Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's the minimum qualification required for Aliyah?

Johannes factotum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    07-26-2023 @ 01:37 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Ethnicity
    440/512 Ashkenazi, 41/512 Sephardic, 31/512 Musta'arabi, minor English, Portuguese & Spanish
    Ancestry
    67% Middle Eastern Neolithic, 20% European Mesolithic, 10% Eurasian Invasion, 2% Siberian, 1% Africa
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    E-FT333743
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1a
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med
    Politics
    Campanilismo
    Hero
    Bartolomé de las Casas
    Religion
    Awaiting the return of King Arthur
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37,277
    Given: 39,691

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoEuropean View Post
    That one of your grandparents is Jewish under Jewish law or that you have you been a member of any Jewish congregation for a year.
    not even close
    Who is rich? He who is happy with what he has - Simeon ben Zoma, Ethics of the Fathers, Talmud, Avot 4:1

Quote Originally Posted by zhaoyun View Post
    I'll say this once and I don't expect you to ever have me fucking repeat this again.

Longbowman isn't just a member, he's a lifestyle.
    I live here. I also live here.

Europeans worldwide * Longbowman's family on 23andme * Classify Longbowman * Ask Longbowman anything

High on life and drunk on knowledge
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    05-02-2022 @ 05:30 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ascended Nubian Pharaoh
    Ethnicity
    Canned Fried Chicken
    Ancestry
    Black and Bold
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    E1b1N1GA
    mtDNA
    Nubian
    Taxonomy
    Black Israelite
    Politics
    Ham Sandwich
    Hero
    Elvis
    Religion
    Ham Sandwich Gang
    Relationship Status
    Married to Cousin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21,068
    Given: 39,684

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dna8 View Post
    Really? I can convert and become eligible?

I've asked my folks if we have any Jewish descent but they said we don't.
    Yea you convert but you must be with the congregation for a full year. They are starting to relax the laws for Sephardi's so it may even be less now. Nfesh Nnefesh usually has pretty good info and help. Anyone who is a Jew (including reform Jews) is eligible . You need no actual Jewish heritage. You can also ease into the process through acceptance to a Kibbutz where they can aid in the process alongside groups like Nfesh.

Johannes factotum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Ethnicity
    440/512 Ashkenazi, 41/512 Sephardic, 31/512 Musta'arabi, minor English, Portuguese & Spanish
    Ancestry
    67% Middle Eastern Neolithic, 20% European Mesolithic, 10% Eurasian Invasion, 2% Siberian, 1% Africa
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    E-FT333743
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1a
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med
    Politics
    Campanilismo
    Hero
    Bartolomé de las Casas
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Yea you convert but you must be with the congregation for a full year. They are starting to relax the laws for Sephardi's so it may even be less now. Nfesh Nnefesh usually has pretty good info and help. Anyone who is a Jew (including reform Jews) is eligible . You need no actual Jewish heritage. You can also ease into the process through acceptance to a Kibbutz where they can aid in the process alongside groups like Nfesh.
    Please stop making stuff up. There is no difference in Israel's eyes between Sephardi, Ashkenazi, Temani (etc) immigrants assuming they satisfy the following conditions:

1) Ethnically Jewish, in that they are 1/4 or more Jewish - one of their grandparents (minimum) needs to be a halakhic Jew OR they themselves need to be a convert to a mainstream Jewish denomination - specifically, Orthodox, Masorti, or Reform. Once you have completed that process, you are eligible for aliyah. Conversion takes years, though.
    2) If 1) is satisfied, whilst they do not need to be observant, they cannot have converted to another religion, even if they are fully Jewish, as this renders them ineligible

It goes without saying that Messianic 'Jews' do not qualify.

In practise, however, the Israelis are often reticent to recognise foreign conversions and there are many instances of them deciding that individuals are or were gentiles, despite having raised practising Jewish families, who are then suddenly classified as goyim.

On the other hand, if you are 25% Jewish and you choose to immigrate, you can bring along your spouse and children, even if they are non-Jewish. Thus, many 1/8 Jewish ex-soviets migrated in the 90s.

Converting under the auspices of a Sephardic beit din will not make things any faster for you.
    Who is rich? He who is happy with what he has - Simeon ben Zoma, Ethics of the Fathers, Talmud, Avot 4:1

I'll say this once and I don't expect you to ever have me fucking repeat this again.

Europeans worldwide * Longbowman's family on 23andme * Classify Longbowman * Ask Longbowman anything

. . .
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:07 PM
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Region
    Moldova
    Y-DNA
    J2a1b3 (J-Z467)
    mtDNA
    H14b
    Politics
    Noam Chomsky
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,341
    Given: 31,393

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Longbowman View Post
    being the child of a non-jew and a 1/4 jew who migrates to Israel.
    are people of full Jewish descent like you rather rare or not?

also, are you, those of absolute full Jewish descent for so many known generations regarded/praised more than those with less Jewish descent in the Jewish community or Israel?

High on life and drunk on knowledge
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    05-02-2022 @ 05:30 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ascended Nubian Pharaoh
    Ethnicity
    Canned Fried Chicken
    Ancestry
    Black and Bold
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    E1b1N1GA
    mtDNA
    Nubian
    Taxonomy
    Black Israelite
    Politics
    Ham Sandwich
    Hero
    Elvis
    Religion
    Ham Sandwich Gang
    Relationship Status
    Married to Cousin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21,068
    Given: 39,684

0 Not allowed!

Please stop making stuff up. There is no difference in Israel's eyes between Sephardi, Ashkenazi, Temani (etc) immigrants assuming they satisfy the following conditions:

1) Ethnically Jewish, in that they are 1/4 or more Jewish - one of their grandparents (minimum) needs to be a halakhic Jew OR they themselves need to be a convert to a mainstream Jewish denomination - specifically, Orthodox, Masorti, or Reform. Once you have completed that process, you are eligible for aliyah. Conversion takes years, though.
    2) If 1) is satisfied, whilst they do not need to be observant, they cannot have converted to another religion, even if they are fully Jewish, as this renders them ineligible

It goes without saying that Messianic 'Jews' do not qualify.

In practise, however, the Israelis are often reticent to recognise foreign conversions and there are many instances of them deciding that individuals are or were gentiles, despite having raised practising Jewish families, who are then suddenly classified as goyim.

On the other hand, if you are 25% Jewish and you choose to immigrate, you can bring along your spouse and children, even if they are non-Jewish. Thus, many 1/8 Jewish ex-soviets migrated in the 90s.

Converting under the auspices of a Sephardic beit din will not make things any faster for you.
    You are misreading everything I am saying. I am Not saying they discriminate, but there are a lot of people of Spanish and Portuguese Sephardi descent that do not qualify as they have been disconnected from congregations for a long time. There are tons of congregations springing up in South America supported by Israeli groups. I am not saying being Sephardi will get you anywhere faster, what I am saying is the Israeli system is becoming more lax over time. You are correct, if you go there as a reform convert you are going to maybe have some stigma attached and have to take further steps to even get married, I am just talking the minimum for getting there. I have talked to representatives from the organization I mentioned before, they said 1 year and of course some other stuff alongside, but that is the information they gave me in regards to conversion.

Johannes factotum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    E-FT333743
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1a
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med
    Politics
    Campanilismo
    Hero
    Bartolomé de las Casas
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nurzat View Post
    are people of full Jewish descent like you rather rare or not?

also, are you, those of absolute full Jewish descent for so many known generations regarded/praised more than those with less Jewish descent in the Jewish community or Israel?
    There are like, 12-13 million of us kicking around.

In the ultra-Orthodox community, your yichus is quite important, and that includes not being a convert or the child of converts (or the child of divorced parents, reformniks, etc). In the regular community it's not so important. One of Ariel Sharon's parents was a Subbotnik (ethnic Russian judaiser) and no one cared, obviously.

Johannes factotum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    E-FT333743
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1a
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med
    Politics
    Campanilismo
    Hero
    Bartolomé de las Casas
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

You are misreading everything I am saying. I am Not saying they discriminate, but there are a lot of people of Spanish and Portuguese Sephardi descent that do not qualify as they have been disconnected from congregations for a long time. There are tons of congregations springing up in South America supported by Israeli groups. I am not saying being Sephardi will get you anywhere faster, what I am saying is the Israeli system is becoming more lax over time. You are correct, if you go there as a reform convert you are going to maybe have some stigma attached and have to take further steps to even get married, I am just talking the minimum for getting there. I have talked to representatives from the organization I mentioned before, they said 1 year and of course some other stuff alongside, but that is the information they gave me in regards to conversion.
    I would say the issue is perhaps with how you're expressing yourself. To be clear:

1) Obviously, people who are 1/128 Sephardic or whatever do not count as Jews. Being 1/8, 1/16, 1/256 Jewish is not strictly speaking interesting to the Jewish community, although if it's your direct maternal line there is an interesting halakhic question to be raised, particularly if it's within 3 generations, and of course, you are still 'zera yisra'el,' which constitutes a halakhically defined group, but not Jews.
    2) There are several missionary groups that seek to convert 'bnei anusim' to Judaism, many of which focus on South America in the belief that 1/3 of you are 1/128 Sephardic or more. Most Jews view these missionary groups as weirdos, but if you convert, you convert.
    3) It doesn't matter whether or not you're 1/128 Sephardic in the end, it's fairly meaningless. You could live your entire life as a Catholic or whatever and that would be that. Or you could convert to Judaism. Of course, so could a gentile with 0 Jewish heritage. Conversion is easier for people with recent Jewish heritage, particularly a living ancestor, but if anyone's making things easier for you because your great x 6 grandparent might have been a marrano, that's probably a good reason to invalidate the process.

TL;DR: you said 'things are getting easier for Sephardim' referring to bnei anusim.

a) Bnei Anusim are not Sephardim, they are Bnei Anusim
    b) Things are exactly the same for them as for any other non-Jew
    c) I guarantee you the state of Israel will not change its criteria for aliyah. It will do what it does now: foment discord amongst diasporic populations to encourage actual Jews to migrate - particulary (currently) focusing on France and Ukraine.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-06-2021 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,890
    Given: 24,545

0 Not allowed!

I would say the issue is perhaps with how you're expressing yourself. To be clear:

1) Obviously, people who are 1/128 Sephardic or whatever do not count as Jews. Being 1/8, 1/16, 1/256 Jewish is not strictly speaking interesting to the Jewish community, although if it's your direct maternal line there is an interesting halakhic question to be raised, particularly if it's within 3 generations, and of course, you are still 'zera yisra'el,' which constitutes a halakhically defined group, but not Jews.
    2) There are several missionary groups that seek to convert 'bnei anusim' to Judaism, many of which focus on South America in the belief that 1/3 of you are 1/128 Sephardic or more. Most Jews view these missionary groups as weirdos, but if you convert, you convert.
    3) It doesn't matter whether or not you're 1/128 Sephardic in the end, it's fairly meaningless. You could live your entire life as a Catholic or whatever and that would be that. Or you could convert to Judaism. Of course, so could a gentile with 0 Jewish heritage. Conversion is easier for people with recent Jewish heritage, particularly a living ancestor, but if anyone's making things easier for you because your great x 6 grandparent might have been a marrano, that's probably a good reason to invalidate the process.

TL;DR: you said 'things are getting easier for Sephardim' referring to bnei anusim.

a) Bnei Anusim are not Sephardim, they are Bnei Anusim
    b) Things are exactly the same for them as for any other non-Jew
    c) I guarantee you the state of Israel will not change its criteria for aliyah. It will do what it does now: foment discord amongst diasporic populations to encourage actual Jews to migrate - particulary (currently) focusing on France and Ukraine.
    What do you call about people who have Jewish genetic ancestry like myself but don't identify themselves as Jews?

Johannes factotum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    E-FT333743
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1a
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med
    Politics
    Campanilismo
    Hero
    Bartolomé de las Casas
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Toppo900 View Post
    What do you call about people who have Jewish genetic ancestry like myself but don't identify themselves as Jews?
    How you choose to identify is next to irrelevant, it's the culture you were either raised in or chose to immerse yourself in. As neither applies to you, I do not view you as Jewish, but of course, you could become Jewish if you wanted to.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-06-2021 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,890
    Given: 24,545

0 Not allowed!

How you choose to identify is next to irrelevant, it's the culture you were either raised in or chose to immerse yourself in. As neither applies to you, I do not view you as Jewish, but of course, you could become Jewish if you wanted to.
    Palestinian Christians are ironically the closest people who are genetically the closest to the ancient Israelites along with the Samaritans and so on. Here's my G25 results:

Fit 1.1002

Levant_Canaanite_MBA: 63.33
    IRN_Seh_Gabi_C: 14.17
    Mozabite: 13.33
    RUS_Afanasievo: 9.17

Your oracle

1. Lebanese_Druze@3.1980
    2. Lebanese_Muslim@3.2969
    3. Syrian_Jew@3.6910
    4. Palestinian@3.7544
    5. Druze@3.8065
    6. Lebanese_Christian@4.0344
    7. Samaritan@4.7880
    8. Iraq_Jew@4.8028
    9. Libyan_Jew@4.8614
    10. Tunisian_Jew@4.9693
    11. BedouinA@5.1962(I am pretty sure this Bedouin sample is mixed with a Levantine person)
    12. Iranian_Jew@5.2384
    13. Cypriot@5.5206
    14. Georgian_Jew@5.5470
    15. Romaniote_Jew@5.6177
    16. Assyrian@5.8626
    17. Sepharidic_Jew@6.0225
    18. Moroccan_Jew@6.0430
    19. Armenian@6.5415
    20. Italian_Jew@6.5482
    21. Greek_Central_Anatolia@6.7717
    22. Ashkenazi_Jew@6.8964
    23. Greek_Crete@7.4310
    24. Turkish_Trabzon@7.5902
    25. Turkish_Kayseri@7.6374
    26. Kurdish@7.6577
    27. Yemenite_Amran@7.8622
    28. Maltese@7.8881
    29. Greek_Trabzon@7.9647
    30. Turkish_Adana@8.1928
    31. Iranian_Lor@8.1945
    32. Azeri@8.3309
    33. Sicilian_East@8.4193
    34. Italian_South@8.6437
    35. Sicilian_West@8.9043
    36. Iranian_Zoroastrian@9.0808
    37. Iranian_Persian@9.1721
    38. Georgian_Laz@9.1806
    39. Yemenite_Dhamar@9.2907
    40. Iranian_Fars@9.3184
    41. Yemenite_Jew@9.6777
    42. Egyptian@9.6884
    43. Italian_Abruzzo@9.6938
    44. Yemenite_Ma'rib@9.7852
    45. Turkish_Istanbul@9.9188
    46. Azeri_Dagestan@10.0207
    47. Yemenite_Al_Jawf@10.4278
    48. Turkish_Aydin@10.5407
    49. Saudi@10.6830
    50. BedouinB@10.7055

I could become one but I'm afraid my parents would kick me out of the house if I did that, rofl. I accepted Jesus as my lord and savior though..but theoretically speaking, I would be a full blooded Jew If I converted to Judaism, no?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information