Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: (Romania) I grew up with an outdoor outhouse instead of an indoor bathroom - what about you?

Last Online
    05-11-2023 @ 12:07 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ukrainian
    Ancestry
    Ukraine, Russia, Poland, Lithuania, Greek, Jewish, Finnish, Germanic, East Asian
    Country
    Greece
    Y-DNA
    R-Y2910
    mtDNA
    U4b
    Hero
    Lao Tzu, Epicurus, Copernicus, Hippocrates, Giordano Bruno, Maria Skłodowska, Nikola Tesla
    Religion
    Epicureanism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,549
    Given: 1,670

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Moje ime View Post
    I'm very surprised with this fact about Romania actually, so I've found statistical data about this.

Here are percents of "Population having neither a bath, nor a shower, nor indoor flushing toilet in their household, by country, 2010 and 2015.png"
    this include Serbia and other ex Yugoslav countries.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statis....png#filelinks

In Serbia and other ex Yugoslav countries this percent is around 3% that is much smaller than eg. Romania 30% and even Bulgaria, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia around 15-20%.

Most of countryside households in Serbia still have these outside toilets or at least a place where it used to be but they are not in use anymore because it is usual that houses have indoor toilet/bathroom.
    Most of houses in Serbia and ex Yugoslavia built indoor toilets and bathrooms in 1970s and 1980s so today probably only old people who still live in rural places and in not really good conditions don't have it.

Obviously during communist times Yugoslavia had much better conditions compared with eg. Romania and Bulgaria and this advantage is from those times.
    World Statistics. Russia 27.8%, Ukraine 4.1%, Greece 1% (% of population without access to sanitation)

https://washmatters.wateraid.org/sit...ds_toilets.pdf

Worst of the best: toilet problems in developed countries

Most people defecating in the open, per square km

World access to sanitation, highest to lowest

Last Online
    Today @ 09:30 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Politics
    Independent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,178
    Given: 3,224

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nurzat View Post
    I don't think any of us has dismissed the fact that outdoor toilets are still present in Romania and we don't think of ourselves as living in a Scandinavian-like country, like you wrote somewhere else.

We are well aware that improvements are needed in Romania, no shame in admitting that, and if many of us were so uneducated, dumb and backwards as you said, we wouldn't be fighting against corruption and we wouldn't be fighting for a better Romania. Romanian users didn't get pissed just because you mentioned outdoor toilets, they got pissed because you said that half of us have no indoor plumbing, have poor hygiene, are drunkards, etc. I would've understood if you "joked" about it two or three times, but you are repeatedly doing this and end up looking troll-ish. You are enforcing stereotypes on us, and I understand well why Romanians are tired of this.

You said that we are living in a bubble, well I can say the same thing about you. You said you don't like traveling abroad, so I wonder how many times have you actually been outside the country. No other European groups are better or worse than Romanians, trust me. But you can continue to believe that we are "unimportant", or you can continue to believe in historical "facts" that you think are so true but are actually not, because they have no supporting evidences, meanwhile we will continue to stand for ourselves and improve our image, we have the right to do so.
    Last edited by Tommie; 06-03-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Last Online
    Today @ 09:30 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Politics
    Independent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,178
    Given: 3,224

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Moje ime View Post
    I'm very surprised with this fact about Romania actually, so I've found statistical data about this.

Here are percents of "Population having neither a bath, nor a shower, nor indoor flushing toilet in their household, by country, 2010 and 2015.png"
    this include Serbia and other ex Yugoslav countries.

In Serbia and other ex Yugoslav countries this percent is around 3% that is much smaller than eg. Romania 30% and even Bulgaria, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia around 15-20%.

Most of countryside households in Serbia still have these outside toilets or at least a place where it used to be but they are not in use anymore because it is usual that houses have indoor toilet/bathroom.
    Most of houses in Serbia and ex Yugoslavia built indoor toilets and bathrooms in 1970s and 1980s so today probably only old people who still live in rural places and in not really good conditions don't have it.

Obviously during communist times Yugoslavia had much better conditions compared with eg. Romania and Bulgaria and this advantage is from those times.
    Imma just copy paste what ixulescu wrote in this thread, explains the situation well:

Quote Originally Posted by ixulescu View Post
    Also getting proper statistics on rural areas in Romania is particularly difficult. People still have to declare residence in Romania even though they have moved decades back abroad, so it's really hard to tell what these statistics are about. Abandoned with boarded windows are super common in villages. Many started building houses in rural areas then abandoned them after deciding not to return. Today (with some exception in Moldova) only old people are living in villages, particularly in the low lands. Getting running water is their least concern, not to mention that many of these old people can't afford it. These villages are dead - throwing money now for building infrastructure is not going to bring people back.

. . .
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:43 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenized barbarian
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    direct democracy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,441
    Given: 31,606

0 Not allowed!

bump - almost half of Romanians still go to toilet to an outhouse in the backyard, how about you? especially for Easterners, I am curious if there's any TA member that still has an outhouse at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemgrant View Post
    World Statistics. Russia 27.8%, Ukraine 4.1%, Greece 1% (% of population without access to sanitation)

wow, it amazes me Ireland scores 10%!! 1 in 10 Irishmen lacks an inside home toilet, just like 3-or-4 in 10 Romanians

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,894
    Given: 18,300

3 Not allowed!

bump - almost half of Romanians still go to toilet to an outhouse in the backyard, how about you? especially for Easterners, I am curious if there's any TA member that still has an outhouse at home.

wow, it amazes me Ireland scores 10%!! 1 in 10 Irishmen lacks an inside home toilet, just like 3-or-4 in 10 Romanians
    Sounds like an outhouse is a good way for me to reconnect with my heritage. I’ll build one in my backyard as a weekend project. My wife might complain but it’s worth it. I’ve been spoiled by indoor toilets for too long.

. . .
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Hellenized barbarian
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    direct democracy
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daco Celtic View Post
    Sounds like an outhouse is a good way for me to reconnect with my heritage. I’ll build one in my backyard as a weekend project. My wife might complain but it’s worth it. I’ve been spoiled by indoor toilets for too long.
    see my OP - it's really nice when the wind blows inside through the cracks

Last Online
    Today @ 08:45 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Ancestry
    Romanian, North Greek, Roma(Rudar), Persian, Caucasian
    Country
    Romania
    Region
    Wallachia
    Y-DNA
    J-Y18824
    mtDNA
    H1c
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,878
    Given: 9,333

1 Not allowed!

In caz ca nu ai hartie, iei niste coceni din curte si te stergi la cur.

. . .
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Hellenized barbarian
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    direct democracy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Impaler View Post
    In caz ca nu ai hartie, iei niste coceni din curte si te stergi la cur.
    I did this when I had to, there's no shame in it. especially when I was at grandparents' in Vaslui county

Last Online
    02-28-2024 @ 02:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Eastern Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Ancestry
    Vlacho-Cuman
    Country
    Romania
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-S17250)
    mtDNA
    T2b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,320
    Given: 7,523

2 Not allowed!

Suna cam periculos coceni si cur in aceeasi fraza dar na...fiecare cu gusturile lui...

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Fiji
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,960
    Given: 12,183

1 Not allowed!

especially for Easterners, I am curious if there's any TA member that still has an outhouse at home.
    It was common in previous generations in rural areas. Both paternal and maternal grandparents of mine have/had these wooden outside toilets (maternal grandparents died many years ago)

I don't know anyone in person from my or my parents' generation who takes dump in an "outhouse" but some gypsies do that (they often live among bad conditions like subsaharan african people ). Maybe some non-gypsies do it too, but among my friends/people I know, nope, people don't have these outhouses.

anyway, I don't see why it's such a horrible, shameful thing. I took a dump a couple of times in the outhouse when I was visiting my grandma, it's not much different experience than pooping inside the house. In winter it probably sucks though and is not very comfortable due to the cold.
    Last edited by Universe; 09-07-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information