Thread: Slobodna Država Rijeka / Stato Libero di Fiume

Peyrol

0 Not allowed!

Default Slobodna Država Rijeka / Stato Libero di Fiume

What's your opinion about this state existed from 1920 to 1924?

Banned
    Last Online
    04-16-2012 @ 06:56 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Croatian
    Ethnicity
    Croatian
    Ancestry
    Croatian
    Country
    Croatia
    Taxonomy
    Croatian
    Politics
    Croatia
    Religion
    Croatian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Nothing useful came out of it except italian terror that was more than usual in these parts of Croatia and later surrender (annexation) of Rijeka. If Italy didn't have western powers behind (UK and France, with UK sticking to their anti-Croatian politics to these days) their backs, the story would be different. Happened once, won't happen ever again.

I think my opinion is clearly negative.

Peyrol

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Heretik View Post
    Nothing useful came out of it except italian terror that was more than usual in these parts of Croatia and later surrender (annexation) of Rijeka. Happened once, won't happen ever again.
    ...but the independent state was a trilingual states (Croat, italian, magyar).
    You think that also during the independence of Fiume/Rijeka, we italians were the "majority"?

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Croatian
    Ethnicity
    Croatian
    Ancestry
    Croatian
    Country
    Croatia
    Taxonomy
    Croatian
    Politics
    Croatia
    Religion
    Croatian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tribuno View Post
    ...but the independent state was a trilingual states (Croat, italian, magyar).
    You think that also during the independence of Fiume/Rijeka, we italians were the "majority"?
    I have edited my post, sorry.
    Italians were never the majority in any region of Croatia and I actually do not "blame" the Italians for the Treaty of Rappalo but the western powers who simply cannot keep their noses out of other nations business. From the 19th century all the way to today. Italians just used the opportunity to snatch the territories they wanted for a long time.

Peyrol

0 Not allowed!

I have edited my post, sorry.
    Italians were never the majority in any region of Croatia and I actually do not "blame" the Italians for the Treaty of Rappalo but the western powers who simply cannot keep their noses out of other nations business. From the 19th century all the way to today. Italians just used the opportunity to snatch the territories they wanted for a long time.
    I think that if Rijeka had remained independent and not annexed to Italy, the ethnic diversity of the city would work better than the forced Italianization made ​​by Mussolini.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Croatian
    Ethnicity
    Croatian
    Ancestry
    Croatian
    Country
    Croatia
    Taxonomy
    Croatian
    Politics
    Croatia
    Religion
    Croatian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I think that if Rijeka had remained independent and not annexed to Italy, the ethnic diversity of the city would work better than the forced Italianization made ​​by Mussolini.
    Agreed. It is hilarious for me to see surnames like Micicich, Blecich, Lakovich and similar still in use here.
    Rijeka is still ethnically diverse, one of the most diverse cities in Croatia (counting Zagreb out because of it's much larger number of inhabitants of course) and, fyi, Italian is still spoken here (I can hear some elderly talking in Italian in the bus). It sounds similar to Italian spoken in Trieste ().

Peyrol

0 Not allowed!

Agreed. It is hilarious for me to see surnames like Micicich, Blecich, Lakovich and similar still in use here.
    Rijeka is still ethnically diverse, one of the most diverse cities in Croatia (counting Zagreb out because of it's much larger number of inhabitants of course) and, fyi, Italian is still spoken here (I can hear some elderly talking in Italian in the bus). It sounds similar to Italian spoken in Trieste ().
    When i went to Opatija and Rijeka, i could speak in italian to everyone...and, i was surprised how the people could easly switch from croat to italian

Also in Trieste, some people that claim to be "100% italian" have surnames like Mazdarovic, Kocijan, Zagrebelsky...al the Istria is a palce when latins, slavs and some other like magyar, deutsch and istrotumenian have lived toghether for centuries.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Croatian
    Ethnicity
    Croatian
    Ancestry
    Croatian
    Country
    Croatia
    Taxonomy
    Croatian
    Politics
    Croatia
    Religion
    Croatian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

When i went to Opatija and Rijeka, i could speak in italian to everyone...and, i was surprised how the people could easly switch from croat to italian
    Yes, many can speak Italian properly here, I am not the one of them though.

Also in Trieste, some people that claim to be "100% italian" have surnames like Mazdarovic, Kocijan, Zagrebelsky...al the Istria is a palce when latins, slavs and some other like magyar, deutsch and istrotumenian have lived toghether for centuries.
    Latins/Italians and Slavs yes, other, not so much. Istroromanian is a dying dialect unfortunately and those people (Žejani for instance) came to Istria no sooner than the 16th century. Hungarians and Germans also came much later than the Slavs and Latins.
    Talking about Istroromanian, I have had an opportunity to hear it once on the TV... My mind was fucked!

Peyrol

0 Not allowed!

Yes, many can speak Italian properly here, I am not the one of them though.

Latins/Italians and Slavs yes, other, not so much. Istroromanian is a dying dialect unfortunately and those people (Žejani for instance) came to Istria no sooner than the 16th century. Hungarians and Germans also came much later than the Slavs and Latins.
    Talking about Istroromanian, I have had an opportunity to hear it once on the TV... My mind was fucked!
    You live in Istria?
    I believe that you're from Zagreb.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Croatian
    Ethnicity
    Croatian
    Ancestry
    Croatian
    Country