Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do Kurds often get some Irish on DNA tests?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    Persian-Azeri
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Iran
    Taxonomy
    Iranid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,723
    Given: 5,103

0 Not allowed!

Probably an error. Having 15% steppe admixture isnt going to show up on autosomal dna results.

Last Online
    10-07-2023 @ 02:12 PM
    Ethnicity
    Eastern Europe
    Country
    Finland
    Region
    Gibraltar
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    C4a
    Hero
    Jesus, James Clerk Maxwell, Plato, Isaac Newton, Nikola Tesla, Arvo Pärt, Gennady Golovkin
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,286
    Given: 1,535

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Babak View Post
    Probably an error. Having 15% steppe admixture isnt going to show up on autosomal dna results.
    So many Kurds and Dagestani are getting British and Irish.
    Last edited by Methuselah; 05-24-2019 at 08:07 PM.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,540
    Given: 28,978

2 Not allowed!

It's because dna tests aren't completely accurate especially with trace amounts. On My Heritage I have 2.8% Ashkenazi Jewish and on FTDNA I still have 2% Native American. On Livingdna I have 1.2% Pashtun and 1.4% Chechnya. People take dna tests too literally and on upgrades these trace amounts can disappear completely or change to something else. If anyone takes a few dna tests with different companies they would know that these trace amounts are not reliable.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    me
    Country
    European Union
    Y-DNA
    R1a > YP1337 > R-BY160486*
    mtDNA
    H3*
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,243
    Given: 2,623

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by shlömö View Post
    Discuss please.
    I don't believe it is popular Post some results, best with kits...

Human Resources Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-21-2024 @ 10:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Euromutt
    Ethnicity
    White
    Country
    European Union
    Taxonomy
    WHG
    Politics
    Right (as in correct)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,473
    Given: 10,006

0 Not allowed!

Yes It is odd because a lot of people around the Cacusus and Turkey get 1-2% British/Irish, I have never seen any get Scandinavian or French and German. Irish/Brits have the highest steppe in europe that is off R1b origin AFAIK (Nordics are partly R1a steppe people). Perhaps there is something too these maps after all: (But I know nothing about genetics so IDK).

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,019
    Given: 6,618

3 Not allowed!

Steppe connection, same reason my father gets Pashtun
    Spoiler!

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellbeaking View Post
    Yes It is odd because a lot of people around the Cacusus and Turkey get 1-2% British/Irish, I have never seen any get Scandinavian or French and German. Irish/Brits have the highest steppe in europe that is off R1b origin AFAIK (Nordics are partly R1a steppe people). Perhaps there is something too these maps after all: (But I know nothing about genetics so IDK).

They do. Even in that video posted he got trace Scandinavian and in his other result he got trace Finnish. People can get literally anything in their ancestry breakdowns especially with trace regions. It also happens the other way around with Europeans getting trace Caucacus, North African and all sorts of unusual results. It's the fault of the algorithms and also what they compare your dna against and what panels they use for a category. As an example places like Turkey don't even have a specific category and even if they did it is such a genetically mixed region they would need to break the country up into a lot of genetic areas for people to have a chance of matching their panels. It you look at Lebanese and Armenian results they get large amounts of Italian/Greek in their results because they put these populations into a very large category of West Asian and North African so how is a Turk and a Moroccan going to match that panel? They will both end up with a very different Ancestry Composition and won't match that large category so the algorithm will give them matches all over the place. Algerians for example get a large amount of Iberian for the same reason. Populations will have crossover but depending on what they are naming a category some populations will get false results.

Just looking at Irish results (because I know that quite well) most dna tests are skewed to Irish people. Even the British & Irish category on 23andMe is heavily skewed to Irish because basically what British & Irish is on 23andMe is an Irish panel so an Irish person tested will end up with almost a 100% match but because they don't have a proper category for an English or Dutch person they people will get some British & Irish but they won't match that category as well as an Irish person so they will get an Ancestry Comp that is broken down into some British & Irish, French & German, Scandinavian, Iberian etc because they aren't matched against a category that only has Dutch or English. I'm not really sure if any dna company can match any small area really well. Living DNA is trying to do this but because they are heavily skewed to British testers and don't have enough samples from other parts of Europe nearly everyone ends up with British results including Irish. Irish on that test end up with majority results from British areas because they have a lack of Irish samples. I hope people understand how these things work.

It would be interesting to hear Lukasz's take on this?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,901
    Given: 18,310

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    They do. Even in that video posted he got trace Scandinavian and in his other result he got trace Finnish. People can get literally anything in their ancestry breakdowns especially with trace regions. It also happens the other way around with Europeans getting trace Caucacus, North African and all sorts of unusual results. It's the fault of the algorithms and also what they compare your dna against and what panels they use for a category. As an example places like Turkey don't even have a specific category and even if they did it is such a genetically mixed region they would need to break the country up into a lot of genetic areas for people to have a chance of matching their panels. It you look at Lebanese and Armenian results they get large amounts of Italian/Greek in their results because they put these populations into a very large category of West Asian and North African so how is a Turk and a Moroccan going to match that panel? They will both end up with a very different Ancestry Composition and won't match that large category so the algorithm will give them matches all over the place. Algerians for example get a large amount of Iberian for the same reason. Populations will have crossover but depending on what they are naming a category some populations will get false results.

Just looking at Irish results (because I know that quite well) most dna tests are skewed to Irish people. Even the British & Irish category on 23andMe is heavily skewed to Irish because basically what British & Irish is on 23andMe is an Irish panel so an Irish person tested will end up with almost a 100% match but because they don't have a proper category for an English or Dutch person they people will get some British & Irish but they won't match that category as well as an Irish person so they will get an Ancestry Comp that is broken down into some British & Irish, French & German, Scandinavian, Iberian etc because they aren't matched against a category that only has Dutch or English. I'm not really sure if any dna company can match any small area really well. Living DNA is trying to do this but because they are heavily skewed to British testers and don't have enough samples from other parts of Europe nearly everyone ends up with British results including Irish. Irish on that test end up with majority results from British areas because they have a lack of Irish samples. I hope people understand how these things work.

It would be interesting to hear Lukasz's take on this?
    I think one issue is that every Irish-American and their mother takes a DNA test which contributes to the skewing of results. I'm not sure why this is. This is especially true for Ancestry.com.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daco Celtic View Post
    I think one issue is that every Irish-American and their mother takes a DNA test which contributes to the skewing of results. I'm not sure why this is. This is especially true for Ancestry.com.
    It's not really a problem with people taking tests it is just that dna companies have lobsided categories and also not enough regions. I know that on 23andMe the British & Irish category is heavily represented by Irish people. Britain has a population that is 12 times larger than Ireland but the British & Irish category that 23&Me uses has a much larger amount of Irish/Irish-Americans than British so this has the effect of Irish people matching that category and a Southeast English person only getting approx 40% British&Irish. Ancestry at least has split their category so that you have an Ireland & Scotland panel and an England, Wales and Northwestern Europe panel. The Ireland & Scotland category is only matching a small area and a very specific population so Irish will get 100% on that but the England, Wales and Northwestern Europe panel is too varied and is too large an area so it would be highly unlikely for someone to match that category 100%.

I also find it odd how people think because they have some Irish that is picking up some ancient Celtic ancestry or if they get Scandinavian it is showing Viking blood. It isn't. DNA companies are using modern populations for their panels. If you get some of these breakdowns in your ancestry composition it is because the algorithm will pick some category to compensate if your dna doesn't match a panel 100%. If for example they didn't have an Irish panel then your dna would have to be matched against the next closest panel and if you don't match that 100% the algorithm would match against another panel etc so Irish people would end up with a varied AC and not get 100%. This is how tests work.

When they did the People of the British Isles dna study when they wanted to look at deep ancestry for British people they removed Irish and British samples and just tested against European samples which gave them their admixture breakdown. So it all depends on what they call their panels and what your dna is being compared against.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,901
    Given: 18,310

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    It's not really a problem with people taking tests it is just that dna companies have lobsided categories and also not enough regions. I know that on 23andMe the British & Irish category is heavily represented by Irish people. Britain has a population that is 12 times larger than Ireland but the British & Irish category that 23&Me uses has a much larger amount of Irish/Irish-Americans than British so this has the effect of Irish people matching that category and a Southeast English person only getting approx 40% British&Irish. Ancestry at least has split their category so that you have an Ireland & Scotland panel and an England, Wales and Northwestern Europe panel. The Ireland & Scotland category is only matching a small area and a very specific population so Irish will get 100% on that but the England, Wales and Northwestern Europe panel is too varied and is too large an area so it would be highly unlikely for someone to match that category 100%.

I also find it odd how people think because they have some Irish that is picking up some ancient Celtic ancestry or if they get Scandinavian it is showing Viking blood. It isn't. DNA companies are using modern populations for their panels. If you get some of these breakdowns in your ancestry composition it is because the algorithm will pick some category to compensate if your dna doesn't match a panel 100%. If for example they didn't have an Irish panel then your dna would have to be matched against the next closest panel and if you don't match that 100% the algorithm would match against another panel etc so Irish people would end up with a varied AC and not get 100%. This is how tests work.

When they did the People of the British Isles dna study when they wanted to look at deep ancestry for British people they removed Irish and British samples and just tested against European samples which gave them their admixture breakdown. So it all depends on what they call their panels and what your dna is being compared against.
    I wonder if the lopsided categories and lack regions is merely a reflection of the the samples they receive. I sometimes feel that people from the British Isles do a disproportionate amount of DNA testing compared to say people from Eastern Europe. So a given company can be very specific on Ireland because it has so many samples, but has to be very vague on East Europe due to lack of sample size. I've always interpreted an imbalance in sample size as the fundamental problem with these tests.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information