PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 113
Would you be in favor of the reunification of Ireland? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you be in favor of the reunification of Ireland?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,461
    Given: 28,932

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggery View Post
    Recently they did a survey in NI and because of Brexit, many people in Northern Ireland mentioned that they wanted to join mainland Ireland.
    Northern Ireland and Scotland were the 2 territories that voted overwhelmingly against the bretix and knowing that the bretix has won them left very disappointed.
    I know what you mean but they are one island so they don't say mainland Ireland. They would call Britain the mainland (well the Unionists do but the Nationalists don't). Yes Brexit is really shaking things up. A hard border is not wanted by either side of Ireland. Also I think a lot of Northern Irish are realising how much Britain is completely uninterested in their situation.

A lot of people in Ireland (i.e. the Republic) don't particularly want a united Ireland if it is going to cause them any problems but if push comes to shove I think a majority would vote for a United Ireland in the Republic. All this won't happen unless a majority both north and south vote for it. I do think if Brexit goes wrong and there is a hard border it could persuade a lot of Northern Irish to think about a United Ireland so that they could stay in the EU. It will be interesting to see what happens with the Scots as well.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Wildling
    Ancestry
    Cumbria, Scotland, Northumberland, Shetland
    Country
    Scotland
    Y-DNA
    R-L21*
    mtDNA
    K1C2a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,706
    Given: 5,850

2 Not allowed!

Was amusing seeing an Orange band leading the brexit thing in London was from my town. Most English don't even know what the lodge is, it all looks like jolly old funfair.

Northern Irish protestants are more pro-British in identity than England is. The DUP are only relevant because they hold some power in the way that ireland did in the latter 19th century hung parliament. The English MPs will sell the DUP as soon as the DUP can't annoy them.

Sinn fein could do more damage and improve their chances by annoying English politicians sitting in parliament.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Was amusing seeing an Orange band leading the brexit thing in London was from my town. Most English don't even know what the lodge is, it all looks like jolly old funfair.

Northern Irish protestants are more pro-British in identity than England is. The DUP are only relevant because they hold some power in the way that ireland did in the latter 19th century hung parliament. The English MPs will sell the DUP as soon as the DUP can't annoy them.

Sinn fein could do more damage and improve their chances by annoying English politicians sitting in parliament.
    Sinn Fein won't sit in Parliament though. A lot of people think they should but they will never do it.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-22-2020 @ 12:02 AM
    Ethnicity
    Turk
    Country
    Flanders
    Y-DNA
    R1b-M269*
    mtDNA
    K1a19
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,356
    Given: 1,612

0 Not allowed!

I don't believe in externally forced independence. my opinion is therefore meaningless. if the Irish(including northern irish) want it, they have to show it. frankly I don't see much action.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    I don't believe in externally forced independence. my opinion is therefore meaningless. if the Irish(including n.rthern irish) want it, they have to show it. frankly I don't see much action.
    You don't appear to know the history too well. There's a couple of good docos on Netflix at the minute about Northern Ireland.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Wildling
    Ancestry
    Country
    Scotland
    Y-DNA
    R-L21*
    mtDNA
    K1C2a
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    Sinn Fein won't sit in Parliament though. A lot of people think they should but they will never do it.
    Some votes in the house of commons are being won and lost by a few seats in the last month. It's a shame that a proper party like the SDLP can't have any influence with no mps at the moment.

The DUP with Brexit and their recent influence over England have done more to improve Irelands unification than Sinn Feinns protest party ever have.

Inactive
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Country
    North-Korea
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b-PH908
    mtDNA
    J2b1
    Taxonomy
    Alpinid
    Hero
    Jake Gyllenhaal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,113
    Given: 10,158

0 Not allowed!

Doesn't bother me either way.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Wildling
    Ancestry
    Country
    Scotland
    Y-DNA
    R-L21*
    mtDNA
    K1C2a
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

You don't appear to know the history too well. There's a couple of good docos on Netflix at the minute about Northern Ireland.
    BBC has a good programme on i player at the moment called 'Border Country: When Ireland Was Divided'. If you can somehow watch it.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Some votes in the house of commons are being won and lost by a few seats in the last month. It's a shame that a proper party like the SDLP can't have any influence with no mps at the moment.

The DUP with Brexit and their recent influence over England have done more to improve Irelands unification than Sinn Feinns protest party ever have.
    Well that's definitely true. DUP are stabbing themselves in the foot and I can't understand their rationale. They don't appear to have cottoned on that a no deal Brexit will push a lot of Northern Irish into considering rejoining with the rest of Ireland including a lot of their supporters. They are out of step with a lot of the population in Northern Ireland.

Sinn Fein on principle won't take their seats in the UK parliament. They aren't going to change that. I think to many people outside Ireland (and in Ireland as well) the politics in Northern Ireland are a complete puzzlement.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Wildling
    Ancestry
    Country
    Scotland
    Y-DNA
    R-L21*
    mtDNA
    K1C2a
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Well that's definitely true. DUP are stabbing themselves in the foot and I can't understand their rationale. They don't appear to have cottoned on that a no deal Brexit will push a lot of Northern Irish into considering rejoining with the rest of Ireland including a lot of their supporters. They are out of step with a lot of the population in Northern Ireland.

Sinn Fein on principle won't take their seats in the UK parliament. They aren't going to change that. I think to many people outside Ireland (and in Ireland as well) the politics in Northern Ireland are a complete puzzlement.
    You have to swear an Oath of Allegiance to even become an MP in parliament and that alone stops it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information