R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,915
    Given: 7,434

11 Not allowed!

Default The reason people from the Dinarics are so tall

They get their height from the people of the Gravettian Culture. The Gravettians were noted to be exceptionally tall for their time period, with those from the Central Mediterranean being taller than modern day Dutch people!

Some events associated with the spread of I-M170 was responsible for an increase in height among the Gravettians, but we don't know what these events really are, so its not known yet how Gravettians got so tall in the first place. Either way, the Gravettians then gave their height to the Dinaric people. The reason why there was such a large concentration of them in the Dinarics is because they're thought to have found a glacial refugium there.

In the absence of any special studies dealing with autosomal DNA, we can assess this problem only indirectly, via regional frequencies of Y haplogroup I-M170, which are most concentrated in Herzegovina. Here, we also find the highest values of height. Herzegovina is separated from Bosnia by a chain of hardly penetrable, forested mountains (electronic supplementary material, figure S6), and this geographical barrier must have limited genetic flow from continental Europe. The age of the local dominant subclade I2a1b-M423 is estimated at approximately 5000–7500 years, which corresponds with the adoption of agriculture in the Balkans and the subsequent population growth [10]. Considering that I-M170 is associated with tall statures not only in the Balkans but also in Central and Northern Europe, the roots of this phenomenon are deeper and probably date back to the Upper Paleolithic (the Gravettian culture). The link between I-M170 and the Gravettian culture is based primarily on the fact that the Balkans served as a glacial refugium for Gravettian populations from Central Europe [24]. Indeed, the oldest sample of I-M170 documented in Europe belongs to a Gravettian male from Paglicci in Italy (34 580–31 120 calibrated years ago) [25]. Even more importantly, the unusually tall stature of Upper Paleolithic males from the Gravettian culture has been documented by archaeological findings. Dočkalova & Vančata [26] estimated a mean height of 176.3 cm in Gravettian males from Moravia (n = 15) and 182.7 cm in Gravettian males from the Central Mediterranean (n = 11). These are values that men from highly developed European countries reached only after the advance of the industrial revolution during the twentieth century.
    https://royalsocietypublishing.org/d...98/rsos.161054
    Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 01-08-2019 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Edited as requested by Mingle.

Last Online
    02-12-2020 @ 09:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    Cypriot
    Country
    North-Korea
    Taxonomy
    Me: DinaroMed, Pompey: AtlantoMed
    Politics
    Dravidian Nationalist
    Hero
    Mr. G
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,828
    Given: 13,088

1 Not allowed!

Nice post, OP
    If you see a post in red font made by my username, that means that it is Pompey's post, not mine.

Last Online
    10-30-2023 @ 08:27 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Country
    Greece
    Y-DNA
    I2
    Taxonomy
    Pontid-CM
    Hero
    Leonidas
    Religion
    Orthodox
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,705
    Given: 4,442

3 Not allowed!

Good post , i dont believe only in Haplogroup.
    Have nothing to do with tall and also the Dinarics from EV13 are even taller than the Dinarics from I (Montenegro)

Hatchling
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessWin View Post
    Good post , i dont believe only in Haplogroup.
    Have nothing to do with tall and also the Dinarics from EV13 are even taller than the Dinarics from I (Montenegro)
    The haplogroup isn't responsible for their height. The haplogroup is just used to track Gravettian migrations. Gravettians are responsible for their height. The haplogroup is just an indicator of a greater level of Gravettian ancestry since Gravettians were mainly I-M70.
    Last edited by Mingle; 01-07-2019 at 12:47 AM.

Inactive
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Country
    North-Korea
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b-PH908
    mtDNA
    J2b1
    Taxonomy
    Alpinid
    Hero
    Jake Gyllenhaal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,113
    Given: 10,158

2 Not allowed!

"I2a-Din (a subclade of I-M170) is considered 5-7k years old and corresponds to the advent of agriculture with the Balkans"

Stopped reading here, I2a "Dinaric" has nothing to do with the advent of agriculture within the Balkans, it is a slavic haplogroup from Ukraine. I2a1a and I2a2a might of been around, but not I2a "Dinaric".

Hatchling
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayetooey View Post
    "I2a-Din (a subclade of I-M170) is considered 5-7k years old and corresponds to the advent of agriculture with the Balkans"

Stopped reading here, I2a "Dinaric" has nothing to do with the advent of agriculture within the Balkans, it is a slavic haplogroup from Ukraine. I2a1a and I2a2a might of been around, but not I2a "Dinaric".
    It says the local dominant clade was I2a1b-M423. Is I2a1b-M423 not I2a-Din? The local dominant clade in the Dinarics is I2a1b-M423 according to the article.

Inactive
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Country
    North-Korea
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b-PH908
    mtDNA
    J2b1
    Taxonomy
    Alpinid
    Hero
    Jake Gyllenhaal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,113
    Given: 10,158

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mingle View Post
    It says the local dominant clade was I2a1b-M423. Is I2a1b-M423 not I2a-Din? The local dominant clade in the Dinarics is I2a1b-M423 according to the article.
    I2a1b dinaric is slavic, its tmrc is around 2k years, this article talks about a clade that's 5000-7000 years, they must be talking about something else.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Ethnicity
    Eurasian
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-Z17855)
    mtDNA
    R30
    Politics
    Where the wind blows
    Religion
    Awaiting the return of Sikeliot our saviour!
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,186
    Given: 3,169

0 Not allowed!

Considering that I-M170 is associated with tall statures not only in the Balkans but also in Central and Northern Europe, the roots of this phenomenon are deeper and probably date back to the Upper Paleolithic (the Gravettian culture).
    Are Greeks with this haplogroup usually tall?

Hatchling
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by arkas View Post
    Are Greeks with this haplogroup usually tall?
    There isn't information given on it in the article (which I linked at the bottom), but I don't see why they wouldn't be.

Hatchling
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayetooey View Post
    I2a1b dinaric is slavic, its tmrc is around 2k years, this article talks about a clade that's 5000-7000 years, they must be talking about something else.
    I assume I-L621 is I2a-Din then. This is what I found about that HG:

I-L621 is typical of the South Slavic populations of south-eastern Europe, being highest in Bosnia-Herzegovina (>50%) in Bosniaks and Croats.[3] There is also a high concentration of I-L621 in north-east Romania and Moldova. Several groups have determined the common occurrence of this subclade in the South Slavic-speaking populations to be the result of "pre-Slavic" paleolithic settlement in the region. Peričić et al. for instance place its expansion to have occurred "not earlier than the YD to Holocene transition and not later than the early Neolithic".[2][16][17] The Slavic population can be divided into two genetically distinct groups: one encompassing all West Slavic (Poles, Czechs, Slovaks, etc.) and the non-Slavic Hungarians, East Slavic (Russians, Ukrainians, Belarusians, etc.) and a few South Slavic populations (north-western Croats and Slovenes), characterized by Haplogroup R1a, and one encompassing all remaining Southern Slavs (Serbs, Bosniaks, southern Croats, Montenegrins, Macedonians and Bulgarians) but also the non-Slavic Romanians, characterized by Haplogroup I2a1b2 (I-L621). According to Rebała et al., this phenomenon is explained by "contribution to the Y chromosomes of peoples who settled in the Balkan region before the Slavic expansion to the genetic heritage of Southern Slavs".[18] It is attributed to the Cucuteni-Trypillian culture in what is now Ukraine, Romania and Moldova. L69/S163 was removed from I in 2011 and IJK in 2012.[19]
    By the way, it being of Paleo-Balkan origin doesn't mean it couldn't have later been spread by some Slavs later on.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information