French
    Country
    France
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 211
    Given: 74

2 Not allowed!

Default On the ancestry of modern Normans

The opinion that modern Normans largely or significantly descend from the Vikings who settled in Northern Neustria and gave their name to the province they acquired and to its inhabitants is widespread. The fact that at most 3,000 Vikings could peacefully alter beyond measure the gene pool of a province of about 1 million inhabitants seems however quite unlikely. DNA testing on Norman inhabitants of Contentin - the place in Normandy where the Vikings are thought to have settled the most - have given a result of only 11 people bearing the I1 haplogroup out of the 89 individuals tested. (1) This isn't a good sign for Normandy as a whole.

A more efficient method is to assess directly the phenotypes of modern Normans before the recent immigration waves. This can be done by looking at old high school pictures of the 1970's and 1980's, before the recent immigration waves. Small cities should be favored over big cities, because the millions of immigrants from Italy, Spain and Portugal who settled in Northern France in the 1880-1960 era mostly did so in the larger cities.

I've selected three cities according to their geographical position: Coutances (Western Normandy, Cotentin), Lisieux (Central Normandy) and Gisors (Eastern Normandy).
    Here are the pictures: (2)

Coutances (Lycée C.F. Lebrun):
    Attachment 84676
    Attachment 84677
    Attachment 84678

Lisieux (Lycée Marcel Gambier):
    Attachment 84679
    Attachment 84680
    Attachment 84681

Gisors (Lycée Louise Michel):
    Attachment 84682
    Attachment 84683
    Attachment 84684

I just see Gallo-Romans (of the Northern variety: more Gaulish than Roman), not Vikings. Only in the pictures of Coutances is there a slightly higher proportion of light-haired people.

Now let's compare it with French students from a city on the same latitude as Normandy, but in a region in which no significant Viking or Frankish settlement occurred: take Épernay, small city in the purely Gallo-Roman province of Champagne, Northeastern France.

Épernay (Lycée Godart Roger):
    Attachment 84685
    Attachment 84686
    Attachment 84688

Striking isn't?

Feel free to post your thoughts and comments.

1. https://thornews.com/2018/01/17/do-t...ing-ancestors/
    2. I picked the first pictures with good lightning on the website : https://copainsdavant-faq.linternaut...e-ou-de-groupe
    This website hosts free-to-access pre-2000's class pictures of most middle and high schools of France. A wonderful tool for demographic analysis.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    H. s. sapiens
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,534
    Given: 2,302

0 Not allowed!

Interesting.

There are obvious foreigners even in pictures as old as those from small towns in the 1970s and 1980s (I even spotted a few East Asians).

Yes, I wasn't expecting to see Norsemen, however the frequency of light types seems higher in the pictures from Normandy than in those from Épernay.
    Last edited by Rouxinol; 02-04-2019 at 02:58 PM.

Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 12:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    French
    Country
    France
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 211
    Given: 74

0 Not allowed!

Yes there are obvious foreigners who stand out from the groups, including Southern European immigrants.
    Had I added a few pictures from Scandinavian classes then perhaps the similitude between Lisieux, Gisors and Épernay would have stricken you more.

I think this method applied with a "hair lightness scale" to the whole of France could lead to very interesting results. Firstly it should replace those contradictory maps based on very loose historical knowledge and not on statistics such as these: Attachment 84696
    Attachment 84697
    Attachment 84698

I've already started a while ago with three cities (% of light-haired people, number of students examined):

Attachment 84695

Thread Information