Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: (Romania) I grew up with an outdoor outhouse instead of an indoor bathroom - what about you?

Banned
    Last Online
    11-07-2022 @ 08:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Vlach, Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    United States
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,983
    Given: 2,435

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nurzat View Post
    I fail to see the difference in "level of civilization" - while I lived in the city during college those city dwellers were quite filthy, not cleaning after their dogs, so the entire neighbourhood smelled like dog poop in the evening and the working class women were dressing as bad or worse than those in the village. actually coming from a more developed village I found most Romanians in the city less civilized than people in my village.

also, do you count Romania's little towns as "urban"? many look post-apocalyptic, I bet most people would choose to stay in a village than in a random Romanian little town made of concrete ghettoes.

there is no "stark" contrast between rural and urban Romanian if we speak of common people - only that the towns and cities do have a few more wealthy people that look different (clothes) or are more educated. but it's still a minority within the urban dwellers. so your arrogance towards us peasants has no real support in Romania - Romania is a peasant country overall.
    You raise good points, but the final one is wrong. I'm not arrogant towards peasants and you're no peasant, unless you work the field for a living.

When I talk about the contrast in wealth and education when comparing urban and rural populations, I talk about averages. The difference is stark, don't fool yourself.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 12:29 AM
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    W6a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,922
    Given: 18,998

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić View Post
    We call it ''poljski zahod'' (field toilet) but can be translated as ''Polish Toilet'' also

that's because poljski means both field and polish

Those were pretty common in countryside, now more rare but you can find them from time to time.
    In Poland they were known as slawojki after Felicjan Slawoj Skladkowski:

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/sławojka

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feli...ładkowski

"(...) While serving as prime minister, he was appalled by the lack of sanitation in many of Poland's villages, and issued a decree that every household in Poland must have a latrine in working order. This prompted many village-dwellers to erect wooden sheds in their backyards for this purpose, which have been subsequently dubbed slawojkis. (...)"

That was during the Inter-War period.

. . .
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Region
    Moldova
    Y-DNA
    J2a1b3 (J-Z467)
    mtDNA
    H14b
    Politics
    Noam Chomsky
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,374
    Given: 31,470

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ixulescu View Post
    Generally you raise good points, but the final one is wrong. I'm not arrogant towards peasants and you're no peasant, unless you work the field for a living.

When I talk about the contrast in wealth and education when comparing urban and rural populations, I talk about averages. The difference is stark, don't fool yourself.
    some of the most "Romanian" things, like the famous half-naked Romanian barbecue are almost exclusively urban - this doesn't happen in the countryside unless it's people that come from the city/towns for the weekend or on occasion. the manele trend also although it ended up in the countryside, it's been mostly an urban thing. the things educated Romanians hate most about Romanians are the things that urban people do - lower classes from the city/towns, working class/unemployed ones, not the peasants. cocalari, pițipoance, maneliști etc are all urban trends.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Vlach, Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    United States
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

some of the most "Romanian" things, like the famous half-naked Romanian barbecue are almost exclusively urban - this doesn't happen in the countryside unless it's people that come from the city/towns for the weekend or on occasion. the manele trend also although it ended up in the countryside, it's been mostly an urban thing. the things educated Romanians hate most about Romanians are the things that urban people do - lower classes from the city/towns, working class/unemployed ones, not the peasants.

Not all urban Romanians are educated, but still far more than rural Romanians. Let's not debate the obvious.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Vlach, Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    United States
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragan Ciobanu View Post
    Romanian history is being conquered by Alpha-Chad warriors (Turkic, ROman, OStrogoth etc.) minority while 99% of the peasants become docile and submissive.
    Only Romans were acknowledged as superior and proto-Romanians assimilated their culture.
    All those that came afterwards were judged as inferior and Romanians didn't submit to them.

. . .
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Region
    Moldova
    Y-DNA
    J2a1b3 (J-Z467)
    mtDNA
    H14b
    Politics
    Noam Chomsky
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,374
    Given: 31,470

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ixulescu View Post
    Only Romans were acknowledged as superior and proto-Romanians assimilated their culture.
    All those that came afterwards were judged as inferior and Romanians didn't submit to them.
    everybody submits to the laxative effects of history class propaganda - see this very nice outhouse model for wealthy Romanians below

btw I did have an outhouse three years ago when I moved to my house, I used it until I finished the plumbing, for a few months. I am very accustomed to outdoor toilets, I would have kept it but my wife hated it. I plan on building a cute one like this just for me if the others don't want to use it.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Vlach, Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    United States
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

everybody submits to the laxative effects of history class propaganda - see this very nice outhouse model for wealthy Romanians below

btw I did have an outhouse three years ago when I moved to my house, I used it until I finished the plumbing, for a few months. I am very accustomed to outdoor toilets, I would have kept it but my wife hated it. I plan on building a cute one like this just for me if the others don't want to use it.

are you one of those proud not to shit in the house?

Ancient member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European descent
    Ancestry
    Father: Hungarian Mother: German + minor English
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    N1a
    mtDNA
    H1e
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,518
    Given: 24,968

1 Not allowed!

Where I grew up and live here in the Northeast USA suburbia, we all have indoor plumbing. That said, absolutely no shame whatsoever that you grew up that way. I don't look down on that at all. I have had the privilege of using outhouse toilets many times in recreational parks and hiking/camping trips (I've even dug a hole on occasion). You do what you've gotta do- when you've gotta dooo.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 12:29 AM
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    W6a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,922
    Given: 18,998

2 Not allowed!

In some counties in formerly Russian-ruled parts of Eastern Poland over 30% of households still have an outhouse instead of a bathroom. But in other parts of Poland, it is overwhelmingly bathrooms (explains why Viriato never saw an outhouse when he lived in Poland, and only saw it while visiting Estonia):

Percent of households with a bathroom (the ones without bathrooms have outhouses, as you can see in some Eastern Polish counties less than 70% of households have bathrooms and therefore probably over 30% still have outhouses):

Banned
    Last Online
    07-11-2020 @ 03:40 AM
    Ethnicity
    Basarab Laiota
    Country
    Moldova
    Y-DNA
    I2 (Carpathian)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,206
    Given: 1,745