Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,829
    Given: 24,541

3 Not allowed!

Default Who were the Nabateans? By Ahmad al-Jallad

Did the Nabataeans – the builders of Petra – speak Arabic? The Nabataeans emerge in the 4th c. BCE, at the southern edge of the Levant, roughly in the area of the Iron Age kingdom of Edom. Theories of Nabataean origins usually regard them as immigrants from North or East Arabia.

There really isn't any good evidence for this. The earliest mention of the Nabataeans already situates them in the region. Perhaps the reason why many scholars have sought an origin in Arabia is because the Nabataeans seem to have been speakers of Arabic

Why do we think this? First, their personal names often have Arabic etymologies. For example: ʿabdu-ʾal-baʿali 'worshiper of Baal', wahbu-allāhi 'gift of Allāh'. Their primary god's name ḏū-sharē (Dusares) 'the one of the Shara (mountains)' is also Arabic.

Are names enough? After all, the Nabataeans wrote their inscriptions in Aramaic. Doesn’t that mean they spoke Aramaic? Aramaic was the written language across the Near East @ this time, so writing Aramaic isn't good evidence for speaking it. pic: http://goo.gl/ztQVWt

The Aramaic of the Nabataeans has an Arabic flavor, suggesting they were in fact speaking Arabic. Some good examples are loanwords: ġayr 'other than'; nasīb 'father-in-law'; wold 'offspring'. Sentence structure is also influenced by Arabic.

Nabataean Aramaic Papyri from the Cave of Letters (Naḥal Ḥever, Israel) include glosses in the Arabic language, suggesting that while they wrote legal documents in Aramaic, proceedings were in Arabic, e.g.: ṭarīqah 'custom'; maġnam 'profit'; ʿaqd 'contract', etc. pic: wiki.

But perhaps the most beautiful example of the use of Arabic among the Nabataeans is the ʿEn ʿAvdat inscription (En Avdat, Israel). This text records an offering to the god Obodas. The introduction and dedication are in Aramaic but the liturgical poem is in Arabic.

The Arabic translates as: ‘May he (the god) act that there be neither ransom nor scar; so be it that death would seek us, may he not aid its seeking; and so be it that a wound would desire (a victim) let it not desire us!’

And in the Nabataean Arabic:
    fa yafʿal lā fidā wa-lā ʾaṯarā
    fa-kon honā yabġenā al-mawto lā ʾabġā-h
    fa-kon honā ʾarāda gorḥo lā yorednā

This has the same rhyme structure as the Baal Poem I previously tweeted

So if the Nabataeans were originally speakers of Arabic, were they Arabs? We don’t know if the Nabataeans used this term for self-identification, but outside peoples definitely referred to them that way. Maybe this is why the Romans called annexed Nabataea Provincia Arabia.

But even if the Nabataeans called themselves Arabs, we shouldn’t confuse this with the ethnic/nationalistic meaning of the term today. There is no evidence that they saw themselves as belonging to a larger group including other peoples from the Arabian Peninsula.

If the Nabataeans were Arabic speakers, does that mean they migrated from the Arabian Peninsula? Not necessarily. The earliest Arabic inscription, early 1st millennium BCE, comes from Jordan (in pic). The Assyrians fought battles with Arabs in this region in the same period.

Perhaps they were one of many indigenous Arabic-speaking groups on the East Bank of the Jordan, up to the Ḥawrān in the north and the northern Ḥigāz in the south, who became visible following the collapse of the Iron Age kingdoms of Jordan.

The last attestation of Nabataean Arabic occurs in the Petra Papyri, 6th c. CE. These documents record many Arabic words in Greek transcription from the city of Petra. After this period, it seems Nabataean Arabic was replaced by dialects coming from the Peninsula.

Nabataean Arabic is the dialect of Arabic used by the Nabtaeans, which we can partially reconstruct based on their inscriptions and Greek transcriptions. It is definitely not the amcestor of Classical Arabic or Quranic Arabic, as it had already lost tanwin and (cont.)

Did not participate in grammatical innovations characterizing Higâzî, like the relative pronoun alladhî, etc. Hopefully more texts in Nab.Arabic will appear to help fill in the gaps in our knowledge.

The outcome of case in both varieties suggests that they stem from an ancestor that had tanwin, so not our earliest attested Nabataean Arabic. Proto Higâzî is probably the southern mosy peripheral dialect of Old Arabic, and it eventually gives rise to the central Arabian dialects

Though migration and settlement by Higazi nabataeans in places like qaryat al-faw and nagrân in the first few centuries CE. The evidence from the pottery supports nabataean settlement in these places.

Proto-Nabataeo-Higazi would be in my view Proto-Arabic.

source --> https://twitter.com/Safaitic/status/1003701896429887490

As you can CLEARLY see, the ancient Nabateans were Arabs in today's ethnic terminology, and they most likely originated during the migration of these ancient Arab tribes in the 1st millennium BCE, not directly from the Arabian peninsula.

More on their origins: http://etc.ancient.eu/interviews/nab...ncient-arabia/

Son of the Umayyads
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-19-2024 @ 04:11 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic-Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    Kavkazian(Paternal) Iraqi Bedouin(maternal)
    Ancestry
    Adyghea, Urals, Yemen, Syrian Desert
    Country
    Adyghea
    Region
    New Jersey
    Y-DNA
    T(Adyghean ancestors)
    mtDNA
    J1b(Arabian Bedouin)
    Taxonomy
    Alpinized-Arabid
    Politics
    Arabian peninsula nationalism. Unity our strength division our weakeness
    Hero
    Omar Al-Mukhtar, King Fisal Al-Saud, Queen Mavia, Queen Sheba, Sultan Bin Saif, Abeer Al-Janbai,
    Religion
    Bedouin Animism
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,489
    Given: 13,022

1 Not allowed!

They were Arabian to the bone. Their samples matched with Saudis and Bedouins. My great grandmother is from Petra btw from the Howetiat tribe who claim Nabatean ancestry. I am proud to descent from these people. They were also pagan and very proud of their paganism often worshipping their goddesses like Al-lat the mother and creator and Al-Uzza the goddess of war, fertility. Al-Uzza is always depicted with the Crescent and star btw.

Just because they adopted Aramaic does not mean they were Arameans lol. Nabatean Aramaic was very Arabic influenced and not mutual intelligibie with other Aramaic dialects. Their religion was Arabian paganism with strong animistic traditions. Nabateans were Arab/Arabian but they were a tribe an Arabian tribe like the Liyhanite and Qadarite.
    My genetic results
    1 50% Azeri_Dagestan +50% BedouinA @ 2.879975

One nation and one destiny

Banned
    Last Online
    01-06-2021 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by StonyArabia View Post
    They were Arabian to the bone. Their samples matched with Saudis and Bedouins. My great grandmother is from Petra btw from the Howetiat tribe who claim Nabatean ancestry. I am proud to descent from these people. They were also pagan and very proud of their paganism often worshipping their goddesses like Al-lat the mother and creator and Al-Uzza the goddess of war, fertility. Al-Uzza is always depicted with the Crescent and star btw.

Just because they adopted Aramaic does not mean they were Arameans lol. Nabatean Aramaic was very Arabic influenced and not mutual intelligibie with other Aramaic dialects. Their religion was Arabian paganism with strong animistic traditions. Nabateans were Arab/Arabian but they were a tribe an Arabian tribe like the Liyhanite and Qadarite.
    What samples? I mean, I haven't seen them, honestly. I guess the ancient gladiator from Britain clustered very closely to us and to the Jordanians, Syrians and Yemenite Jews. Indeed they were Aramaic speaking Arabs or Arabic speakers.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ar-Rum, Ottoman, Byzantine
    Ethnicity
    Bosniak
    Ancestry
    25% N.Macedonian, 25% Albanian + 50% Dalmatia Slavic mixed Vlach
    Country
    Bosnia
    Region
    Dalmatia
    Y-DNA
    I2
    mtDNA
    H28
    Taxonomy
    Dinarid + Pontid
    Politics
    Neo-Ottomanism
    Hero
    Tzepeles Komnenos, Mehmed II
    Religion
    Ottoman Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,216
    Given: 5,754

0 Not allowed!

Colums are Roman not Arab... Petra isn't Arab

Don't tell me you are an Arab who wants to present Petra as Arab project

Son of the Umayyads
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-19-2024 @ 04:11 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic-Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    Kavkazian(Paternal) Iraqi Bedouin(maternal)
    Ancestry
    Adyghea, Urals, Yemen, Syrian Desert
    Country
    Adyghea
    Region
    New Jersey
    Y-DNA
    T(Adyghean ancestors)
    mtDNA
    J1b(Arabian Bedouin)
    Taxonomy
    Alpinized-Arabid
    Politics
    Arabian peninsula nationalism. Unity our strength division our weakeness
    Hero
    Omar Al-Mukhtar, King Fisal Al-Saud, Queen Mavia, Queen Sheba, Sultan Bin Saif, Abeer Al-Janbai,
    Religion
    Bedouin Animism
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,489
    Given: 13,022

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Toppo900 View Post
    What samples? I mean, I haven't seen them, honestly. I guess the ancient gladiator from Britain clustered very closely to us and to the Jordanians, Syrians and Yemenite Jews. Indeed they were Aramaic speaking Arabs or Arabic speakers.
    Yes he was most likely Nabatean. There are other samples that have been decoded however that show this relation. Damn right I descent from them through my great grandmother. Hopefully once they become more common they will tell us the story.

Aramaic was a lingua Franca nothing more than that and it developed into a creole language of the different areas. For example even Bahrain used Aranamic but no one says they are Armeans because it's ridiculous.
    My genetic results
    1 50% Azeri_Dagestan +50% BedouinA @ 2.879975

One nation and one destiny

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bosniensis View Post
    Colums are Roman not Arab... Petra isn't Arab

Don't tell me you are an Arab who wants to present Petra as Arab project

They were influenced by Greco-Roman civilization. They were built before the Romans annexed it in the 2nd century AD, stupid.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ar-Rum, Ottoman, Byzantine
    Ethnicity
    Bosniak
    Ancestry
    25% N.Macedonian, 25% Albanian + 50% Dalmatia Slavic mixed Vlach
    Country
    Bosnia
    Region
    Dalmatia
    Y-DNA
    I2
    mtDNA
    H28
    Taxonomy
    Dinarid + Pontid
    Politics
    Neo-Ottomanism
    Hero
    Tzepeles Komnenos, Mehmed II
    Religion
    Ottoman Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,216
    Given: 5,754

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Toppo900 View Post

They were influenced by Greco-Roman civilization. They were built before the Romans annexed it in the 2nd century AD, stupid.
    copycats

imitators.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by StonyArabia View Post
    Yes he was most likely Nabatean. There are other samples that have been decoded however that show this relation. Damn right I descent from them through my great grandmother. Hopefully once they become more common they will tell us the story.

Aramaic was a lingua Franca nothing more than that and it developed into a creole language of the different areas. For example even Bahrain used Aranamic but no one says they are Armeans because it's ridiculous.
    Elias told me that they were not Arabs, lol. He's incredibly biased, obviously. Yup. I do hope that they would test the samples soon. I have a feeling that they would cluster very closely to us like that gladiator.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bosniensis View Post
    copycats

imitators.
    The same goes to the rest of the western world today.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    02-28-2023 @ 08:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Believe me I'm still trying to figure this out.
    Country
    Antarctica
    mtDNA
    HV1c
    Politics
    Central-Left
    Hero
    Science
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,310
    Given: 1,961

1 Not allowed!

Very interesting period in history, the Levant was very diverse.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information