Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Do New World Whites tend to be fairer-complexioned than their Old World counterparts? If so, why?

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Polish and distant Ashkenazi Jewish.
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Shqiptar in disguise
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1 Hyperborean
    Taxonomy
    Moderately not ugly something
    Politics
    Social Liberalism - apparently.
    Hero
    Goofy
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,604
    Given: 48,329

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    I still reckon, regardless of how much butthurt and controversy it might cause, that at least some Latin Americans who are considered to be 'mixed-race' of some description are really just exotic Iberian and to some extent Italian types. After all, if people like Nacho Aldeguer, Itziar Miranda, Pedro Almodovar and Almudena Grande were born on the other side of the Atlantic, rest assured they'd be classified here as Harnizos.
    Lol. indeed.

But isn't it entirely out of question that one of his ancestors was a Latin American? Or that he is from these parts of Spain with Spanish Japanese people. They are there since the 17th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_people_in_Spain

Last Online
    02-20-2022 @ 01:26 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ibero-Romance
    Ethnicity
    Spanish  
    Country
    Spain
    Politics
    Misoneism
    Religion
    Catholicism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 57

0 Not allowed!

What percentage of the whole Spanish-speaking Americas is of fully or almost fully Spanish descent (i.e., something like >14/16 Spanish)? Probably a very low figure: 2-3% of the total population. Ditto for Brazil and Brazilians of fully or almost fully Portuguese extraction.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    ✨👽✨
    Ancestry
    Preußisches Sachsen, Hessen, Bayern, Gloucestershire, Somerset, Yorkshire, Kent, Catalonia, Menorca
    Country
    Malta
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,844
    Given: 786

0 Not allowed!

I think I'd kill myself if I never got any sun. Makes me feel good and I look incredible with a tan.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhiannon View Post
    I can't stand the sun. I'm very light sensitive and hate the way I feel when the sun is shining in general but especially if it's shining on me. I grew up in one of the sunniest parts of the US so perhaps I've just had my lifetime saturation limit exceeded

I'd much rather live in the parts of the map shown to have the LEAST sunlight.

Alaska is better than most of the rest of the US thankfully.

Last Online
    03-21-2023 @ 02:22 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Latin
    Ethnicity
    Brazilian
    Ancestry
    Latin.
    Country
    Brazil
    Region
    Minas Gerais
    Taxonomy
    Alpinized Gracile-Med
    Politics
    I don't give a fuck about it.
    Hero
    Nobody
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,836
    Given: 5,025

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Iltirbas View Post
    What percentage of the whole Spanish-speaking Americas is of fully or almost fully Spanish descent (i.e., something like >14/16 Spanish)? Probably a very low figure: 2-3% of the total population. Ditto for Brazil and Brazilians of fully or almost fully Portuguese extraction.
    They are the minority of a minority. Fully Iberian Hispanic/Brazilians are descendants of recent Iberian immigrants... colonial white Brazilians/Hispanics are numerous, but 99% of them are impure (but I don't follow the One Drop Rule, they are white, to me).
    But, like the OP's post, I have/had the impression that exotic types are less common among Iberian/colonial whites-Brazilian/Hispanics than Iberians in Iberia, what I said is not a proven fact, it's just my opinion, I have to clarify that because I don't want to be accused of having an agenda and all that shit.

Enviado de meu SM-G610M usando o Tapatalk

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,234
    Given: 43,773

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Latinus View Post
    They are the minority of a minority. Fully Iberian Hispanic/Brazilians are descendants of recent Iberian immigrants... colonial white Brazilians/Hispanics are numerous, but 99% of them are impure (but I don't follow the One Drop Rule, they are white, to me).
    But, like the OP's post, I have/had the impression that exotic types are less common among Iberian/colonial whites-Brazilian/Hispanics than Iberians in Iberia, what I said is not a proven fact, it's just my opinion, I have to clarify that because I don't want to be accused of having an agenda and all that shit.

Enviado de meu SM-G610M usando o Tapatalk
    Surely at least half of White Brazilians are mostly if not entirely of Portuguese ancestry? Likewise, half if not more of Uruguayans and maybe a third of White Argentinians are of full Spanish ancestry? Add the Italian ancestry in all three countries, and that must be 80-90% of their White populations for sure.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,234
    Given: 43,773

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Lol. indeed.

But isn't it entirely out of question that one of his ancestors was a Latin American? Or that he is from these parts of Spain with Spanish Japanese people. They are there since the 17th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_people_in_Spain

Aldeguer's Wiki page (only in Spanish is it available) makes no mention of any foreign ancestry: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nacho_Aldeguer

Banned
    Last Online
    10-01-2022 @ 12:19 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance - Native Brazilian - Celtic - North African - Mediterranean - African
    Ethnicity
    Coruscantian
    Country
    Brazil
    Hero
    Dom Pedro II
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,702
    Given: 85

1 Not allowed!

Surely at least half of White Brazilians are mostly if not entirely of Portuguese ancestry? Likewise, half if not more of Uruguayans and maybe a third of White Argentinians are of full Spanish ancestry? Add the Italian ancestry in all three countries, and that must be 80-90% of their White populations for sure.
    Yes, I would say 45-50% of white brazilians are heavily iberian mainly from Minho and Trás Montes, another 25-30% are at least partially iberian. But I think Latinus was talking about full iberians like 100% euro people, thats a minority everywhere in Latin America.

Banned
    Last Online
    05-23-2020 @ 07:25 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon, Gaul, Celtic
    Ethnicity
    3/4 English + 1/4 French
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 16

0 Not allowed!

On the other hand, I find White Brazilians, Uruguayans and Argentinians (and probably those from other Latin American countries too) tend to have notably fewer 'exotic', pseudo-MENA types than you find in Portugal, Spain and Italy themselves. By this I mean people who look like Ana Moura, Inma Cuesta, Rocio Munoz Morales, Megan Montaner, Lucianna di Falco, Maria Carta and Marcella Bella.
    I don't think this is true at all. Actually it should rather be the opposite: Latin Americans of (colonial) Iberian descent tend to be darker than their Old World counterparts.

Not just because of some small Amerindian or African admixture, but because I believe that Iberians were probably more MENA in the 1500s than they are today.

Don't forget that the Sephardic Jews were just expelled right away and that Moriscos (descendants of the Moors) were still living on the Peninsula.

Banned
    Last Online
    05-23-2020 @ 07:25 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon, Gaul, Celtic
    Ethnicity
    3/4 English + 1/4 French
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 16

0 Not allowed!

Also, regarding White Americans: I actually think that Brits are way blonder and more light-eyed than White Americans of Anglo descent.

Last Online
    Today @ 03:26 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    100% Northwest European and Flemish
    Ancestry
    From Flanders ( Koninkjrik België )
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R1a - L664
    mtDNA
    n/a
    Taxonomy
    60% Borreby with strong 40% Keltic Nordid admixture
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,186
    Given: 3

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
    Also, regarding White Americans: I actually think that Brits are way blonder and more light-eyed than White Americans of Anglo descent.
    White Americans are much more mixed than Britons! Just because they might have an English or British sounding name doesn’t mean that they are necessarily of British descent. Those who are truly of British descent are not that different from other British people.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information