Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the Vlachs have had a country?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ar-Rum, Ottoman, Byzantine
    Ethnicity
    Bosniak
    Ancestry
    25% N.Macedonian, 25% Albanian + 50% Dalmatia Slavic mixed Vlach
    Country
    Bosnia
    Region
    Dalmatia
    Y-DNA
    I2
    mtDNA
    H28
    Taxonomy
    Dinarid + Pontid
    Politics
    Neo-Ottomanism
    Hero
    Tzepeles Komnenos, Mehmed II
    Religion
    Ottoman Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,216
    Given: 5,754

0 Not allowed!

Vlach is everyone who score Romania, Bulgaria in top 3 of most gedmatch results...

Before DNA tests it was common belief that only Latin speakers are Vlachs, but that was false assumption due to assimilations.

Vlachs are Romans ... identity stolen by Greeks.

Vlachs are Thracians, Illyrians, Dacians

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Macedonian
    Country
    Macedonia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,998
    Given: 1,604

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kis_Kócos View Post
    According to Gesta Hungarorum blachs lived in Pannonia not vlachs. "blach" is a germanic word, it was the name of pannonian franks, bavarians who have settled in Carpathian Basin.

The blach and vlach name is very similar but not same.

The original Gesta Hungarorum:
    http://mek.oszk.hu/02200/02245/02245.htm

"Azt a földet - mondták - szlovének, bolgárok, blachok és a rómaiak pásztorai lakják. " = This land - they said - is a home of slovenes, bulgars, blachs and shepherds of romans.

The blachs and roman shepherds are not same.

Latin Vlachs had shepherd nomad culture, they originated from West Balkans, which was a part of Roman Empire:

after that they lived in Balkans, Central Europe, East Europe and almost everywhere without statehood.
    First of all, Vlachs don't call themselves Vlachs, that's an exonym and that is how they were called by the Slavs and the Germanic.
    So some people were calling them Vlachs, others Blachs, depending of different pronounce of the word.
    Either way, Vlachs or Blachs, were called those who were speaking Latin language and the Franks and other Germanics did not!
    Therefore, your point is not valid!

Last Online
    Today @ 04:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Barbarian
    Ancestry
    Uralo-German
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,196
    Given: 9,818

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aspar View Post
    First of all, Vlachs don't call themselves Vlachs, that's an exonym and that is how they were called by the Slavs and the Germanic.
    So some people were calling them Vlachs, others Blachs, depending of different pronounce of the word.
    Either way, Vlachs or Blachs, were called those who were speaking Latin language and the Franks and other Germanics did not!
    Therefore, your point is not valid!
    Really? The Gesta Hungarorum never wrote that "blachs" were latins or romans... You can see it with your own eyes:

According to Anonimus (the writer) blachs and roman shepherds were 2 different ethnicity. Vlach and Blach are not same.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Macedonian
    Country
    Macedonia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,998
    Given: 1,604

1 Not allowed!

Really? The Gesta Hungarorum never wrote that "blachs" were latins or romans... You can see it with your own eyes:

According to Anonimus (the writer) blachs and roman shepherds were 2 different ethnicity. Vlach and Blach are not same.
    As I said, Vlaches or Vlachs and Blaches or Blachs is the same.
    Blaches is the Germanic word for Vlachs!
    For reference, see "Grammatike Romanike Etoi Makedono-Blachike(Roman or Macedono-Vlach Grammar).", a grammar printed in 1813 in Austria!
    The Hungarians have borrowed the word directly from the Germanics it seems.
    Nevertheless, my point is still on spot, no Germanics were called Blaches but the word was reserved strictly for Latin speakers.

Banned
    Last Online
    08-01-2019 @ 07:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Hungary
    Region
    Roma
    Y-DNA
    J2a1b>M92>CTS2906>S8230>Z38463*
    mtDNA
    J1c
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,573
    Given: 3,466

0 Not allowed!

According to Gesta Hungarorum blachs lived in Pannonia not vlachs. "blach" is a germanic word, it was the name of pannonian franks, bavarians who have settled in Carpathian Basin.
    The blach and vlach name is very similar but not same.
    Until middle 13th century, only Blach(Blaci,Blachus,Blacus) was used for vlachs.
    Medieval latin western documents also use Blaci, Blachi, and Blacki for romanians.
    Medieval croatian documents also use Blaci, Blachi to describe the romanians.
    Saxons preserved the old Bloch for vlach

The panonian blachs in Gesta are clearly romance speaking sheperds from Keszthely culture
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keszthely_culture

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Barbarian
    Ancestry
    Uralo-German
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by IncelSlayer View Post
    Until middle 13th century, only Blach(Blaci,Blachus,Blacus) was used for vlachs.
    Medieval latin western documents also use Blaci, Blachi, and Blacki for romanians.
    Medieval croatian documents also use Blaci, Blachi to describe the romanians.
    Saxons preserved the old Bloch for vlach

The panonian blachs in Gesta are clearly romance speaking sheperds from Keszthely culture
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keszthely_culture

That's impassible because the Gesta Hungarorum says the blachs and roman shepherds (vlachs) are 2 different ethnicity and the first one is not latin.

The pannonian blachs cannot be vlachs because you lived in Albania in this time:

The keszthely culture have nothing to do with romanians or vlachs. You originated from South West Balkans, West Hungary (Pannonia) was far away from you. This peoples were romanized native pannonians, not vlachs and all of them gone in 7. century, because they were assimilated by slavs.

Ülev

0 Not allowed!

Blach = Vlach? - send them to Blachownia

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Barbarian
    Ancestry
    Uralo-German
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

"Concerning this historical period, the supporters of the Daco-Roman myth consider it to be the background for the epic accounts of the Gesta Hungarorum, which are often quoted by them with the purpose of proving that the Vlach were the inhabitants of Transylvania before Árpád conquered the land. This literary work, that belongs to the fiction genre, mentions the dukes of Bihar, Bánát and Transylvania, who are said to be respectively a Khazar, a Slav and a Vlach. There is no trace of such characters in any contemporary document because they are completely imaginary. On the other hand, very prominent personalities that were indeed quite engaged with the Magyar conquest like Emperor Arnulf of the Franks, Kings Svatopluk and Mojmir II of Moravia, Czar Simeon of Bulgaria or Leon VI of Byzantium are not mentioned at all in the Gesta Hungarorum ‒ any trustworthy history treatise would not fail to mention them. Besides this, important battles are omitted and there are many anachronisms mainly regarding peoples that were not present in the Carpathian Basin in that period, like Cumans and Vlach. The author was an anonymous writer of the 12th century c.e. that projected the situation of his time back to three centuries earlier, and his accounts are in sharp contrast with the contemporary sources that reported the Magyar conquest as eyewitnesses. Such documents attest that the peoples involved in the events related with the Magyar conquest of the Carpathian Basin were Slovenes and other Slavic tribes, Moravians, Avars, Bulgarians, Franks and Gepids, but no Romans, Vlach or Cumans. The author of Gesta Hungarorum may have been led into confusion by Slavic accounts about the fact that the Magyars seized the Danubian Basin from the Franks, that were then called (as well as Italians) "Voloch", "Vlasi" by the Slavs ‒ hence the Hungarian translation of the toponyms containing the term "frank/franc" into "olasz[i]", and the Romany name of France, "Valshi", derived from the Slavic term. "
    http://www.imninalu.net/myths-Vlach.htm

Ethnic map of Carpathian Basin after the hungarian conquest:

There were no latins here in this time...

Banned
    Last Online
    08-01-2019 @ 07:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Hungary
    Region
    Roma
    Y-DNA
    J2a1b>M92>CTS2906>S8230>Z38463*
    mtDNA
    J1c
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,573
    Given: 3,466

0 Not allowed!

That's impassible
    Once upon a time there was an old mother pig who had three little pigs and not enough food to feed them. So when they were old enough, she sent them out into the world to seek their fortunes.

The first little pig was very lazy. He didn't want to work at all and he built his house out of straw. The second little pig worked a little bit harder but he was somewhat lazy too and he built his house out of sticks. Then, they sang and danced and played together the rest of the day.

The third little pig worked hard all day and built his house with bricks. It was a sturdy house complete with a fine fireplace and chimney. It looked like it could withstand the strongest winds.

The next day, a wolf happened to pass by the lane where the three little pigs lived; and he saw the straw house, and he smelled the pig inside. He thought the pig would make a mighty fine meal and his mouth began to water.

So he knocked on the door and said:

"Little pig! Little pig!
    Let me in! Let me in!"
    But the little pig saw the wolf's big paws through the keyhole, so he answered back:

"No! No! No!
    Not by the hairs on my chinny chin chin!"
    Three Little Pigs straw houseThen the wolf showed his teeth and said:

"Then I'll huff
    and I'll puff
    and I'll blow your house down."
    So he huffed and he puffed and he blew the house down! The wolf opened his jaws very wide and bit down as hard as he could, but the first little pig escaped and ran away to hide with the second little pig.

The wolf continued down the lane and he passed by the second house made of sticks; and he saw the house, and he smelled the pigs inside, and his mouth began to water as he thought about the fine dinner they would make.

So he knocked on the door and said:

"Little pigs! Little pigs!
    Let me in! Let me in!"
    But the little pigs saw the wolf's pointy ears through the keyhole, so they answered back:

"No! No! No!
    Not by the hairs on our chinny chin chin!"
    So the wolf showed his teeth and said:

"Then I'll huff
    and I'll puff
    So he huffed and he puffed and he blew the house down! The wolf was greedy and he tried to catch both pigs at once, but he was too greedy and got neither! His big jaws clamped down on nothing but air and the two little pigs scrambled away as fast as their little hooves would carry them.

The wolf chased them down the lane and he almost caught them. But they made it to the brick house and slammed the door closed before the wolf could catch them. The three little pigs they were very frightened, they knew the wolf wanted to eat them. And that was very, very true. The wolf hadn't eaten all day and he had worked up a large appetite chasing the pigs around and now he could smell all three of them inside and he knew that the three little pigs would make a lovely feast.

Three Little Pigs brick house

So the wolf knocked on the door and said:

"Little pigs! Little pigs!
    Let me in! Let me in!"
    But the little pigs saw the wolf's narrow eyes through the keyhole, so they answered back:

"No! No! No!
    Not by the hairs on our chinny chin chin!"
    So the wolf showed his teeth and said:

"Then I'll huff
    and I'll puff
    Well! he huffed and he puffed. He puffed and he huffed. And he huffed, huffed, and he puffed, puffed; but he could not blow the house down. At last, he was so out of breath that he couldn't huff and he couldn't puff anymore. So he stopped to rest and thought a bit.

But this was too much. The wolf danced about with rage and swore he would come down the chimney and eat up the little pig for his supper. But while he was climbing on to the roof the little pig made up a blazing fire and put on a big pot full of water to boil. Then, just as the wolf was coming down the chimney, the little piggy pulled off the lid, and plop! in fell the wolf into the scalding water.

So the little piggy put on the cover again, boiled the wolf up, and the three little pigs ate him for supper.

Last Online
    10-26-2023 @ 08:46 PM
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Krajina/Montenegro
    Country
    Serbia
    Y-DNA
    E-V13>FGC11450
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 679
    Given: 883

2 Not allowed!

I think that Aromanians did deserve their own state or at least some kind of autonomy however this would have been really hard to achive considering how they are as you said dispresed across Balkans and how their numbers weren't that big compared to other Balkan ethnic groups. Besides that it seem they never had any true national awakening and plan for their own national state instead they were absorbed in other Balkan nations.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information