View Poll Results: Can New World nations be considered "ethnic groups" in the European or Asian sense?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 19.44%
  • No

21 58.33%
  • Only certain cases

8 22.22%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Can New World nations be considered "ethnic groups" in the same way European and Asian nations are?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,236
    Given: 43,779

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Andullero View Post
    ^ This. So the correct answer for the purpose of the thread would be, some groups are closer to ethnostate status than others.
    Yeah but even Dominicans can range from 90-100% White to 90-100% Black, with sometimes traces of Amerindian too, can't they?

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hispanic Caribbean
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Ancestry
    63.08% Eurasian, 28.75% SSA, 8.18% Amerind
    Country
    Dominican-Republic
    Y-DNA
    R-U152
    mtDNA
    L0a2a1a
    Taxonomy
    Pardo
    Hero
    Pedro Santana, Joaquin Balaguer
    Religion
    Catholicism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,913
    Given: 4,641

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    Yeah but even Dominicans can range from 90-100% White to 90-100% Black, with sometimes traces of Amerindian too, can't they?
    Yep, the process is still underway. Cape Verdeans, albeit not a New World nation, are farther on the ethnostate path than us.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Yep, the process is still underway. Cape Verdeans, albeit not a New World nation, are farther on the ethnostate path than us.
    I'd be interested in your opinion here too please: https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...n-quot-Discuss

El_Jibaro

0 Not allowed!

Not really. If we look at the classic ethnic groups of the old world, within the same ethnicity people have both genetic and cultural closeness with each other and so...like you can say the average person of so and so country in LATAM for example has these certain percentages but there are plenty of people who are either more Euro admixed, SSA, Amerindian, etc who are also of that country.

The average, say Cuban or whatever is like 70% euro or something...is the 80%+ SSA person from Santiago less "ethnically Cuban" than a more Euro admixed person? No, of course not.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Jibaro View Post
    Not really. If we look at the classic ethnic groups of the old world, within the same ethnicity people have both genetic and cultural closeness with each other and so...like you can say the average person of so and so country in LATAM for example has these certain percentages but there are plenty of people who are either more Euro admixed, SSA, Amerindian, etc who are also of that country.

The average, say Cuban or whatever is like 70% euro or something...is the 80%+ SSA person from Santiago less "ethnically Cuban" than a more Euro admixed person? No, of course not.
    Which is precisely why I made this thread. New World nations cannot really be understood to be nations in quite the same sense as their European and Asian counterparts.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-15-2021 @ 04:40 AM
    Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Country
    Spain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 685
    Given: 443

0 Not allowed!

Even Paraguay has a mixture of Mestizos, Spaniards, Brasiguayos, Mennonites and Guaranis.
    In different proportions, though.

As a whole, both US-inhabitants and Mexicans couldn't be considered as ethnic groups, especially in the former, where you can find different ethnic groups from very different origins. The immense majority of the amerindian component is in the south west, where the misceneration of the native-americans --practically all native-americans in the USA are from the south west, the old spanish-mexican territories-- with the Iberians were also high, much less or practically null with the anglo element.

But given the fact that almost all ibero american countries inhabitants are mestizos --iberian with amerindian the most frequent, but also with another ethnic groups -- and that they're a majority in this area, and that the most common link amongst them would be the iberian element, since they were hundreds and hundreds different amerindian tribes, the ibero american population might be closer to constitue an ethnic group than the US-group.

That would be my hypothese.

Banned
    Last Online
    08-12-2021 @ 03:55 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Black/White
    Ethnicity
    Mulatto
    Country
    Vatican-City
    Politics
    Nationalism
    Hero
    Malcolm X
    Religion
    Nationalism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 56

1 Not allowed!

It depends. If the racial admixture of the country is well distributed among the vast majority of its citizens, and they have a unified culture, then they can be considered a new ethnic group. Some countries in New World are close to being like that, but none of them can be described as countries with a characterizing ethnicity as of now.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I don't know. At one extreme you have the Haitians and their descendants, and at another extreme many among your elite are of pure/quasi-pure European or Levantine descent.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hispanic Caribbean
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Ancestry
    63.08% Eurasian, 28.75% SSA, 8.18% Amerind
    Country
    Dominican-Republic
    Y-DNA
    R-U152
    mtDNA
    L0a2a1a
    Taxonomy
    Pardo
    Hero
    Pedro Santana, Joaquin Balaguer
    Religion
    Catholicism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,913
    Given: 4,641

0 Not allowed!

I don't know. At one extreme you have the Haitians and their descendants, and at another extreme many among your elite are of pure/quasi-pure European or Levantine descent.
    I will not consider them part of my nation as long as they cling to Creole and English as their main modes of thinking and worldview, respectively. One nation, one flag, one language and one culture under the sun, by the Grace of God.
    "My name is The Patriot, my fatherland is Santo Domingo, my condition is Citizen, my religion is the love of truth and justice, and my occupations are to boldly attack vice and loudly praise virtue".

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I will not consider them part of my nation as long as they cling to Creole and English as their main modes of thinking and worldview, respectively. One nation, one flag, one language and one culture under the sun, by the Grace of God.
    Do the European and Levantine-descended elites mainly communicate in English?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information