Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,570
    Given: 29,027

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Swede View Post
    At first hello again Grace .

Any knowledges how bad your last forest fires really were to your nature & animals (here they reported once that maybe even 1/3 of your coalas died )?
    Have there been discussions/plans/actions how to avoid the same in the future?

What are average Australians opinion against climate changes? Do you believe on it or not? If you believe on it, do you think humans (actions) have some role in here, or not? If the opinions differs here, which is the majority of people opinion (and how many might support that ... big majority or just bit more than half)?

Generally speaking do you share more the views of Western Europeans or Americans (which feels more familiar to you)? Not talking here your military or political partnerships (and natural ''effects'' of those) but type of thinking, world views and general opinions (as individual citizens)?

How Scandinavians are seen in Australia?
    Hi Finnish Swede. Nice to see you post here again.

Half a billion animals were killed which is absolutely shocking. They often do controlled burns here to keep the bush under control. Unfortunately bush fires have always been a part of Australian life and every summer there are fires but of course some are extremely bad with loss of life. The plant life here is very resilient and growth comes back very quickly. I don't think it is possible to control bush fires and if people build homes in areas where there are a lot of bush they do know it is a risk.

Yes I do believe in climate change and that human actions have contributed to it. The majority of Australians do believe that human activity is a big contributor to climate change and most don't think the Government is doing enough about it. I'm sure with these latest bush fires many Australians would be willing to pay more tax to try to combat or help with this. I think most Australians think we should be looking more towards renewable energy than using traditional power sources.

I think Australians are a bit unique in some respects but I think they are more similar to Europeans in their views in many areas. Australia does see itself as having a military presence in the Asia/Pacific region though (& with good reason) and America is a natural ally in the military area.

Regarding Scandinavians I think Australians have a lot of respect for them and have a high opinion. There are not that many Scandinavians here though compared to other nationalities. The Dutch seem to be the people that came to Australia in reasonable numbers. I have met some Scandinavians here and they all fitted the stereotype in that they were very polite and pleasant people. Scandinavians do seem to be a bit reserved in their personalities of course I'm sure they are different if you get to know them well.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-16-2024 @ 09:25 PM
    South land of the Holy Spirit (Australia)
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Macedonian Slav
    Ancestry
    Lerin and Bitola region
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b
    mtDNA
    U4c1
    Hero
    Jesus Christ, Saint Paul, Saint Peter, Saint John, Ignatius of Antioch, Polycarp, Justin Martyr
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,437
    Given: 5,645

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daco Celtic View Post
    Two Questions

Is it common to lock a house door or car door in Australia? I live in a an area where we don't lock our doors but that is not common in America as far as I know.

Do you you use the term "rubbish" to describe garbage or trash? It is seldom used in the US but my New England raised grandparents used it.
    It’s rubbish.

I grew up in the country, and we didn’t lock doors. It was just natural. Times have changed though, and now doors get locked.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Macedonian Slav
    Ancestry
    Lerin and Bitola region
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b
    mtDNA
    U4c1
    Hero
    Jesus Christ, Saint Paul, Saint Peter, Saint John, Ignatius of Antioch, Polycarp, Justin Martyr
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daco Celtic View Post
    Interesting. I thought Australia would be more laid back with that even in urban and suburban settings. Much of urban and suburban American locks there door but rural areas or isolated location often don't. I live in a fairly isolated coastal town of about 50,000.
    Ever since middle easterners and Africans started to arrive, doors started to be locked.

Out of the ***** Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,023
    Given: 2,190

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    Half a billion animals were killed which is absolutely shocking. They often do controlled burns here to keep the bush under control. Unfortunately bush fires have always been a part of Australian life and every summer there are fires but of course some are extremely bad with loss of life. The plant life here is very resilient and growth comes back very quickly. I don't think it is possible to control bush fires and if people build homes in areas where there are a lot of bush they do know it is a risk.
    Has the climate of yours become any warmer and/or dryier there, which could increase the potential risks of these bush fires? Maybe raining bit less? Or was it just bad luck now 2019?

Yes I do believe in climate change and that human actions have contributed to it. The majority of Australians do believe that human activity is a big contributor to climate change and most don't think the Government is doing enough about it. I'm sure with these latest bush fires many Australians would be willing to pay more tax to try to combat or help with this. I think most Australians think we should be looking more towards renewable energy than using traditional power sources.
    Well ... same in here. I'm bit ''stubborn'' person, and I hate to accept too easy, simple (quick) answers. More like; we can have many kinds of opinions about Greta Thunberg but at least now the topic is on the table. I think many forums handles her unfairly. What she do (how) or who might be behind of hers actions (supporting her) .... yes .... those can be discussed (and good to be aware) ... but those don't wash away the main topic. The problem just is that whatever for example Sweden or Finland will do (and we already do a lot) ... that alone has not real meanings. The world's biggest pullutions should do their parts. And those looks on their own belly only. Maybe, just maybe .... we could here learn something from Samis etc. indigenous people ... their relationships vs nature.

I think Australians are a bit unique in some respects but I think they are more similar to Europeans in their views in many areas. Australia does see itself as having a military presence in the Asia/Pacific region though (& with good reason) and America is a natural ally in the military area.
    So you (Australians) are not the biggest fans of Trump either or even their Republic partly (incl. their opinions against: gun laws, abortion questions, gender equality matters, climate issues, mixing religion to other parts of society (even leaders speeches), Israel policy etc.)? Not saying that their Democrats would be good at all ... more like the whole system is rotten.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    South Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Macedonian Slav
    Ancestry
    Lerin and Bitola region
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b
    mtDNA
    U4c1
    Hero
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post
    When I was a kid in the country I think my family often didn't lock our front door, that's sort of thing is definitely more common in smallish country towns where almost everyone knows each other.
    Yeah, my dad didn’t even lock the car door. We were very safe.

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,037
    Given: 6,628

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vojnik View Post
    I think my parents always locked the car after it ended up abandoned in Albury with piss all over the carpet

The town I grew up in is still alright for unlocked front doors though and even leaving goods/tools in the front garden, no African or Muslim communities there yet. Bigger nearby towns not so lucky.
    Last edited by Creoda; 03-15-2020 at 10:02 AM.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,570
    Given: 29,027

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Swede View Post
    Has the climate of yours become any warmer and/or dryier there, which could increase the potential risks of these bush fires? Maybe raining bit less? Or was it just bad luck now 2019?
    Yes the climate is getting hotter and dryer. 2019 was Australian's hottest and driest year on record.

So you (Australians) are not the biggest fans of Trump either or even their Republic partly (incl. their opinions against: gun laws, abortion questions, gender equality matters, climate issues, mixing religion to other parts of society (even leaders speeches), Israel policy etc.)? Not saying that their Democrats would be good at all ... more like the whole system is rotten.
    Australians are not like Americans at all. They aren't religious and are very matter of fact. No one in Government would mention God here. They keep their beliefs very much private. There was no problem changing gun laws here when Port Arthur happened.

Right wing parties here don't get voted into government. Both the two major Australian parties are more centrist. Liberal are a bit more on the conservative side and Labor are little more left but there really isn't a great deal of difference between them. Australians are fairly conservative in their thinking but there are no bible belts here. People just aren't religious so there has always been access to abortions, birth control etc. Australia though only recently allowed gay marriage but the population supported gay marriage for many years. Most people felt that it was up to the individual.

Last Online
    03-29-2024 @ 10:19 AM
    Ethnicity
    Indian
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    L1a1
    mtDNA
    J1
    Taxonomy
    Indo-Brachid + Gracile Indid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,455
    Given: 11,125

2 Not allowed!

I've heard that you're not a true australian until you have a fist fight with a kangaroo. Is that true?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dna8 View Post
    If God is an artist, the female form is his masterpiece.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Inselaffe
    Country
    New Zealand
    Y-DNA
    R-U106
    mtDNA
    HV18
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,648
    Given: 10,377

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vojnik View Post
    I left my van unlocked, albeit empty, a couple of days before Christmas. Some dumb bongas smashed two windows "breaking" into it. Check the door handles next time you low IQ monkeys.
    Last edited by frankhammer; 03-15-2020 at 01:42 PM.

Ülev

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Thambi View Post
    I've heard that you're not a true australian until you have a fist fight with a kangaroo. Is that true?
    from the times I was Australian

Quote Originally Posted by Sundqvist View Post

Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread Information