Thread: Systems with small disks won’t be able to install Windows 10 May 2019 update

Banned
    Last Online
    01-07-2021 @ 11:31 AM
    Ethnicity
    Zeta Reticulan
    Country
    Antarctica
    Politics
    Copernican Principle
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,346
    Given: 1,328

1 Not allowed!

Default Systems with small disks won’t be able to install Windows 10 May 2019 update

Heads up Windows 10 users:

Traditionally, Microsoft would use the release of a new operating system to bump the minimum hardware requirements that the software needs. With Windows 10 being the "last" version of Windows, Microsoft is using the major updates to bump specs. The May 2019 update, version 1903, takes the opportunity to do just this.

Previously, 32-bit Windows had a minimum storage requirement of 16GB, and 64-bit Windows needed 20GB. Both of these were extremely tight, leaving little breathing room for actual software, but technically this was enough space for everything to work. That minimum has now been bumped up: it's 32GB for both 32- and 64-bit versions of Windows.

Part of this growth may be due to a new behavior that Microsoft is introducing with version 1903. To ensure that future updates install without difficulty, 7GB of disk space are permanently reserved for the install process. While this will avoid out-of-disk errors when updating, it represents a substantial reduction in usable space on these low-storage systems.

If your system can't be upgraded, it'll be stuck with version 1809 for the remainder of its supported life; that's currently set to expire on May 12 2020 for Home, Pro, and Pro for Workstations editions, and May 11, 2021 for Enterprise and Education editions. Version 1809 also has a long-term servicing channel counterpart, which will receive bug fixes and security updates until January 9, 2024 and security fixes until January 9, 2029. It would be nice if Microsoft offered these fixes to hardware that's left abandoned by a feature update, but we wouldn't hold our breath.

The new disk requirements also don't apply to the Windows 10 IoT edition. This version should have a smaller disk footprint in general, so should have more breathing room for future updates. There's also no change for Windows Server's hardware requirements; that version of Windows already required a minimum of 32GB disk space.
    Source

Banned
    Last Online
    01-19-2020 @ 11:30 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Junior sergeant
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Ancestry
    Black Sea coast
    Country
    Russia
    Region
    Moscow
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    Politics
    The way home
    Religion
    Soviest'
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,137
    Given: 5,254

1 Not allowed!

To some extent logical decision. Having a small disk (most likely the rest of the hardware also corresponds), why put Windows 10 there, Windows XP/7 or a lightweight Linux build should be sufficient.
    Windows 10 on the desktop can be brought to a decent look - you need to take the server version of 2016 or 2019, and make some settings (mainly concerning system services), there are many instructions on the Internet. It turns out almost the same as Windows 7, but modern. Games and programs work well.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Zeta Reticulan
    Country
    Antarctica
    Politics
    Copernican Principle
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimean View Post
    To some extent logical decision. Having a small disk (most likely the rest of the hardware also corresponds), why put Windows 10 there, Windows XP/7 or a lightweight Linux build should be sufficient.
    Windows 10 on the desktop can be brought to a decent look - you need to take the server version of 2016 or 2019, and make some settings (mainly concerning system services), there are many instructions on the Internet. It turns out almost the same as Windows 7, but modern. Games and programs work well.
    With Windows 10 you are not buying a product but a service. I've made upgrade from my Windows 7 to Windows 10 a couple of years ago and found no permanent way to stop the Windows updates, some of whom messed some of my drivers and some other messed some software I had. So soon thereafter I switched to Linux on my home PC.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-19-2020 @ 11:30 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Junior sergeant
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Ancestry
    Black Sea coast
    Country
    Russia
    Region
    Moscow
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    Politics
    The way home
    Religion
    Soviest'
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,137
    Given: 5,254

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by pulstar View Post
    With Windows 10 you are not buying a product but a service. I've made upgrade from my Windows 7 to Windows 10 a couple of years ago and found no permanent way to stop the Windows updates, some of whom messed some of my drivers and some other messed some software I had. So soon thereafter I switched to Linux on my home PC.
    I have a similar situation. On my laptop Linux is installed, and Windows 10 in a virtual machine just in case (I am a developer). On a stationary PC Windows 7, and there is no sense in changing it for anything.
    Regarding updates, they can be disabled in several ways:
    -through group policies (not available in lower versions)
    -in the registry
    - there are special tweakers (probably unsafe, I have not checked)

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Zeta Reticulan
    Country
    Antarctica
    Politics
    Copernican Principle
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimean View Post
    I have a similar situation. On my laptop Linux is installed, and Windows 10 in a virtual machine just in case (I am a developer). On a stationary PC Windows 7, and there is no sense in changing it for anything.
    Regarding updates, they can be disabled in several ways:
    -through group policies (not available in lower versions)
    -in the registry
    - there are special tweakers (probably unsafe, I have not checked)
    They may have fixed those things by now. I had Windows 10 upgrade straight after it went out. Yes, I use Windows on VMware, but not as my OS.

Last Online
    10-20-2020 @ 10:23 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sardinian
    Ethnicity
    Sardinian
    Ancestry
    North Western Sardinia
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Sardinia
    Hero
    Leonidas of Sparta, Constantine XI, Hampsicoras of Cornus (Sardinian Hero)
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,656
    Given: 332

0 Not allowed!

When you upgrade your OS, a certain amount of Gb is needed to create the folder Windows.old, where you previous system remains stored for about a month just in case you need a rollback. If you had tons of used Gb in your C: hard disk, then the Windows.old folder will be huge.

I personally never had problems upgrading from Windows 7 to 10, or to newer builds of Windows 10, I always upgraded installing it on the previous system without any single problem.

I've already installed Windows 10 1903 about two weeks ago, because the previous build (1809) was having problems after the last montly update; the system randomly froze because of a conflict with the update process of Avira antivirus. So I scavenged the RTM of Windows 10 1903 and the problems have disappeared.
    Non Auro, Sed Ferro, Recuperanda Est Patria (Not by Gold, But by Iron, Is the Nation to be Recovered) - Marcus Furius Camillus (Roman General)

Thread Information