PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 113
Why Albanians believe in ‘besa’?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Albanians believe in ‘besa’?

Banned
    Last Online
    10-22-2020 @ 12:02 AM
    Ethnicity
    Turk
    Country
    Flanders
    Y-DNA
    R1b-M269*
    mtDNA
    K1a19
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,356
    Given: 1,612

2 Not allowed!

Default Why Albanians believe in ‘besa’?

The concept of “besa” (also known as the ‘cult of besa’) is one of the most important manners of conduct for Albanians, as it is related to the cult of honor. In other words, ‘besa’ means that when someone asks you to protect him/her, you are obliged to protect his/her life with your own life. ‘Besa” is a word of honor, a saint promise that you cannot break, otherwise you will be rejected by society.

According to many scholars, ‘besa’ has derived from the biblical quote “In the beginning there was the Word”. Albanologist studies say that ‘besa’ derives from Kanun, known as the first legal system of Albanian people, a set of 12 books which contain a series of traditional laws. Kanun was the highest authority for people of Albania. All family and social relations were regulated based on the Kanun laws and rules.

A unique feature of this concept is that the word ‘besa’ does not exist in other languages, except in the Albanian language. Even the Balkan languages, (Bulgarian and Rumanian), refer it as “a word that comes from the Albanian dictionary”, or in other words, they specify it as ‘Albanism’. The so-called south slavs call it “aranaska vjera” (what Albanians believe at).

Besa is considered by Albanians as their moral testimony and a fundamental virtue inherited by ancient ancestors.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-22-2020 @ 12:02 AM
    Ethnicity
    Turk
    Country
    Flanders
    Y-DNA
    R1b-M269*
    mtDNA
    K1a19
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,356
    Given: 1,612

1 Not allowed!

I really like this besa concept. If i ever go to a war i'd love to have albanians on my side.

Last Online
    02-12-2020 @ 09:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    Cypriot
    Country
    North-Korea
    Taxonomy
    Me: DinaroMed, Pompey: AtlantoMed
    Politics
    Dravidian Nationalist
    Hero
    Mr. G
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,828
    Given: 13,088

0 Not allowed!

IMO: it is an instance of the ancient human tradition of Guest Rights (it pervades our species' Tradition).
    If you see a post in red font made by my username, that means that it is Pompey's post, not mine.

Last Online
    02-12-2020 @ 09:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    Cypriot
    Country
    North-Korea
    Taxonomy
    Me: DinaroMed, Pompey: AtlantoMed
    Politics
    Dravidian Nationalist
    Hero
    Mr. G
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,828
    Given: 13,088

0 Not allowed!

Ultimately, though, I would argue that Besa and the meta Set it belongs to, is an instance of Primate Tradition.
    If you see a post in red font made by my username, that means that it is Pompey's post, not mine.

Last Online
    04-09-2019 @ 06:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Albo
    Country
    Kosovo
    Y-DNA
    J2b2-L283-PH1751
    mtDNA
    H2a2a1
    Taxonomy
    Dinaric
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 488
    Given: 315

1 Not allowed!

It is basically honor, a word of bond. Besa Bese.

Last Online
    06-01-2020 @ 01:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Albania
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 205

1 Not allowed!

I have obsessed over this question, and fundamentally what means to be SHQIPTAR and ARBEROR comes from this exact thing. Culture stems from metaphysics, from my readings. Not any sort of nominalist understanding that its a social construct or a sum of parts, it is a real and tangible thing. Rather an organism that rises like a flower and wilts away. Lev Gumilov, a Russian author wrote continuing the points of Spengler. He stated in his works that ethnicity rises from a common struggle. I have had to dive deeply into it and I still am, peeling ideology and propaganda I want to find the truth about us.

The myth of Konstantin and Doruntia is based off of a man who literally comes back to life from the dead to honor Besa. Aga Ymeri (or Konstantin i Vogel) braved through the mediterrean to honor the Spanish King. This is how important Besa was to us.

My belief is that a very long time ago there was a tiny founding tribe of what would become the men of Arberia somewhere in the inner Balkans. These people were surrounded by adversity, tribes attacking each other. Thus, in the struggle they faced they stuck together beyond all costs. The kanun was a later creation around the 1400s most famously by a Catholic prince Leka Dukagjini, perhaps brought from the Tsar Dushan over there. Besa is indeed unique, it preceeded all this. In my opinion the secrets of all Albania is found in Besa.

With our loss of God, so did Besa go. Albanians wine about drugs, corruption, even how we in the diaspora backstab each other. We complain so much but guess whats the issue? Its right in front of you stupid! You've forgotten the idea that's kept our society together since time immemorial! Besa! When you take away the glue, the whole thing falls apart.

Last Online
    12-10-2023 @ 05:35 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Country
    Greece
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 947
    Given: 1,023

0 Not allowed!

Interesting. Didn't know the word has such an importance and history behind it.
    Besa is also used in Greece as a word equal to honor.

Last Online
    06-05-2020 @ 05:33 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Paleohaimos
    Ethnicity
    Shqiptar
    Country
    Albania
    Y-DNA
    R1b-CTS9219>BY611
    Politics
    Drenicak
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,544
    Given: 3,463

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    . The kanun was a later creation around the 1400s most famously by a Catholic prince Leka Dukagjini, perhaps brought from the Tsar Dushan over there. Besa is indeed unique, it preceeded all this. In my opinion the secrets of all Albania is found in Besa.
    Tsar Dushan brought our Kanun, wtf are you talking about?

Last Online
    06-01-2020 @ 01:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Albania
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 205

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Skerdilaid View Post
    Tsar Dushan brought our Kanun, wtf are you talking about?
    Did I trigger you? I said maybe, I misspoke. ok?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    11-29-2023 @ 09:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Country
    Greece
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,082
    Given: 2,784

0 Not allowed!

I don't think it's unique just because there is a unique word about it or because it was written in book.

As a concept and mentality(and as part of a more general mentality/approach to life-things) that's how I imagine some "backward-isolated"(not bad meaning) tribes(past&modern) ,they also have the blood feuds tradition which was/is? also common in Mani/Crete(especially Sfakia) or in thr honor killings of some muslims and I'd guess Turkey/Caucasus ,I think Scottish clans had a similar thing too.

Or Rebetiko culture in the old days of Greece&Kabadayi ones in Turkey.
    Italian mafia "rules" like omerta and such things ,even blacks and all other "national-racial" gangs nowadays.
    (If you think about it ,it's almost straight from Scottland to Caucasus or deeper)
    There was also "Hammurabi code" which I haven't read but it might represent the whole mentality.

It's a mentality I relate to backwardness/poverty/tribal or street(criminal)life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information