Page 2 of 100 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Who are the best and worst soldiers of all time?

Professional Racial anthropologist
    Last Online
    01-16-2014 @ 03:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    Atlantean
    Country
    Great Britain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 433
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

The worst always seem to come from Warrior cultures...

Behold my mighty sword dance, forged by the soul and spirit of Herat! *blam*

Last Online
    02-14-2015 @ 01:48 PM
    The true West Europe, Core of the Atlantic Facade.
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtibero, Old Westerner, Atlantic Facade and 100% pure Iberian.
    Ethnicity
    Cantabri, Tierruca.
    Ancestry
    Mother Spain, father Spain ect....Until the first amoeba.
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castilla
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Conquistador 100% Pure Iberian
    Politics
    Spanish Inquisition.
    Religion
    Spanish Inquisition.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,607
    Given: 3,171

0 Not allowed!

These soldiers had no rival with swords in their hands.

or with spears

or with muskets

Or with all at same time

For me, the best soldiers, given their small number and wins, Spanish tercios.

Espada tengo. Lo demás, Dios lo remedie.

In the west almost all Spain had been subjugated, except that part which adjoins the cliffs where the Pyrenees end and is washed by the nearer waters of the ocean. Here two powerful nations, the Cantabrians and the Asturians, lived in freedom from the rule of Rome.")
    — Lucius Anneus Florus , Epitome de T. Livio Bellorum omnium annorum DCC Libri duo Bellum Cantabricum et Asturicum

Ethnicity of the Celts/Iberian. Tribes: Avariginos, Blendi, Concanos, Coniscos, Orgenomescos, Plentusios, Tamáricos and Vadinienses.--->http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...40#post3047240

Last Online
    02-06-2012 @ 07:49 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    British, German
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

0 Not allowed!

Every nation in the world has been at war, at least once. Some people are much better fighters than others. Which nationality do you think produces the best soldiers, and which one produces the worst?
    It's not be politically correct to admit but looking merely at the performance of soldiers in battle one side stands out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ar_II_air_aces
    ^Ridiculous list. And one country dominates it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_from_Germany
    ^Panzer ace list.

One airplane pilot flew 2,530 combat missions claiming a total of 2,000 targets destroyed; including 800 vehicles, 519 tanks, 150 artillery pieces, a destroyer, two cruisers, one Soviet battleship, 70 landing craft, 4 armored trains, several bridges and nine aircraft which he shot down.

It does come down a bit to technical ability compared to your enemy which the Germans held over the Soviets which may bias the results. Probably never again will statistics like these happen in war. The Germans really pulled out ridiculous scores on all fronts in all areas of the second world war (not as much in the west though).

If adjusting for technical ability (a war of two equal sides) I'd say the Confederates fought well against the Union. A defensive war on your own soil always makes the troops so much more fierce and it showed in the unbalanced casualty results of battle.

The worst solders- there's probably too many to list which were all equally terrible.

I don't know other conflicts well enough to make a longer list.
    Last edited by Oreka Bailoak; 06-24-2011 at 02:04 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-23-2012 @ 02:57 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Conservative
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ColourBlind View Post
    Joe, make your own list. And put other nations than America.
    Just the fact that you guys couldn't even beat us in the Revolutionary War knocks you down and raises our stock. Cornwalllis and Clinton were inept and outwitted by Washington in the Yorktown campaign. But in no particular order - Romans. Mongols, Spanish, Prussians, Dutch.

Gone Fishin
    Last Online
    12-23-2013 @ 10:13 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Taxonomy
    Barbarian of the steppes
    Politics
    Shuttupa ur face
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 2

0 Not allowed!

Pound for pound, given the same equipment, Polish soldiers are the best.

Examples from WWII include the Battle of Britain, where the best pilots were Poles. Also North Africa, Italy, Middle East...

I should also mention that many Poles fought on the eastern front, including my grandfather and his four brothers. They were all in Berlin in 1945, and their last battle was near the Berlin Zoo of all places.

My other grandfather fought in western Europe, and was part of General Maczek's unit that oversaw the surrender of the Kriegsmarine.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    02-11-2022 @ 10:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47

0 Not allowed!

Everybody voting for their own

Boooring

Banned
    Last Online
    08-11-2012 @ 01:58 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Saxon, Norman
    Country
    Scotland
    Politics
    Progressive Ethnocentrism
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

That's why I told everyone to make a list, so they can both stroke their ego (which inevitably happens) and add other countries that have capable soldiers. It's interesting to compare these lists.

The Americans are also among the best fighters, if you count aerial power. In that area, not even the Brits are their equal. Still, I wouldn't rank them above the others on my list (given a complete track record).

Banned
    Last Online
    07-23-2012 @ 02:57 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Conservative
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Polako View Post
    Pound for pound, given the same equipment, Polish soldiers are the best.

Examples from WWII include the Battle of Britain, where the best pilots were Poles. Also North Africa, Italy, Middle East...

I should also mention that many Poles fought on the eastern front, including my grandfather and his four brothers. They were all in Berlin in 1945, and their last battle was near the Berlin Zoo of all places.

My other grandfather fought in western Europe, and was part of General Maczek's unit that oversaw the surrender of the Kriegsmarine.
    The lack of equipment and proper planning is also part of good soldiery, as it extends to the top brass. The Polish performance against Germany could have been better. They also performed less than spectacularly against Prussia in earlier eras, and the Prussians were never heavy in the frills of warfare either. I'll add to your laundry list though: Sobieski and allies were outnumbered almost 2-1 by Kara Mustafa Pasha at Vienna and still won.

Banned
    Last Online
    08-11-2012 @ 01:58 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Saxon, Norman
    Country
    Scotland
    Politics
    Progressive Ethnocentrism
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe McCarthy View Post
    I'll add to your laundry list though: Sobieski and allies were outnumbered almost 2-1 by Kara Mustafa Pasha at Vienna and still won.
    I completely forgot about the Turks. As far as I know, the Turks are the only Muslim people in the world who are good fighters. Must have something to do with their Central Asiatic background.

Gone Fishin
    Last Online
    12-23-2013 @ 10:13 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Taxonomy
    Barbarian of the steppes
    Politics
    Shuttupa ur face
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 2

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe McCarthy View Post
    The lack of equipment and proper planning is also part of good soldiery, as it extends to the top brass. The Polish performance against Germany could have been better. They also performed less than spectacularly against Prussia in earlier eras, and the Prussians were never heavy in the frills of warfare either. I'll add to your laundry list though: Sobieski and allies were outnumbered almost 2-1 by Kara Mustafa Pasha at Vienna and still won.
    Poland couldn't modernize its military before WWII because it was seen as a young and "seasonal country" by western investors, who preferred to back Hilter.

But that's no longer a problem, thank god, and Polish military is now going through a major overhaul, which will make it the most modern and professional in Central and Central-Eastern Europe.

By the way, I'm not sure what conflicts with Prussia you're talking about? Poland was actually part of the same nation as Saxony for a long time, and there was no conflict with ze Germans since the battle of Grunwald, which we won convincingly.

Indeed, when East Prussia rebelled against the Polish King, it was punished with massive Polish Tatar raids, and it didn't as much as squeek after that.

If you're talking about the later Prussian occupation of Poland, that was a result of internal Polish problems and didn't really need any outside military intervention to be successful. Ironically, it was caused by the lack of the influence of the Black Death on Polish terrirtory, which saw the continuation of the serfdom of peasants, and a lack of reforms.

Page 2 of 100 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread Information