Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think that debit/credit cards and travel cards will eventually be replaced with Apple Pay?

Слава Путину! Я люблю Россию. Z
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 06:18 PM
    From Dorset, but live in the City of Westminster (Central London)
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    English, 1/8 Welsh, 1/16 Western Irish.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,549
    Given: 27,895

2 Not allowed!

Default Do you think that debit/credit cards and travel cards will eventually be replaced with Apple Pay?

I think Apple Pay is a lot more secure than the old 'chip and pin' system of using debit/credit cards to pay for items - due to the unique fingerprint touch I.D. on your iPhone that is quickly used with Apple Pay in shops, restaurants, ticket gates, taxis, online purchases, etc, plus contactless payments also keeps your name and card number secretive too.

It's also very useful to be able to travel on the London Underground by using your iPhone through the tube station gate barriers... so maybe Oyster cards will also become phased out in the future too.

What do you think?
    ❀♫ ღ ♬ ♪ And the angle of the sun changed it all. ❀¸.•*¨♥✿ 🎶

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

I think the physical use of loyalty/reward cards and shopping cards will also become phased out as you can now store them all into your iPhone, along with retail coupons, boarding passes, and cinema tickets.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I was travelling on the tube after work on Thursday, so I could collect and purchase some reading glasses that I've been prescribed with from Boots Opticians in Kensington High Street. I was travelling during the dreaded and hectic and very busy 'rush hour' in Central London when millions of people were travelling home from work in different directions. The tube stations and underground trains were packed with people.

I've frequently seen passengers holding-up the crowds of people at the gate barriers by searching around in their bags and pockets for their Oyster Cards.

Getting through the gate barriers is quick and easy using using Apple Pay via your iPhone or Apple Watch.

The 7 day fare cap: Oyster Card vs Travelcard vs Contactless: https://www.londontoolkit.com/briefi...ard_oyster.htm

Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 02-02-2019 at 09:04 AM.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Many large UK stores are scrapping the Ł30 spending limit on purchases with Apple Pay... so that larger amounts can be spent using this method. Apple Pay is a lot more secure when making contactless payments, rather than using a debit or credit card for contactless payments. If your card is lost or stolen and it's a card which is contactless enabled... then a thief could use it to make purchases of up to Ł30 without needing to use a P.I.N. before the card has been reported as lost or stolen. A thief couldn't make purchases via the unique fingerprint I.D. used with Apple Pay.

Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 02-02-2019 at 09:08 AM.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Inselaffe
    Country
    New Zealand
    Y-DNA
    R-U106
    mtDNA
    HV18
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,613
    Given: 10,299

0 Not allowed!

Recently when going out for everyday chores and such, I have purposely left my phone behind. Just you and your credit card. No notifications and no extra device to carry. Freedom.
    Nine out of ten concerns are completely unfounded.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,860
    Given: 18,268

1 Not allowed!

Just carry that cash money. Never do credit. Dollar, dollar, bills ya'll.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daco Celtic View Post
    Just carry that cash money. Never do credit. Dollar, dollar, bills ya'll.
    hmm... cash has it's uses in society, but it also has problems too.

E.g;-

i. Notes and coins add extra weight to carry.

ii. Money has the risk of being stolen or lost.

iii. Banknotes and coins carries germs due to all the people who handle it.

iv. Banknotes can become ripped or damaged, although the plastic polymer bank notes that were launched over the last five years in the UK, Canada, and Australia have a lot of extra security features compared to traditional banknotes... and are tearproof, waterproof, etc.

v. Paying by cash takes time at the automated self checkout scanners and self payment tills in supermarkets, etc... as you have to wait for the machine to give you your change. Contactless payments are a lot quicker and a more convenient method for people to pay in stores, restaurants, cinemas, etc.

Also most people shop online.

Cash is useful however for travellers who want to avoid incurring additional exchange rate charges on their debit/credit cards each time they make a purchase in a foreign nation.

Cash payments also prevents peoples personal transactions from appearing on their bank statements.

We're increasingly moving towards a cashless society.

Debit card payments are more popular than cash: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44496513

Millions 'will suffer without cash'

By Kevin Peachey
    Personal finance reporter

19/12/18

The UK risks "sleepwalking" into becoming a cashless society with millions of people disadvantaged as a result, a study has concluded.

Banknotes and coins are a necessity for eight million people, according to the Access to Cash study.

The report, authored by ex-financial ombudsman Natalie Ceeney, said a cash-free society would create problems for those in debt or living in rural areas.

Last year, debit cards overtook cash as the UK's most popular payment method.

Cash use has halved in the past 10 years, with notes and coins now handed over in three in every 10 transactions. Cash use is forecast to halve again in the next decade.

"As cash use continues to fall, we need to safeguard the use of cash for those who need it, and at the same time work hard to ensure that everyone can participate in this digital economy," Ms Ceeney said.

Her report was paid for by cash machine network operator Link, but was independent from it.

No cash for a pint

After yet another break-in at south London pub the Crown and Anchor, Arber Rozhaja decided enough was enough.

Burglars were after cash lying around after lock-up, but what if there was never any cash on site at all?

Mr Rozhaja, operations director at the pub's parent firm, London Village Inns, calculated the volume of cash transactions and was bowled over.

"Somewhere in the region of 10-13% of the total revenue would be cash and the rest was card," he says.

So in October, the Crown and Anchor went fully cashless.

The bar where your cash is worthless: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46507529

In some sectors, cash is still used frequently. Some 74% of people use cash to give to charity and window cleaners are paid with notes and coins in 85% of cases.

More generally, there are various risks highlighted in the report from a cashless society. They include:

• Struggles in rural communities where alternative ways of paying would be affected by poor broadband or mobile connectivity

• Difficulties for some people with physical or mental health problems who find it hard to use digital services

• Rising debt levels, owing to budgeting being easier with cash

• Lost independence for those who use cash as a lifeline when in difficult or abusive relationships

• Higher prices for those who are unable to benefit from online services or direct debits

Ron Delnevo, executive director for the European ATM Industry Association, said: "The UK public remain heavily committed to cash use and this must be respected by all payment market participants, however disappointing that might be for their narrow commercial interests."

UK Finance, which represents banks, said that a mix of different ways to pay was vital for consumers.

"Our own research shows that while cash usage is declining, it will still be the second most common payment method in 10 years' time," said Eric Leenders, from UK Finance.

"Maintaining access to cash is vital to ensure no customer is left behind. From over-the-counter withdrawals through 11,500 Post Offices and cashback from retailers, to investment in ATMs and mobile bank branches to reach more rural communities, the finance industry is using a range of solutions."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46596154
    I think the best solution is to carry a small amount of cash, along with your phone or watch with the digital wallet app. The contactless feature that's enabled on most debit and credit cards isn't secure against thieves as no P.I.N. or security method is required to use this feature... compared to the secure face recognition or touch I.D. options used with the contactless method of Apple Pay.
    Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 02-02-2019 at 01:35 PM.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by frankhammer View Post
    Recently when going out for everyday chores and such, I have purposely left my phone behind. Just you and your credit card. No notifications and no extra device to carry. Freedom.
    Sounds nice, and I understand where you're coming from there. Smartphones have their useful pros and their annoying cons.... I think many people are dependent on them. It's very annoying when people nearly walk into you outside as they're glaring at their smartphones all the time.

Another option if you want your phone conveniently close to hand... to make secure payments... and to save having to carry all your loyalty store cards, cinema tickets, boarding passes, travelcards, etc... and to have up-to-date weather, maps, news and travel alerts, and to be able to make emergency calls, etc... inbetween listening to music and documentaries on your phone, etc...but don't want to receive constant pings and alerts and calls... is to just switch it onto vibrate or silent mode during times that you don't want to be disturbed.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Ukrainian, Italian, Polish
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New Jersey
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,171
    Given: 1,327

0 Not allowed!

I hope not. Doesn't sound very good at all if it requires fingerprints. I'm not even a very big fan of credit cards, and I don't use debit cards. I prefer actual, physical cash for most purchases.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I think car locks and door locks will be replaced in the future with touch I.D. smartphone technology locks.

Retail stores are already allowing smartphone scanning apps to scan all the items in your basket, instead of having to scan them at the self-service checkout tills in many supermarket stores.

http://retail-innovation.com/mobile-...-self-scanning

Hundreds of stores are closing down each year as most people do their shopping online. Libraries are also closing too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information