I am sure you have noticed how the new search engine on youtube and google behaves.

From a perspective of someone who wants to find content on their own terms, not spoonfed what the common internet peasant demands, to me it is a useless gimmick but I realize the underlying motive behind this move and everything about it.

There have been two forces at work here that are now working together. Two strange bedfellows where one of the two either lost or is currently losing its ability to have any managerial say over the situation whatsoever, resembling the spouse who keeps getting raped in a traditional Chinese arranged marriage.

Consider the key factors here:

1)
In the post-TV ad world, YouTube realizes everyone uses adblock nowadays so the push to redesign its internal features was most crucial. They found a way to integrate IP- and cookies-targeted ads in the search engine itself, pushing "YouTube Partners" content to the top to maximize clickbux, and the beloved right side bar itself ("Up Next" and "Suggested/Recommended" vids).

YouTube has not entirely accomplished this step entirely. Currently you see a mixed-mode website where low view vids have the old setting while high view vids already present the symptoms of the new Thomas the Ad Engine running amok.

2)
Copyright.

I can just picture that SONY and the big corporate honchos and their savage pack of brutal lawyer hounds were never pleased with how YouTube ran its shit never really doing anything beside, in a pirate metaphor, slapping the label "property of the owner" on its 'stolen booty' cargo box and calling it a day. Even paying a measly penny at the Queen's harbor's patrol gate (VEVO) proved to be a huge steaming pile of failure every corporation eventually distanced itself from.

According to wikipedia there was something called napster which was originally a P2P file exchanging app for music that copyright owners gangbuttraped into being reorganized as another ad-heavy itunes normie e-shop (i.e. a failure) no one has ever heard of. To see where YouTube is heading, napster evolution (pic related) provides an opportunity to study YouTube's ultimate fate.

The reason why you never hear about all this lies in corporatespeak half-explanations and excuses YouTube uses to obfuscate its true intentions. It hides behind "algorithm :) yay!" that serves to ""better" "serve" you the "content" that "you" "want" :)," giving you the impression of you getting a great deal out of this (or that, perhaps, there was something wrong with the old engine itself) even if you ignore the discrepancy that YouTube appears as if not knowing what it is doing to its users except they know DAMN motherfucking well what they do but their lips are sealed shut because it is no doubt a NDA secret.

The increasing aggressive stance AdTube assumes (go to your ad blocker filter list right now and put "revcontent.com" (without the quotation marks) on permanent block) is tied to Alphabet Inc/YouTube/etc themselves being aggressively slammed against the wall by copyright owners and ultimately bullied into accepting shitsandwich of a compromise deal where the only thing preventing youTube from being DMCA slam-shut this instant is the big corporate sharks moving in for the kill now. That kill is you. Your data. Your area. Your e-identity. And you will like it, you do, in order to keep seeing all the wonderful content on YouTube for """"""""""""""""FREE™"""""""""""""""".

So in a way, one has entered into an emotionally abusive relationship with another and the abused partner entered into a micro abusive relationship with the visitor to "abuse" now, explaining all the recent changes with the YouTube, Google, mainstream internet as a whole.

Enjoy YouTube while you can because as of now it is a decomposing carcass that once picked clean will be carelessly thrown in the trash can of irrelevant app history. As always, there will be the next thing, the next YouTube, that much is sure.