Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Gillette Attacks Men and Masculinity

El_Abominacion

3 Not allowed!

So there I was, putting on my rape shoes, and practicing my sexual harassment pickup lines this morning. I just got done cyberbullying my coworkers. It was time to shave, I yelled at my wife to smile because I demand it, while pinching her butt right after she told me she didn't consent to it. Putting on the shaving cream and thinking about how I can get my son into a fight at the next BBQ, I replaced the worn Gillette brand Mach3 and began to chant "boys will be boys" as I started to shave. Then suddenly my daughter burst into the bathroom holding her phone. As I began to mansplain to her why she isn't smart enough to know my shaving time is my time she showed me the new Gillette ad. I realized how my every view and behavior I've ever held dear was wrong. I'm calling in sick at the toxic masculinity factory today and registering Democrat. Thanks Gillette, now excuse me while I help to impeach.

Last Online
    03-02-2024 @ 11:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Homo neogrecous
    Ethnicity
    Yes
    Country
    Japan
    Region
    Acadia
    mtDNA
    H
    Politics
    oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,431
    Given: 241

0 Not allowed!

"All-Time Historic Blunder" - Marketing Prof Blasts Gillette 'Toxic Masculinity' Ad

A Villanova University marketing professor blasted Gillette for the razor company's "The Best Men Can Be" ad, which referenced "toxic masculinity."

In the ad, Gillette calls out “toxic masculinity" and attributes this concept to men as a whole with a YouTube description reading "bullying. Harassment. Is this the best a man can get?"

“The use of the term 'toxic masculinity' in the ad was a flat-out mistake,” Taylor noted in his op-ed.

“While only mentioned quickly and briefly, the use of this term, which many men associate with a one-sided critique and stereotype of an entire gender [sic].”

Taylor went on to add that corporations should never alienate a substantial portion of their consumer base, which Gillette’s campaign “unnecessarily” did. Taylor also warned that without modification or apology, Gillette’s campaign would go down in history as an “all-time marketing blunder.”

“The shame of all of this is that Gillette surely could have devised a campaign focusing on positive encouragement of good behaviors without making sweeping generalizations about men and what it is to be masculine," Taylor continued. At the time of publication of this article, the ad had over twelve million views on Gillette’s official YouTube page and nearly three times as many “thumbs down” as “thumbs up."

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...masculinity-ad

Last Online
    03-02-2024 @ 11:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Homo neogrecous
    Ethnicity
    Yes
    Country
    Japan
    Region
    Acadia
    mtDNA
    H
    Politics
    oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,431
    Given: 241

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MissMischief View Post
    Lol seriously, I don't see what's the big deal here.

I mean of course a men's razor advert is going to focus on men. The whole message is their slogan: "The best a man can get". They're basically saying that the best a man can get is when they don't harass people, and when they see a man harassing someone, they step in.

Of course in this instance women are portrayed as the victims because women ARE more likely to be the victims of sexual harassment. That's not propaganda, that's just statistics.

Personally, I feel that if a guy watches this video and feels like they're being attacked, they're focusing on the wrong message.

Telling all men to embody virtue, ethics, respect, leadership and civility instead of standing by and watching women and children get harassed and rapists get celebrated is offensive now? Really?
    Imagine if Gilette did one for women now, with the pink "Lady Gillete" razors - "Don't be an emotionally immature, golddigging whore"

Not to say all women are, but Gillette could send a message directly to the ones that self-identity that way that it's time for them to change. It will be well received I'm sure.

Last Online
    04-15-2019 @ 07:39 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Kavkaz
    Ethnicity
    Chechen
    Ancestry
    Chechen, Adyghean
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Testosterone bomb
    Hero
    Scott Steiner
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 2

2 Not allowed!

Time to boycot Gillette boys even though I'm beard crew
    A company aimed at male hygiene making ads against males, thats like Mcdonalds making ads against fat people

Last Online
    06-11-2023 @ 11:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    Other
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,762
    Given: 3,655

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by wvwvw View Post
    You should ask yourself, why we are hearing about #metoo in a ad for razor blades? What gives Gillette the moral authority to comment on these issues? What next? Should Tampax lecture women that they should stop bitching about each others’ looks?

Also, why are we hearing the words ”toxic masculinity” in an ad for razor blades? There is no such thing as toxic masculinity. There are toxic people, of all genders.

Many men feel that the words “toxic masculinity” themselves are toxic   implying that simply being a man is toxic. Yet here we have a company using that slur against its own customers!

Gillette seems to have conflated “Is this the best (product) a man can get?” with “Is this the best (behaviour) a man can get?”

The last thing you want in the morning is an activist shave. When shaving you’not thinking: Is this razor is going to improve my behaviour today? You’re not thinking: Hold on I might mansplain today. I’d better shave with Gillette. You re actually thinking: Is this razor dull or sharp? Am I going to cut my face? Will I be able to get those hairs under my nose?

There is not a single man on the Earth who has ever thought that his razor will make him a better person. No-one should be expected to pass a morality test to use a product. Imagine a purity test for other products. “This deodorant is only for men who reject the patriarchy.”

The director of the ad has created a scene that shows a female executive looks sad. Why is she a victim? If this lady is an executive -at the top of the table- she is not going to just sit there looking sheepish when her boss acts like an ass. She’s going to say quite clearly that she knows what she’s doing, just as any other executive around the table would. Or she shouldn’t be in there.

The main issue is that it is not the responsibility of men to hold other men accountable. In another scene two girls are standing next to a pool at an outdoor party. Off camera, a man says “Smile, sweetie.” The camera pulls out and we see two men taking a video of the girls. A black man says “Come on!” to stop the men filming. One of the girls appears to be wondering who the black guy is.

What is this scene trying to portray? The girls appear to be at a pool party, that is being filmed. Some White Knight (actually a black guy, so we’ll call him a Black Knight) comes over and gets in the way of the whole thing. Can’t the women speak for themselves? They need a man to do it?

My reaction to that would be Let these women speak for themselves. And if they said they didn’t want to be filmed I’d move on. Men don’t need to be accountable for other men. They be accountable for themselves all of the time, and perhaps sometimes for others.

And responsibility doesn’t just rest with men. Woman have to be accountable too. They have the right to decline mens’ advances (however well-meaning), and not be harassed for that decision. Not to have their agency removed by men taking those decisions for them. As it stands we don’t know if the girls actually wanted to be filmed. Perhaps Black Knight lost them their big break.

In another scene, a pretty women is walking down the street. A white man takes an interest in her.
    Narrator: “To act the right way.” The white man’s black friend grabs him before he goes after the girl, “Bro, not cool, not cool.”

So here we have a Dude who wants to try his luck with a women he sees in the street, but another Black Knight steps in to ‘protect’ the woman. That’s not a crime.

The guy seems quite handsome. Perhaps he might have a chance. What happens if the woman likes him and they fall in love and have a great relationship? Where does it end? Does Black Knight step up when Dude wants to chat with women at a bar? When he’s on a date? He’s always there to protect the ladies. What a creep.

So here we have two examples of women being ‘saved’ by men. Why are woman so helpless in this ad? And why are both the perps white, and the womens’ saviours black?

This is the most egregious part of the ad. Some means that most men aren’t (acting the right way). This is a cynical and vile slur against all the men who do care about their relationships with women. Insulting the majority of men to sell them overpriced razor blades.
    To be fair, “toxic masculinity” does exist. It is basically the version of masculinity pushed by society which pressures men to conform to their stereotypical gender role. For instance, a man in the advert is viewed suspiciously for being alone with his own son. That's toxic masculinity; the stereotype that men who are nurturing and caring are somehow not right, not behaving in the proper way.

It is about the negative aspects of masculinity perpetuated by both men and women that harms men; expecting men not to cry (apart from anger), expecting men to take sexual, verbal and domestic abuse by “taking it like a man”, femininity seen as a bad thing for men to express (or are seen as gay).

As a result, they don't always feel they can open up to other people - vulnerability or showing emotion is weakness in these 'alpha males' eyes. Women tend to share a lot more with each other and have better support systems - men often don't have these because they feel it's too awkward to have emotional chats with friends or family.

Our society thinks men shuold be tough. Less support is given to male victims of violence because they are supposed to be better able to defend themselves than female victims. This is exactly what needs to change in society - this opinion. And that is exactly what the Gillette ad is making a start on.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Inselaffe
    Country
    New Zealand
    Y-DNA
    R-U106
    mtDNA
    HV18
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,640
    Given: 10,350

1 Not allowed!

To be fair, “toxic masculinity” does exist. It is basically the version of masculinity pushed by society which pressures men to conform to their stereotypical gender role. For instance, a man in the advert is viewed suspiciously for being alone with his own son. That's toxic masculinity; the stereotype that men who are nurturing and caring are somehow not right, not behaving in the proper way.

It is about the negative aspects of masculinity perpetuated by both men and women that harms men; expecting men not to cry (apart from anger), expecting men to take sexual, verbal and domestic abuse by “taking it like a man”, femininity seen as a bad thing for men to express (or are seen as gay).

As a result, they don't always feel they can open up to other people - vulnerability or showing emotion is weakness in these 'alpha males' eyes. Women tend to share a lot more with each other and have better support systems - men often don't have these because they feel it's too awkward to have emotional chats with friends or family.

Our society thinks men shuold be tough. Less support is given to male victims of violence because they are supposed to be better able to defend themselves than female victims. This is exactly what needs to change in society - this opinion. And that is exactly what the Gilette ad is making a start on.
    So does toxic femininity and it is overwhelmingly obvious to many males yet we don't expect you to change. We either deal with it, like it (when it suits) or make it the butt of our jokes in the man cave
    Nine out of ten concerns are completely unfounded.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-07-2022 @ 06:32 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    German English
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    anti corruption
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,540
    Given: 9,189

2 Not allowed!

Our society thinks men shuold be tough. Less support is given to male victims of violence because they are supposed to be better able to defend themselves than female victims. This is exactly what needs to change in society - this opinion. And that is exactly what the Gillette ad is making a start on.
    A lot of what you say is accurate however most of it comes natural to boys/men. It is natural to be this way. It isn't bad or negative. Inherent differences exist between males and females.

Banned
    Last Online
    11-07-2022 @ 08:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Vlach, Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    United States
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,983
    Given: 2,435

2 Not allowed!

Our society thinks men shuold be tough. Less support is given to male victims of violence because they are supposed to be better able to defend themselves than female victims. This is exactly what needs to change in society - this opinion. And that is exactly what the Gilette ad is making a start on.
    This post just shows how clueless women are when it comes to manhood.
    I bet this Gillette ad was made by women thinking they're doing the right thing.

There are significant biological differences between men and women. Not all male behavior is taught, this is social constructionism bullshit.

Men are tougher than women, this is biologically determined. It's amazing that such basic facts are contested. It only shows how ridiculous these ideologues are.
    Last edited by ixulescu; 01-17-2019 at 09:32 PM.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,891
    Given: 18,299

0 Not allowed!

No Gillette. Me, Me, I'm a Barbasol Man.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-07-2022 @ 06:32 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    German English
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    anti corruption
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,540
    Given: 9,189

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ixulescu View Post
    This post just shows how clueless women are when it comes to manhood.
    I bet this Gillette ad was made by women thinking they're doing the right thing.

There are significant biological differences between men and women. Not all male behavior is taught, this is social constructionism bullshit.

Men are tougher than women, this is biologically determined. It's amazing that such basic facts are contested. It only shows how ridiculous these ideologues are.
    It was some radical female.

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread Information