Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Eye and hair colour studies of Bulgarians from various parts of the country by Metodi Popov

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:33 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Eurasian
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    CM
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,367
    Given: 2,143

4 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić View Post
    Don't be ridiculous and trying to say you are similary pigmented as us. It is similar if I would say Croats have same amount of light eyes as Czechs. Nope.
    This dude completely darkwashed Croats, no way in hell we have 38% of light eyes, that is low as fuck.

I never seen Croat group with less than 50% light eyes. So Bulgarians may be close to 38%, but we are for sure lot more than that.
    Bulgarians are also greatly swarthified on these boards, but you see only a few give a fuck. Most don't care if they are seen as Slavic, light or European. I think that Northern Croats and Slovenes if from the region are visible lighter than us.
    Serbs have similar pigmentation. I think people from Hercegovina and Dalmatia are similarly to us.
    Compare the youth academy of Hajduk Split and Levski Sofia
    https://hajduk.hr/klub/hajduk-II
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...re-do-they-fit

Banned
    Last Online
    01-17-2020 @ 06:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    Melania's boy toy
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Zagreb
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,396
    Given: 6,059

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by pelikarski View Post
    Bulgarians are also greatly swarthified on these boards, but you see only a few give a fuck. Most don't care if they are seen as Slavic, light or European. I think that Northern Croats and Slovenes if from the region are visible lighter than us.
    Serbs have similar pigmentation. I think people from Hercegovina and Dalmatia are similarly to us.
    Compare the youth academy of Hajduk Split and Levski Sofia
    https://hajduk.hr/klub/hajduk-II
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...re-do-they-fit
    I agree man, southern Croats are very similar to Bulgarians.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Macedonian
    Country
    Macedonia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,998
    Given: 1,604

2 Not allowed!

That's why I prefer to read modern papers than anything which is communist related...
    Respect to Dr. Popov but he lived in a time and place that wasn't very nice for such studies.
    Basically the same mentality as it was in Yugoslavia, we are Slavs and nothing but a Slavs, brotherhood and unity bullshit.
    We are closer to Poles, Slovaks and Czechs than we are to our neighbors Greeks, yeah right...
    My ass...

I would like to see a modern study which is not affected by any prejudices and politics though!

Last Online
    03-02-2021 @ 10:24 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Thracian/Scythian/Gothic
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    Dalofaelid with Corded Nordid influences
    Politics
    Fuck agendas
    Hero
    None.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,666
    Given: 13,081

2 Not allowed!

Don't be ridiculous and trying to say you are similary pigmented as us. It is similar if I would say Croats have same amount of light eyes as Czechs. Nope.
    This dude completely darkwashed Croats, no way in hell we have 38% of light eyes, that is low as fuck.

I never seen Croat group with less than 50% light eyes. So Bulgarians may be close to 38%, but we are for sure lot more than that.
    Supercomputer portrayed many ethnicities as darker than they are (not only Bulgarians but also French, Ukrainians, Slovenes from what I've seen, possibly Croats, too).
    I agree Croatian people are as a group lighter than us, Bulgarians, but I don't think difference is drastic as some say.
    Bulgarians are greatly darkwashed by some people on the net.
    Croats I see as very similar to Hungarians who according to dr. Popov have 56% of pure light eyes. Croatia is probably close to that.
    However, Bulgarians are about 10% darker in terms of eye colour and definitely not 20-25% as some people (of course, I don't mean you; you are a reasonable guy) portray us to be.
    After not shaving for a while:

Banned
    Last Online
    05-15-2019 @ 07:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 36

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by The Blade View Post
    I post these surveys of respectable Bulgarian biologist, anthropologist and diplomat Metodi Popov which deal with eye and hair colour in my country.
    But first several words for the author of these studies:
    - Born in Shumen in 1881, dr. Metodi Popov is the brother of Bulgarian mathematician academic Kiril Popov. He graduated Natural science in Sofia (1904), then specializing Biology in Munich, Berlin and Paris. After his return he was a lecturer at Sofia University "Saint Kliment Ohridski", being also its rector between 1920 and 1921. Between 1923 and 1931 he served as Bulgarian ambassador in Germany. He returned to Bulgaria because of disagreeing with the rising Nazi propaganda and theories claiming Nordic superiority over other Europoids. Popov was a Bulgarian Academy of Sciences member and leader of the Institute of Zoology. He died in 1954 (R.I.P.). The Institute of Biodiversity and Ecosystem Research at the above-mentioned Academy of Sciences is named after him, as well as The Mathematics and Physics High School in Varna.
    Metodi Popov

Things you should know when reading the information below:
    1) Metodi Popov and all other Bulgarian authors I know (current and past) never used obscure terms like ''light hair'' you nowadays see on some maps on the net. When talking about blond hair they meant literally blond (ash to dark blond and strawberry blond). Never did they combine light brown and blond shades. Hair colour is often, as in Popov case, based on the Fischer-Saller scale (A-O). Our authors include nuances from ash/very light blond to dark blond and strawberry blond. Nothing more, nothing less.
    2) The larger cities presented in what I for the purpose of this thread will call Group A all contain data based on more than 7000 men (and 7000 women) for each of them. The smaller cities I'll place in Group B are all based on samples of between 1000-1500 men (and respectively the same numbers for ladies).
    3) Only adults are counted. People of age 20+, often above 30 years old.
    4) In all cases, except where specified, percentages deal with ethnic Bulgarians only (no minorities included).
    5) Eyes counted as light in Popov's study are dubbed as ''blue'' and ''green". They are based on the Martin scale. Other (especially more recent) surveys place gray as a separate category which is, in my opinion, a more precise and better approach. However, here we assume that some (though not necessarily all) gray eyes were counted as blue or green. This blue/green total number, of course, DOES NOT include intermediate eye colour (a.k.a. hazel) and probably not all light-mixed eyes were included in the blue/green division, too. Thus, you should mind the remainder of eye colours other than blue and green includes brown but also hazel and most likely some even mixes of blue/green/grayish.
    6) Scheme shall be read in male/female order. Gentlemen are first here (even if this isn't a gentleman deed ).
    16/21 blondism means 16% of the men and 21% of the women have blond hair.
    So, here's the data:
    Group A - male/female - blond hair distribution:
    Ruse - 12/14
    Stara Zagora - 12/17
    Burgas - 13/13
    Vraca - 14/20
    Pleven - 14/17
    Varna - 14/15
    Blagoevgrad - 17/17
    Sofia - 18/18
    Plovdiv - 20/13
    As you can see, Ruse and Burgas are the least blond-haired of Bulgaria's largest cities. An interesting fact is that only in some cities are women blonder than men - we have a parity in this aspect in Burgas, Blagoevgrad and Sofia, and in the city of Plovdiv males show a higher degree of blondism than ladies.
    Group B - male/female - blond hair distribution:
    Razlog - 23/18
    Chepinci - 18/21
    Asenovgrad - 39/26 (highest degree of blondism out of all places studied, men are clearly blonder in this city but women are also blondest)
    Smolyan - 23/19
    These cities, while smaller than those in previous group, aren't that small. Asenovgrad in particular has never been a small city in the true sense.
    Blue and green eyes combined - male/female:
    Sofia - 45/34
    Pleven - 44/33
    Blagoevgrad - 43/35
    Vraca - 42/37
    Stara Zagora - 42/37
    Varna - 40/32
    Plovdiv - 40/36
    Burgas - 39/27
    Ruse - 35/41
    Bessarabian Bulgarians from Romania, Moldova and Ukraine - 44/35
    Bulgarians from the Dobrudja region - 65/65 (The lightest-eyed region of the country achieving this percentage without hazel eyes being counted.)
    Average percentage of blue and green eyes combined for other Bulgarian areas (excluding Dobrudja) - male/female:
    - 42/35
    Dobrudja is the area located north from Varna and eastwards Ruse:

Metodi Popov's studies are pretty comparable with other results we get for hair/eye colour distribution in the country.
    "Според статистика от 20 век, българите са между 9-12% от рус тип, 42–47% от тъмен тип, а 43–46% са междинен (светлокоси и тъмнооки или обратното)."
    "Генетично, днешните българи са по-тясно свързани със някои балкански популации (македонци, сърби, румънци, черногорци), отколкото с останалите европейци. Според автозомни анализи, съседните гърци имат по-голяма генетическа дистанция спрямо българите, отколкото народи като чехи и словаци, а съседните турци още по-голяма. Според различни митохондриални анализи българите са най-сходни с поляци, чехи или унгарци."
    First quote means the following:
    "According to statistics from the 20th century (depending on the region) between 9-12% of Bulgarians are blond with light eyes, 42-47% are brunette with brown or hazel eyes and 43-46% are of transitional type (brunette with light eyes or blond with brown to hazel eyes)."
    This corresponds to other analysis of the population stating that about half of Bulgarian people have light eyes and blondism accounts to roughly 20% of the total population. Pure brown eyes (excluding hazel) probably account to 35-40% of the population depending on the area in question.
    Second quote translation:
    "Genetically modern Bulgarians are most closely related to other Balkan groups (Macedonians, Serbs, Romanians, Montenegrins) and after that to other Europeans. Autosomal analyses show that neighbouring Greeks are more distant to Bulgarians than nations like Czechs and Slovaks are, and Turks are even more distant to Bulgarians than Greeks are. Mitochondrial analyses show that Bulgarians are closest to Polish people, Czechs and Hungarians."
    Last thing I want to share is the information about red/reddish brown/reddish blond hair (basically, rufosity frequency) in my state. It varies from 1 to 4% of the population depending on the area. Most score between 2-3%. It's most common in the provinces of Razgrad and Targovishte. Among Pomaks it reaches 4,1%.
    Without a doubt the most well known pigmentation survey of Bulgarians (at least in the West) was carried out by Bulgarian physician Dr. Stephen Wateff in 1896. In that year he observed 236,884 schoolchildren and 31,469 soldiers.

At least 1000 schoolchildren were observed in each district.

The whole survey was modeled after Virchow, with the same standards and classification into pure blonds (blond hair, light eyes) and pure brunets (brown or black hair, brown eyes).
    Green eyes and red hair are included but counted separately. Like with Virchow these traits would be held to particularity rigorous standards.

An overview of his work was published in a German publication as "Anthropologische Beobachtung an den Schuelern und Soldaten Bulgaren". Its on Goggle Books here: https://books.google.com/books?id=DM...lgaren&f=false

Here are his results:

Eye color:
    Blue eyes: 17.65%
    Gray eyes: 22.59%
    Brown eyes: 59.76%
    -
    Green eyes (pure green only): 0.67%

Hair color:
    Blond hair: 29.86%
    Brown hair: 58.67%
    Black hair: 11.97%
    -
    Red hair (brandrote or "flaming red"): 0.08%

Skin color:
    White skin: 64.74%
    Brown skin: 35.26%

To compare to Schimmer's survey of Cisleithania Austria-Hungary (also based on Virchow), Bulgarians have approximately the same frequency of white skin as the Austrian Littoral (including Istria, Görz und Gradisca, and Triest und ihr Gebiet), darker hair than all provinces (even less blond hair than Dalmatia by a few percent) but roughly equal to the Jewish schoolchildren in frequency of blond hair, and a frequency of light eyes lower than all the provinces and about 15% lower than the Jewish schoolchildren.

https://books.google.com/books?id=08...=augen&f=false

Banned
    Last Online
    05-15-2019 @ 07:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 36

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Supercomputer View Post
    Nothing butthurt about it. We just have a different definition of light eyes. Wiazemsky found 70% of Bulgarians dark eyed. ToeKneeHwin found 27% lights. Dyachenko found only ~13% blue and gray eyes in Bulgaria proper (slightly more with Bulgarians from USSR) He also found Bulgarian average eye color slightly darker than Serbian (1,01 vs 0,98). I counted Bulgarian parliament (excluding Muslim names who were btw lighter than Cristian ones) and found only 24-27% light eyes - 3% were undecided. That is a total of four studies showing the same thing (two of them scientific). Croatia is 38% light eyed (blue/gray and green) and Croats plot MUCH more NorthWestern than Bulgarians. It is likely that Bulgarians have a lot of dark green eyes - they also have less pure dark eyes according to Dyachenko - or maybe there is a different definition of hazel. You haven't provided the original study plus you have an incentive to present Bulgarians as light as possible. I on the other hand don't give a shit, just seeking the objective truth when comparing with other countries. Show the full study as well as numbers for all other colors (blue and gray)
    Wateff found that Turks and Pomaks in Bulgaria had slightly lighter hair and eyes than Orthodox ethnic Bulgarians.

https://books.google.com/books?id=OO...omaken&f=false

Blond type (light eyes and blond hair):
    Orthodox Bulgarians: 9.65%
    Pomaks: 12.38%
    Turks in Bulgaria: 12.56%

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Thracian/Scythian/Gothic
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Fuck agendas
    Hero
    None.
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bodent View Post
    Wateff found that Turks and Pomaks in Bulgaria had slightly lighter hair and eyes than Orthodox ethnic Bulgarians.

https://books.google.com/books?id=OO...omaken&f=false

Blond type (light eyes and blond hair):
    Orthodox Bulgarians: 9.65%
    Pomaks: 12.38%
    Turks in Bulgaria: 12.56%
    I agree that Pomaks are lighter than Bulgarian average. It's also good you specify this data is for the combination of blond hair and light eyes (confirms other studies on this matter I mentioned on previous page). Many Bulgarians have blond hair and brown or hazel eyes though.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-17-2020 @ 06:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    Melania's boy toy
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Zagreb
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,396
    Given: 6,059

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by The Blade View Post
    Supercomputer portrayed many ethnicities as darker than they are (not only Bulgarians but also French, Ukrainians, Slovenes from what I've seen, possibly Croats, too).
    I agree Croatian people are as a group lighter than us, Bulgarians, but I don't think difference is drastic as some say.
    Bulgarians are greatly darkwashed by some people on the net.
    Croats I see as very similar to Hungarians who according to dr. Popov have 56% of pure light eyes. Croatia is probably close to that.
    However, Bulgarians are about 10% darker in terms of eye colour and definitely not 20-25% as some people (of course, I don't mean you; you are a reasonable guy) portray us to be.
    Well said mate.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Thracian/Scythian/Gothic
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Fuck agendas
    Hero
    None.
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bodent View Post
    Without a doubt the most well known pigmentation survey of Bulgarians (at least in the West) was carried out by Bulgarian physician Dr. Stephen Wateff in 1896. In that year he observed 236,884 schoolchildren and 31,469 soldiers.

At least 1000 schoolchildren were observed in each district.

The whole survey was modeled after Virchow, with the same standards and classification into pure blonds (blond hair, light eyes) and pure brunets (brown or black hair, brown eyes).
    Green eyes and red hair are included but counted separately. Like with Virchow these traits would be held to particularity rigorous standards.

An overview of his work was published in a German publication as "Anthropologische Beobachtung an den Schuelern und Soldaten Bulgaren". Its on Goggle Books here: https://books.google.com/books?id=DM...lgaren&f=false

Here are his results:

Eye color:
    Blue eyes: 17.65%
    Gray eyes: 22.59%
    Brown eyes: 59.76%
    -
    Green eyes (pure green only): 0.67%

Hair color:
    Blond hair: 29.86%
    Brown hair: 58.67%
    Black hair: 11.97%
    -
    Red hair (brandrote or "flaming red"): 0.08%

Skin color:
    White skin: 64.74%
    Brown skin: 35.26%

To compare to Schimmer's survey of Cisleithania Austria-Hungary (also based on Virchow), Bulgarians have approximately the same frequency of white skin as the Austrian Littoral (including Istria, Görz und Gradisca, and Triest und ihr Gebiet), darker hair than all provinces (even less blond hair than Dalmatia by a few percent) but roughly equal to the Jewish schoolchildren in frequency of blond hair, and a frequency of light eyes lower than all the provinces and about 15% lower than the Jewish schoolchildren.

https://books.google.com/books?id=08...=augen&f=false
    Well, said this way, I agree for the most part. Obviously part of what is considered brown is hazel based on other studies and definitely there are light-mixed (blue/gray, gray/green, blue/green) eyes included as simply blue or gray. Pure green eyes (not combined with blue, gray or brown) are rare throughout the world, anyway.
    Based on the Fitzpatrick scale most Bulgarians in my observation belong to skin types II and I, some being type III.
    How comparable are the terms ''white skin'' and ''brown skin'' in this study to the Fitzpatrick scale?
    Blond hair percentage is slightly higher than usual but since children were also included this can explain the results. I already posted studies related to adults only.
    Thanks for your contribution!

. . .
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenized barbarian
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    direct democracy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,445
    Given: 31,618

1 Not allowed!

I didn't visit any of the two places so I'll leave here a statistic, don't know if it's very relevant, because of the extremely small group (18 people each), but still, it shows Croatia at around 40% light eyes, Bulgaria at around 20% and Romania around 30%. overall Romania and Bulgaria quite similar, as expected.

light and mixed together (hazel not included since it's light brown):
    56% Croatia
    34% Bulgaria
    34% Romania

Croatia national football team at the World Cup last year (Panini album players):

44% brown (incl. hazel): 8
    39% light (blue and green): 7
    17% mixed (green/yellow or green/brown): 3

Bulgaria national football team at Euro96 (Panini album players):

66% brown: 12
    17% light: 3
    17% mixed: 3

Romania national football team at at Euro96 (Panini album players):
    66% brown: 12
    28% light: 5
    6% mixed: 1

by this, if relevant for the entire population, it means about 1/2 of Croats have light or light-mixed eyes and 1/3 of Bulgarians and Romanians have light and light-mixed eyes.

such statistics can be very relevant, just think of England, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Germany national teams

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information