Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethnologue lists France as a country where Portuguese, Spanish and Italian are spoken

I was blind but now I see
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-10-2024 @ 03:48 AM
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,665
    Given: 5,623

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    They always did - the Southern Euros have been there for slightly longer than the North Africans, plus there are some South Americans in Paris in particular too.
    Yes, southern european immigration to France precedes the north african immigration.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,478
    Given: 5,059

1 Not allowed!

Yes. Paris also occasionally known around here as the second most Portuguese city in the world.
    https://tvi24.iol.pt/politica/dia-de...al-de-portugal
    They went there in big numbers under Salazar dictatorship especially from Northern Portugal. We have an unfair semi stereotyped vision of them though. Like Seb mentioned the "Jean-Pierre arrête, arrête-toi. Tu vas tomber filho da puta!" screaming speech it's almost iconographic of our summers, specially in the little villages.

We called them in a somewhat derogatory way, Avec (s). It was after the great wave of emigration in the 1960s, that gave rise to the expression 'avec'. From all over our country, but especially in the north, hundreds of thousands of Portuguese went looking for jobs and a better life in France. Most of them were poorly educated people, and when they returned home on their summer vacations, they spoke a mixture of Portuguese and French that invited the people in here to make fun/jokes of them. Hence the 'avecs' are the ones who return to the village with the good cars, new customs, many stories to tell, and eager to show off they made it.

They are ok, most just good hardworking people. We tend at times to be ill mannered/rude and bitchy against our own people. There's no bigger enemy to a tuga than other tuga himself.
    What's is more funnier is most of us have family there, I for example I have plenty of them in Paris and other cities.

All the rage my little dark age... Cernunnos's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ibero-Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Ancestry
    Portuguese. 53% EEF + 29% Steppe + 13% WHG + 5% Iberomaurusian
    Country
    Portugal
    Region
    Lisbon
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF27 (Most likely)
    mtDNA
    Faço puto de ideia
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Hero
    Não tenho 10 anos...
    Relationship Status
    It's complicated
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,341
    Given: 2,226

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianus Rex View Post
    Paris has the biggest Portuguese community abroad, around 250K Portuguese in the Paris region, the 2nd largest foreign community after Algerians. The figures easily could double if Portuguese descent persons would be included.

Until a few years ago before Paris SG became a rich club, I remember that when Benfica played in Paris there was always more Benfica supporters than supporting the local team. The stadium was full of Portuguese immigrants.

Portuguese football team SL Benfica sells more Football Skirts in France than Real Madrid.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ÁGUIA View Post
    Yes. Paris also occasionally known around here as the second most Portuguese city in the world.
    https://tvi24.iol.pt/politica/dia-de...al-de-portugal
    They went there in big numbers under Salazar dictatorship especially from Northern Portugal. We have an unfair semi stereotyped vision of them though. Like Seb mentioned the "Jean-Pierre arrête, arrête-toi. Tu vas tomber filho da puta!" screaming speech it's almost iconographic of our summers, specially in the little villages.

We called them in a somewhat derogatory way, Avec (s). It was after the great wave of emigration in the 1960s, that gave rise to the expression 'avec'. From all over our country, but especially in the north, hundreds of thousands of Portuguese went looking for jobs and a better life in France. Most of them were poorly educated people, and when they returned home on their summer vacations, they spoke a mixture of Portuguese and French that invited the people in here to make fun/jokes of them. Hence the 'avecs' are the ones who return to the village with the good cars, new customs, many stories to tell, and eager to show off they made it.

They are ok, most just good hardworking people. We tend at times to be ill mannered/rude and bitchy against our own people. There's no bigger enemy to a tuga than other tuga himself.
    What's is more funnier is most of us have family there, I for example I have plenty of them in Paris and other cities.
    Me too, I have alot of relatives in France (my family is mostly from Lisbon/Santarem/Leiria triangle. My maternal grandparents emigrated to France in the early 1960's (62 or 63), as clandestines, they had to cross the borders on foot, between the bushes and forests, escaping from the authorities...in some aspects even worse than refugees from ME and Africa nowadays because there was no one to help them or rescue them.

All the rage my little dark age... Cernunnos's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ibero-Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Ancestry
    Portuguese. 53% EEF + 29% Steppe + 13% WHG + 5% Iberomaurusian
    Country
    Portugal
    Region
    Lisbon
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF27 (Most likely)
    mtDNA
    Faço puto de ideia
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Hero
    Não tenho 10 anos...
    Relationship Status
    It's complicated
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,341
    Given: 2,226

0 Not allowed!

Me too, I have alot of relatives in France (my family is mostly from Lisbon/Santarem/Leiria triangle. My maternal grandparents emigrated to France in the early 1960's (62 or 63), as clandestines, they had to cross the borders on foot, between the bushes and forests, escaping from the authorities...in some aspects even worse than refugees from ME and Africa nowadays because there was no one to help them or rescue them.
    I thought the overwhelming majority of Portuguese in France descended from people who lived in Tras os Montes and Guarda areas.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    I thought the overwhelming majority of Portuguese in France descended from people who lived in Tras os Montes and Guarda areas.
    The majority are but there's also many from the center (Leiria-Coimbra) and a minority from other regions.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 01:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,211
    Given: 43,758

0 Not allowed!

Paris has the biggest Portuguese community abroad, around 250K Portuguese in the Paris region, the 2nd largest foreign community after Algerians. The figures easily could double if Portuguese descent persons would be included.

Until a few years ago before Paris SG became a rich club, I remember that when Benfica played in Paris there was always more Benfica supporters than supporting the local team. The stadium was full of Portuguese immigrants.
    Excluding mixed-race people of colonial descent, would you estimate that there are more Portuguese descendants in France or Brazil?

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Excluding mixed-race people of colonial descent, would you estimate that there are more Portuguese descendants in France or Brazil?
    Brazil for sure.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-23-2019 @ 05:55 PM
    Ethnicity
    Canarian
    Country
    Canary Islands
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!

France is only 50% ''ethnic French'' if by French you mean the populations descending from ethnicities originary from modern borders of ''France''. Now it has around 20% non-European population as well.

The place is basically multicultural, there's no way to turn France ''French'' again.
    Last edited by Comocudostrouxas; 01-22-2019 at 05:03 PM.

Companhia dos Leões da Beira
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21
    mtDNA
    H15
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,168
    Given: 16,884

0 Not allowed!

There's currently 5 million Brazilians who can apply for Portuguese citizenship because they either have Portuguese grandparents or parents. And I would bet that at least 190 millions have Portuguese ancestry, even if remote.
    YDNA: R1b-L21 > DF13 > S1051 > FGC17906 > FGC17907 > FGC17866

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information