than fully assimilating like the Hong Kongers.

I read that a lot of Chinese are invading the Phils these days, though not really too sure which part of China they're flooding in from lol:
    Yeah I have heard about that, I think it's the same in many SE Asian countries. I heard Chinese often have their own separate Chinese schools that they send their children to and somewhat self-segregate themselves, is it common for Chinese people to speak the local language there?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtiberian
    Ethnicity
    Andalusian from Seville
    Country
    Spain
    Taxonomy
    Grazilmediterranid
    Politics
    Autocratic
    Hero
    René Descartes
    Religion
    Cartesian
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,241
    Given: 7,078

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by arkas View Post
    Yeah I have heard about that, I think it's the same in many SE Asian countries. I heard Chinese often have their own separate Chinese schools that they send their children to and somewhat self-segregate themselves, is it common for Chinese people to speak the local language there?
    Yes very common. My sister-in-law's sister's husband is a pure-blood Chinese coming from a rich family here, and he speaks Tagalog fluently like a native, though this is a case of intermarriage, but I'm sure many of the Fujian here are even tri-lingual in Fujian+Tagalog+English. I've even seen a lot of Indians here speaking Tagalog as well.

And yea there are some Chinese schools here in Manila. Btw also lots of Korean immigrants here these days since their invasion back in 2006, though they usually keep to themselves most of the time all the whilst enjoying and appreciating the culture...though I think the Chinese are much more open to intermarrying and mixing. I heard the Koreans think of Philippines as the summer capital of Asia lol. I see tons of Koreans and Chinese here in my city of Makati; I'm even usually good at telling them apart from each other just by appearance lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information