Ugly history as it is. Don't blame me.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,437
    Given: 1,436

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Swede View Post
    Hopefully not (like this).

]

Harkonnen is just telling jokes here (his humor). If east Finns could really be better in something ... then wrestiling and weightlifting. No matter what, Ostrobothia will rule the first one.
    Hardly in handball )

For Harkonnen & Lemminkäinen: I reading about Erik Heinrichs now (his biography). A great ''Finn''?

Only thing we have to worry now is why the Finns have almost no success recently. Probably because West Finns are not today interested in sports like they were to the beginning of the second millennium.

Olympic gold metals

72 3
    76 4
    80 3
    84 4
    88 1
    92 1
    96 1
    00 2
    04 0
    08 1
    12 0
    16 0
    20 0 (for sure)

https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suomi_olympialaisissa

Out of the ***** Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,023
    Given: 2,190

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lemminkäinen View Post
    Only thing we have to worry now is why the Finns have almost no success recently.
    Wrong sports at Olympics?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:58 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Sweden
    Region
    Finnmark
    Politics
    None
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,589
    Given: 462

0 Not allowed!

This sucks. Over 30000 Finns escaped to Sweden after the Great Northern War and never came back. I am ashamed of the way how little Finns know their own history. How dare you?

Most of those Forest Finns were shipped to America, because Swedes wanted to kill them. They were outlaws, free to kill if met, among gypsies.
    I have read that they (the Forrest Finns) were threatened to have their property burned if they didn't learn Swedish.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-13-2024 @ 06:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Country
    Finland
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H39
    Politics
    Ugly history as it is. Don't blame me.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,437
    Given: 1,436

0 Not allowed!

Yeah. We have to invent something new, because have already lost akankanto and also lost the air guitar World Championship

Banned
    Last Online
    03-06-2022 @ 05:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    NBK
    Ethnicity
    Black Finn
    Country
    Finland
    Region
    Texas
    Taxonomy
    Kylälahtic/Australoid, NEOMORPH
    Politics
    Santeri Alkio
    Hero
    Action Jackson
    Religion
    Steel Eight
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,608
    Given: 1,825

1 Not allowed!

This sucks. Over 30000 Finns escaped to Sweden after the Great Northern War and never came back. I am ashamed of the way how little Finns know their own history. How dare you?

Most of those Forest Finns were shipped to America, because Swedes wanted to kill them. They were outlaws, free to kill if met, among gypsies.
    And they remained gypsies in America also:
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...63-Black-Finns

On New Shores includes a chapter called “The Finns of Embarrass, Minnesota,” and the writer strives from the outset to expose scandal while visiting the fiercely Finnish community in northeastern Minnesota, fueled by the prejudices of his local guide.

In Embarrass — and in the Finnish communities through which Bercovici traveled by auto from Duluth — the starkest symbol of this resistance was clear to him in the arrangement of the farmstead: “[A]lways there was one little building too many. Generally, it was a square, squat log house, which seemed to be half in the ground, with a wide door and a blind window.” The writer fails to find any sin beyond a certain standoffishness in the Finns he talks to, but he freely quotes the guide, a man named Hall, for a more sinister view of these people of the marsh edges: “[T]he Christian Finns are all right… like the Norwegians, Swedes, and Danes we have in this State…. But the black Finns of Embarrass are not Christians at all. They believe in witchcraft. Every family has its own witch-house close by its living-quarters. And as often as a good Christian says his prayers, these black Finns visit their little witch-houses. It is a funny sight to see the whole family, each one wrapped in a large white sheet, going to this little house to pray to some deity. Now these black Finns, too, are good workers, but we know enough about them to keep away from them.”

Bercovici confirms that this was not a singular impression, stating that other locals were convinced that the sauna was a place for strange and exotic worship. Wandering north from St. Paul, he had first visited the Danish community of Askov, Minnesota, and praised the disciplined order of the community’s Scandinavian immigrants, who were eager to assimilate, perfecting their English faster than any other nationality. But he paints a stark contrast in Finnish Embarrass, where no two Finns and no two houses are alike.

Bercovici predicted that it would take at least two generations for Finns to shake the sauna habit

The caption to this engraving, “The Black Finns,” from On New Shores by Konrad Bercovici (1925), addresses the perception that the Finns were uniquely alien among North American immigrants; their peculiar language, penchant for radical politics, and practice of communal bathing set them apart.

http://www.pbs.org/pov/steamoflife/p...ite-of-cold/8/

Glorious monument of the Black Finns:

The Cokato savusauna, built in 1868, was moved from its original roadside location because non-Finnish neighbors complained about public nudity and demanded its removal. It is now a proud monument to Finnish pioneers at a well-traveled rural corner.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    NBK
    Ethnicity
    Black Finn
    Country
    Finland
    Region
    Texas
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Santeri Alkio
    Hero
    Action Jackson
    Religion
    Steel Eight
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Swede View Post
    Hopefully not (like this).

]

Harkonnen is just telling jokes here (his humor). If east Finns could really be better in something ... then wrestiling and weightlifting. No matter what, Ostrobothia will rule the first one.

Finnish baseball (annual East - West games)?
    Winners?
    Men: 38 - 36 (10 games have ended ''level'')
    Women: 35 - 39 (3 games have ended ''level'')

Hardly in handball )

For Harkonnen & Lemminkäinen: I'm reading about Erik Heinrichs now (his biography). A great ''Finn''?
    East Finns are superior in almost every statistically measurable human endeavour (+art). I'm not joking here at all. Since you brought up war, here are statistical facts:

https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...military-facts

Almost all of the notorious Finnish ww2 hotshots were Karelian: Törni, White Death, Terror of Morocco and his brother. Luukkanen, Pylkäs, Aaro Pajari. The list goes on...

I did some fact checking and indeed it is so that Karelians top the list of decorated military personel.

Mannerheim Cross recipients by origin:

1 Karelians, 49

2 Ostrobothnians, 34

3 Savonians, 30

And here is the list of top Fighter Aces:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_from_Finland

Of the top 10 Finnish fighter aces (with most victories),

4 were Karelian (2 in top 3)

3 were from Helsinki

1 was from Rauma (Satakunta, West coast)

1 from Iitti, Ostrobothnia

1 Finland-Swede from Ekenäs

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    NBK
    Ethnicity
    Black Finn
    Country
    Finland
    Region
    Texas
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Santeri Alkio
    Hero
    Action Jackson
    Religion
    Steel Eight
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I suspect most of those Ostrobitchian Cross recipients are actually North Central Ostrobotnians, who, as is well known are actually East Finns.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Sweden
    Region
    Finnmark
    Politics
    None
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Harkonnen View Post
    I suspect most of those Ostrobitchian Cross recipients are actually North Central Ostrobotnians, who, as is well known are actually East Finns.
    Northern Ostrobothnians are Southwest Finns while Southern Ostrobothnians are the easternmost Tavastians with Savo mixture.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-17-2021 @ 07:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Country
    Finland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,840
    Given: 2,076

0 Not allowed!

I wish I was an Eastern Finn, because they're Finns proper. I think I'm 1/4 Eastern Finnish, even though I'm not even sure if 2 of my grandparents were Western Finnish or Eastern Finnish.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Sweden
    Region
    Finnmark
    Politics
    None
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Harkonnen View Post
    And they remained gypsies in America also:
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...63-Black-Finns

On New Shores includes a chapter called “The Finns of Embarrass, Minnesota,” and the writer strives from the outset to expose scandal while visiting the fiercely Finnish community in northeastern Minnesota, fueled by the prejudices of his local guide.

In Embarrass — and in the Finnish communities through which Bercovici traveled by auto from Duluth — the starkest symbol of this resistance was clear to him in the arrangement of the farmstead: “[A]lways there was one little building too many. Generally, it was a square, squat log house, which seemed to be half in the ground, with a wide door and a blind window.” The writer fails to find any sin beyond a certain standoffishness in the Finns he talks to, but he freely quotes the guide, a man named Hall, for a more sinister view of these people of the marsh edges: “[T]he Christian Finns are all right… like the Norwegians, Swedes, and Danes we have in this State…. But the black Finns of Embarrass are not Christians at all. They believe in witchcraft. Every family has its own witch-house close by its living-quarters. And as often as a good Christian says his prayers, these black Finns visit their little witch-houses. It is a funny sight to see the whole family, each one wrapped in a large white sheet, going to this little house to pray to some deity. Now these black Finns, too, are good workers, but we know enough about them to keep away from them.”

Bercovici confirms that this was not a singular impression, stating that other locals were convinced that the sauna was a place for strange and exotic worship. Wandering north from St. Paul, he had first visited the Danish community of Askov, Minnesota, and praised the disciplined order of the community’s Scandinavian immigrants, who were eager to assimilate, perfecting their English faster than any other nationality. But he paints a stark contrast in Finnish Embarrass, where no two Finns and no two houses are alike.

Bercovici predicted that it would take at least two generations for Finns to shake the sauna habit

The caption to this engraving, “The Black Finns,” from On New Shores by Konrad Bercovici (1925), addresses the perception that the Finns were uniquely alien among North American immigrants; their peculiar language, penchant for radical politics, and practice of communal bathing set them apart.

http://www.pbs.org/pov/steamoflife/p...ite-of-cold/8/

Glorious monument of the Black Finns:

The Cokato savusauna, built in 1868, was moved from its original roadside location because non-Finnish neighbors complained about public nudity and demanded its removal. It is now a proud monument to Finnish pioneers at a well-traveled rural corner.
    According to Coon, many of the Swedish immigrants who came to the US were attacked with "square-head", possibly due to having come from regions with many Borreby/Baltid/Faelid types.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread Information