Alpinid
    Hero
    Jake Gyllenhaal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,113
    Given: 10,158

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    Not sure what to make of that and there has been a lot of discussion on the subject here and elsewhere. The Irish DNA Atlas found a high amount of Norse in the Irish also and these were some of the same people that were involved in the People of the British Isles study. Anglo-Saxons would be similar to the Danes and that could have made it difficult to separate Danish Viking influence. The only way to really see what contributions Vikings made to populations is to possibly look at Viking genomes and IBS sharing but some of these populations all descend from similar groups anyway. There is a study that is being done from Copenhagen University that is using Viking genomes to see if they are similar to present day Danes and also look at where they might have left their genes in populations that have had known Viking settlements.

https://geogenetics.ku.dk/research_g...ev/viking-dna/
    If its proven its proven and I hope there's attempts to try and make a more concrete judgements through further studies and tests, but higher rates of blonde hair which is the argument I've heard from some others can be explained with higher saxon admixture, with them settling in the east and moving west overtime. Pretty sure most vikings didn't even settle in Britain in a full time sense as they were pirates, and the danelaw vikings afaik were obliterated by the Normans, and before that took place they were said to of lived seperate lives to anglo-saxons and seldom intermingled.

In respect to the thread topic, with "fetishisation" of the vikings; I personally wouldn't find any small amounts of dna left over to be something to gloat over for British person.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,564
    Given: 29,023

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daco Celtic View Post
    I have very ambivalent feelings about the Vikings. I actually find the pre-Viking Vendel era more interesting. On one hand, I think Vikings contributed greatly to the history of Northern Europe, including Northeast Europe and Russia, and founded many Northern Europen cities. On the other hand, I think their influence over Europe as a whole can be overstated. They were not very successful in their adventures into Southern Europe. I think their dominance over Northern Europe had a lot to do with it being a sparsely populated place at the time. Its easy to push around an a defenseless English monastery or an Irish fishing village of 40 people, but its quite another going into more heavily populated Southern Europe and have influence. I think the pre-Viking history of Scandinavia should actually get more attention than it does.
    Yes I agree. The Vikings gained a foothold in Ireland and Britain because both places had many separate kingdoms and weren't a united force. They gained Normandy because of similar reasons in that French kings were warring amongst themselves. They didn't have any success when they raided Spain and never got a foothold there.

Vikings anyway were mostly trying to gain wealth and fame and fortune by their raiding and all their settlements started initially from over-wintering in places and if they could they started staying permanently. They then became part of the political fabric of the places they stayed and became part of that society. This only happened in Ireland, Britain, France and parts of Russia. They don't appear to have made much of an impact anywhere else. The Normans were more successful but then they had different ambitions.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,901
    Given: 18,310

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayetooey View Post
    If its proven its proven and I hope there's attempts to try and make a more concrete judgements through further studies and tests, but higher rates of blonde hair which is the argument I've heard from some others can be explained with higher saxon admixture, with them settling in the east and moving west overtime. Pretty sure most vikings didn't even settle in Britain in a full time sense as they were pirates, and the danelaw vikings afaik were obliterated by the Normans, and before that took place they were said to of lived seperate lives to anglo-saxons and seldom intermingled.

In respect to the thread topic, with "fetishisation" of the vikings; I personally wouldn't find any small amounts of dna left over to be something to gloat over for British person.
    Yes. I would gloat over Anglo-Saxon history more than Vikings. Anglo-Saxon history is pretty interesting including their conversion to Christianity.

Inactive
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Country
    North-Korea
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b-PH908
    mtDNA
    J2b1
    Taxonomy
    Alpinid
    Hero
    Jake Gyllenhaal
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daco Celtic View Post
    Yes. I would gloat over Anglo-Saxon history more than Vikings. Anglo-Saxon history is pretty interesting including their conversion to Christianity.
    Well Anglo-Saxons are the cultural and predominant ethnic predecessors of the modern English, so yes I completely agree. Saxons were badass.

Banned
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 04:40 AM
    Ethnicity
    True Metal
    Country
    Greece
    Region
    Macedonia region, Greece
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z2103
    mtDNA
    W6
    Politics
    Classical Liberal
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 786
    Given: 795

0 Not allowed!

Varangians were true servants of the Emperor and fought for the Roman Empire till the bitter end, with no surrender and no quarter given against the cockroach horde known as the ottomans, so s up from me, historically speaking of course.
    Last edited by dosas; 02-23-2019 at 04:55 PM.

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,030
    Given: 6,627

2 Not allowed!

Pretty sure most vikings didn't even settle in Britain in a full time sense as they were pirates, and the danelaw vikings afaik were obliterated by the Normans, and before that took place they were said to of lived seperate lives to anglo-saxons and seldom intermingled.
    The Danes who had settled in England from the Viking Danelaw were massacred by Anglo-Saxons/English, not Normans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Br...s_Day_massacre
    Spoiler!

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

It's interesting in England re the Vikings and I have been swayed back and forth with some people's arguments on here re their genetic contributions. I think the Anglo-Saxon contribution to Britain was much greater and this is not saying much because it is obvious historically. I don't think Anglo-Saxons would have not mixed with any Vikings though as at that time people had no hesitation in forming alliances based on marriage. Whether people are proud of certain people's contributions to the gene pool is a personal preference. I just think you have to go with what the evidence shows.

I do agree that people using blond hair as some sort of gauge is not likely to be a valid indicator. I wish I'd listen to my inner-voice and stay clear of those discussions on here. They are just like walking into a quicksand pit.

Malarxist-Bidenist
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2022 @ 06:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European-American
    Ancestry
    Great Britain (early 17th c.), Ireland (19th c.), Elsaß Germany (19th c.)
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Illinois
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Atlantic
    Politics
    Wählt Sozialdemokratisch! 🌹
    Hero
    Aldous Huxley
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta (शाक्तं)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,782
    Given: 5,353

0 Not allowed!

I have I1 Y DNA from the Vikings with some Anglo-Saxon subclades. My father's side is Irish Catholic.

Only butthurted clowns minuses my posts. -- Лиссиы

Inactive
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Country
    North-Korea
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b-PH908
    mtDNA
    J2b1
    Taxonomy
    Alpinid
    Hero
    Jake Gyllenhaal
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by J. Ketch View Post
    The Danes who had settled in England from the Viking Danelaw were massacred by Anglo-Saxons/English, not Normans.

I got my Nords mixed up, it was Harald Hardrada's people who were finished off by the Normans.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by J. Ketch View Post

What's your opinion on the Viking's contributions to English genetics specifically? I think you have a good grasp of the genetic side of things.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread Information