View Poll Results: Are you lactose intolerant?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am lactose intolerant

15 18.99%
  • No problem with it.

55 69.62%
  • I don't know. Maybe?

9 11.39%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you lactose intolerant? Yes, or no?

Last Online
    04-23-2023 @ 02:25 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Homo sapiens
    Ethnicity
    Homo
    Country
    Pakistan
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 285
    Given: 286

0 Not allowed!

I don't know though I eat all kinds of dairy products without any problem except when I drink milk it produces gas. Though milk consumption in my family is very low at around 40 litres per head annually as pure milk is not available in the market.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:22 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Polish and distant Ashkenazi Jewish.
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Shqiptar in disguise
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1 Hyperborean
    Taxonomy
    Moderately not ugly Atlantid with Dinaric influence.
    Politics
    Social Liberalism - apparently.
    Hero
    Goofy
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,572
    Given: 48,303

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by alpha.ghot View Post
    I don't know though I eat all kinds of dairy products without any problem except when I drink milk it produces gas. Though milk consumption in my family is very low at around 40 litres per head annually as pure milk is not available in the market.
    Repetitive bloating means that you are lactose intolerant.

Andid999
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 04:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Uruguayan
    Ancestry
    56% North Italy, 12% Spain, 12% Basque, 12% Lebanon, 6% France, 1% Native American
    Country
    Uruguay
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA
    H1e
    Taxonomy
    Alpine med
    Politics
    Centre-left
    Religion
    Agnostic - culturally Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,056
    Given: 6,398

2 Not allowed!

I voted “yes” because I reckon milk doesnt do me good. Yet, I can eat lactose derivates like cheese with no major issues. Also, in 23andme I got “high chances to be lactose intolerant”. I believe Im somewhere in the middle.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Barbarian
    Country
    European Union
    Y-DNA
    R-FGC32320
    mtDNA
    U2e2a1a1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 297

0 Not allowed!

Nope, I don't have any food intolerance

Last Online
    Today @ 07:25 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European, Levantine (Syrian)
    Ethnicity
    West-Eurasian
    Ancestry
    Algeria, Europe and Syria
    Country
    Israel
    Y-DNA
    R1b1a1b1a1a2b or U152 (Christovano Barattini -Suna)
    mtDNA
    me: U1a1a1 (Buza Maggiori-Italy); dad: I1b (Pied-Noir)
    Politics
    Ancap
    Hero
    Jeffrey Sachs
    Religion
    Ezekiel 35
    Relationship Status
    Fatti gli affari tuoi!
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,738
    Given: 11,515

0 Not allowed!

I aswered it wrong, I am lactose tolerant, but because I am celiac, i can't drink milk or ear dairy products, since it is an inflamatory food.
    Last edited by Rafael Passoni; 07-27-2023 at 07:03 AM.
    Spoiler!

Banned Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    3:28
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,918
    Given: 1,564

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Annie999 View Post
    I voted “yes” because I reckon milk doesnt do me good. Yet, I can eat lactose derivates like cheese with no major issues. Also, in 23andme I got “high chances to be lactose intolerant”. I believe Im somewhere in the middle.
    Cheese doesn't have lactose, it turned into lactic acid to become cheese (only fresh cheese like cottage cheese does because it didn't have time to mature).

You can check the lactose content of cheese by looking at the carb section on the label.

Aged cheese like Parmesan usually has less than 1% carbs, this is the lactose content.

Слава Путину! Я люблю Россию. Z
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 06:18 PM
    From Dorset, but live in the City of Westminster (Central London)
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    English, 1/8 Welsh, 1/16 Western Irish.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,549
    Given: 27,895

0 Not allowed!

No, I've never had any problems with drinking milk and eating dairy products from both cows and goats.

But like a lot of British people, I have stomach problems when it comes to eating very hot and spicy foods, which people have more tolerance to in countries such as India and Mexico and Thailand. I can only handle mild (korma) curries, but certainly not madras or vindaloo strength or hot chilli sauces... otherwise it just causes a burning sensation of the lips, tongue, and throat, eyes start watering, slight wheeziness, along with intense stomach pains and upsets.

An Englishman tried to eat a hot chilli crisp on TV... and his eyes started streaming and his voice went raspy at 3:07 in the video, he said his mouth and throat were burning, his skin started sweating, his hands started trembling at 5:24, and then within minutes at 7:55 he soon felt stomach pains and sickness, before he swallowed a glass of cool milk at 8:24 to try to stop the burning in his stomach:

A female sociologist teacher who I'm friendly with in London is half Vietnamese, and she suffers from lactose intolerance and has osteoporosis, and she's very thin and frail with brittle bones. She said that she has to take calcium supplements daily, but she said that unfortunately the lactose-free calcium tablets are not of same quality of calcium that comes from dairy products.

She explained that the reason why I'm not intolerant to lactose is because over many generations, my English, Irish, and Welsh ancestors developed an enzyme in our bodies that makes us able to tolerate the grass and digest the cows milk.

Although I am diagnosed as Anaphylactic and have to carry life-saving emergency adrenaline injections with me everywhere that I go.

A food intolerance is different to Anaphylaxis and has different symptoms - and Anaphylaxis can be life-threatening, whereas food intolerances tends to just cause a stomach upset or nausea.

The cause of my allergy is still not known - despite lots of blood tests in hospital, but I can eat almost anything (nuts, seeds, wheat, honey, rice, fish, dairy products, etc, and I have no problems with latex and pets,) without having sudden breathing difficulties (except for very hot and spicy foods - which causes a stomach upset rather than a full-on allergic reaction,) and I also have intolerance problems with anything that's very acidic, such as citrus fruits, (I can only handle small amounts - no more than 1/4 of a small orange or grapefruit, and preferably diluted fruit juices that's not from concentrate,) - which also causes me to have painful stomach upsets (intolerance.)

I'm convinced that it's the chemicals in air freshener sprays that triggers a severe allergic reaction in me, causes my face to suddenly go red, causes the lining in my throat to swell and tighten, causes me to have heart palpitations, and causes sudden difficulty in talking and breathing. I've noticed a pattern as I only have those reactions shortly after people have sprayed strong chemical sprays into a room, and I always get headaches and feel sick whenever electric plug-in scent diffusers are used in rooms (which also contain strong chemicals.) The headaches and sick feeling goes away within an hour of so after the plug-ins are switched off. I'm fine though with natural aromatherapy oils.

The last time I had an Anaphylactic shock (which happened within minutes of someone spraying something into a room,) my throat started swelling and suddenly felt sore, I struggled to speak and couldn't finish sentences, and then I couldn't say any words at all, my breathing felt tight, my face went red, and I felt weak and dizzy... despite feeling well and fine before the sudden reaction, and paramedics injected me three times in my arms and leg to try to calm the symptoms down and gave me an oxygen mask which helped, and I had to stay wired-up on monitors in hospital for 24 hours observation incase of a secondary reaction as a precaution. Then I was told to take antihistamines and a few other pills they gave me each day for the following week.

There was an Anaphylactic man in London who had an allergy to nuts which killed him. He attended a party and explained his nut allergy beforehand, and they made sure that his food wouldn't contain nuts. However, his food was prepared in a room where nut traces had been present - even though nuts weren't directly used in his food, and his sensitivity to this caused him to have sudden breathing difficulties, his face and lips and throat swelled up, his skin went clammy and he started scratching himself, his heart started beating fast in panic, and his face went red and then blue as he struggled to talk and breathe. He injected himself with two EpiPens and was rushed to hospital, recovered for 12 hours, but tragically died in hospital the following day from a secondary reaction.

If I'm standing in a shop, for example, and someone starts spraying aerosols, I just cover my mouth and nose, try to hold my breath for a short while and quickly move away, so I don't inhale the chemicals which irritates my throat.

TL;DR: No lactose intolerance, but intolerance to very hot/spicy foods and can only handle small amounts of citrus fruits, and have anaphylactic reactions to certain chemicals in aerosol sprays.
    Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 07-27-2023 at 11:06 AM.
    ❀♫ ღ ♬ ♪ And the angle of the sun changed it all. ❀¸.•*¨♥✿ 🎶

Banned Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    3:28
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,918
    Given: 1,564

2 Not allowed!

I make homemade kefir at my home, I buy the kefir grain from a Georgian lady in the market when it rarely dies.

It's the best way to consume dairy for the health benefits, everyone should give it a shot.

PS. There is no lactose in kefir, the kefir grain eats it and turns it into very potent lactic acid.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 05:06 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    North-West European, minor North-Amerindian
    Ancestry
    British Isles (77%) Scandinavia (10%) France (9%) North-Amerindian (4%)
    Country
    Canada
    Y-DNA
    I-L233
    mtDNA
    X2b4
    Taxonomy
    Keltic Nordid / Atlantid
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    North-Sea Aesthetic
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,397
    Given: 15,499

0 Not allowed!

No, no food allergies or intolerances
    Anglo Saxon + Frank (4.336)
    Viking Danish + Frank (4.338)
    Gael + Frank (4.39)
    Anglo Saxon (4.393)
    Viking Danish + Anglo Saxon (4.568)

Last Online
    Today @ 06:31 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Southerner
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Ancestry
    Russian, Ukrainian, Greek, Vlach
    Country
    Russia
    Politics
    Apolitical Monarchism & Meritocracy - against all ideologies and utopias
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,868
    Given: 7,222

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by eupator View Post
    I make homemade kefir at my home, I buy the kefir grain from a Georgian lady in the market when it rarely dies.

It's the best way to consume dairy for the health benefits, everyone should give it a shot.

PS. There is no lactose in kefir, the kefir grain eats it and turns it into very potent lactic acid.
    Kefir rules, kefir > yoghurt imo
    Dogodine u Odesi

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information