Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35,590
    Given: 16,990

1 Not allowed!

Default Melník Chapel of Bones

Melník Chapel of Bones

Source: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/melnik-chapel-bones

For the Bohemian queens and princess, it was a raw deal; for the other 15,000 skeletons in this crypt, it was an upgrade to nicer digs.

The crypt under the St Peter and Paul’s church in Melník was intended to be a holy burial ground for Bohemia’s royal ladies, but in the 1520s a plague epidemic swept through the area, creating a huge demand for burial ground. The corpses which had been occupying the cemeteries surrounding the church were promptly dug up, and some 15,000 corpses were cleaned and dumped into the vault.

It was basically just a pile of bones, and in the 1780s when ossuaries were declared a health risk, the vault was bricked up and forgotten about for some 230 years, until a Czech anthropologist, Jindrich Matiegka, decided to take a look for himself.

Matiegka is considered one of the fathers of Czech anthropology, and spent a considerable amount of time studying skeletons, crypts, and ossuaries throughout the then Czechoslovakia. In the 1910s, Matiegka reopened the entrance to the crypt and began assembling the bones into his very own ossuary.

Arranged with a “literate theology,” Matiegka stacked the bones into orderly piles and meaningful patterns. The largest pile can be seen directly in front of the entrance and is 15 feet square and over six feet high, and is believed to contain roughly 10,000 skeletons.

Matiegka arranged the other 5,000 skeletons into a large cross of bones decorated with a palm frond, skulls into a heart shape representing love, and most notably built a tunnel of leg bones to represent Christ’s resurrection. Professor, anthropologist, and religious man, Matiegka definitely had a Gothic streak. As a kind of signature Matiegka wrote the Latin inscription “Ecce mors” (“Behold death”) spelled out in bones.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-19-2024 @ 01:06 PM
    Ethnicity
    Visayan (Filipino)
    Country
    Philippines
    Y-DNA
    The largest BBC in the TA but you can't suck it because I made a vow of celibacy. Chastity is sexy!
    Politics
    Righteous
    Hero
    DN8, Carlito's Way, The Lawspeaker, Toppo900, Teutone and KuriousKatKommittee!
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Repentant of my former man-whoreness. But you like it if naughty?! Ooh let me spank you my sinner!
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,721
    Given: 6,335

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kazimiera View Post
    Melník Chapel of Bones

Source: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/melnik-chapel-bones

For the Bohemian queens and princess, it was a raw deal; for the other 15,000 skeletons in this crypt, it was an upgrade to nicer digs.

The crypt under the St Peter and Paul’s church in Melník was intended to be a holy burial ground for Bohemia’s royal ladies, but in the 1520s a plague epidemic swept through the area, creating a huge demand for burial ground. The corpses which had been occupying the cemeteries surrounding the church were promptly dug up, and some 15,000 corpses were cleaned and dumped into the vault.

It was basically just a pile of bones, and in the 1780s when ossuaries were declared a health risk, the vault was bricked up and forgotten about for some 230 years, until a Czech anthropologist, Jindrich Matiegka, decided to take a look for himself.

Matiegka is considered one of the fathers of Czech anthropology, and spent a considerable amount of time studying skeletons, crypts, and ossuaries throughout the then Czechoslovakia. In the 1910s, Matiegka reopened the entrance to the crypt and began assembling the bones into his very own ossuary.

Arranged with a “literate theology,” Matiegka stacked the bones into orderly piles and meaningful patterns. The largest pile can be seen directly in front of the entrance and is 15 feet square and over six feet high, and is believed to contain roughly 10,000 skeletons.

Matiegka arranged the other 5,000 skeletons into a large cross of bones decorated with a palm frond, skulls into a heart shape representing love, and most notably built a tunnel of leg bones to represent Christ’s resurrection. Professor, anthropologist, and religious man, Matiegka definitely had a Gothic streak. As a kind of signature Matiegka wrote the Latin inscription “Ecce mors” (“Behold death”) spelled out in bones.

If I weren't taught from a young agr that the skeletons of the dead were sacred I would constantly be shared shit whenever I see those.

Sent from my CHM-U01 using Tapatalk

Thread Information