View Poll Results: Elimination of homosexual disorder

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 60.00%
  • No

4 40.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If scientists hypothetically found the 'gay gene', would you support eliminating it?

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,849
    Given: 6,536

0 Not allowed!

Default If scientists hypothetically found the 'gay gene', would you support eliminating it?

???
    Spoiler!

Last Online
    10-20-2023 @ 04:51 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic for the most part
    Ethnicity
    American Northern Euro Mongrel
    Ancestry
    DK, IE, NO
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Nordo-Faelid...apparently
    Religion
    None
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,494
    Given: 1,539

0 Not allowed!

Yup

Banned
    Last Online
    01-06-2021 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,828
    Given: 24,541

0 Not allowed!

Obviously yes.

Puto el que lee Jacques de Imbelloni's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    argentino
    Ethnicity
    rosarino
    Country
    Bhutan
    Region
    Valencia
    Taxonomy
    Homo sapiens sapiens
    Politics
    Pragmatism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,397
    Given: 2,643

0 Not allowed!

Brief reports decline of Down's syndrome after abortion reform in New York State.
    Hansen H.
    Abstract

Incidence rates derived from prospective studies of 120,000 newborns were applied to live births and induced abortions in order to estimate the trend of Down's syndrome in New York State after liberalization of the abortion law in 1970. Women aged 35 years of older, at higher risk of Down's syndrome births, sought terminations of their pregnancies more frequently than did younger women. The estimated number of newborns with Down's syndrome in the state declined 20 percent from 1971 to 1975. In New York City, more pregnancies in the high-risk age range were aborted than were carried to term. These trends indicate that abortion reform may have made a significant contribution to the reduction of severe mental retardation.
    PIP:

The report estimates the impact of the 1970 abortion reform on the occurrance of Down's syndrome in New York State. The New York legislature removed restrictions on induced abortions during the first 2 trimesters of pregnancy. The sources of data were: 1) 2 series of newborns from the WHO Comparative Study of Congenital Malformations, 2) Jerusalem Perinatal study, and 3) 2 series from the U.S. Colaborative Perinatal Project. The maternal age-specific incidence from the 5 data sources were applied to the number of pregnancies in each maternal age group supplied by the New York State and City Departments of Health. In 1968 and 1969 the number of expected cases remained stable (383 and 379, respectively), and following the 1970 abortion reform the expected frequency dropped from 331 cases in 1971 and 293 cases in 1972. The decline in incidence of Down's syndrome was attributable to an increase of induced abortions rather than a decrease of pregnancies, especially in New York City and in the older maternal age groups (35 or older). In the 5 years after abortion reform, the proportion of pregnancies terminated rose during the first 3 years and then stabilized. In the same time period, the estimated number of births with Down's syndrome declined by 20 percent. The decline in Down's syndome in New York State cannot be attributed entirely to the abortion reform, although the abortion reform was effective in reducing the incidence of severe mental retardation.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    argentino
    Ethnicity
    rosarino
    Country
    Bhutan
    Region
    Valencia
    Taxonomy
    Homo sapiens sapiens
    Politics
    Pragmatism
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

"What kind of society do you want to live in?": Inside the country where Down syndrome is disappearing
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/down-syndrome-iceland/

A World with No Down syndrome Babies?

According to the latest statistics, 67-85% of preborn babies diagnosed with Down syndrome are aborted in the United States. As a result, the population of people living with the condition has decreased by 30%. In other countries, the abortion rate for Down syndrome can be as high as 90% in the United Kingdom, 98% in Denmark and 100% in Iceland.

https://www.focusonthefamily.com/soc...yndrome-babies

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,849
    Given: 6,536

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques de Imbelloni View Post
    "What kind of society do you want to live in?": Inside the country where Down syndrome is disappearing
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/down-syndrome-iceland/

A World with No Down syndrome Babies?

According to the latest statistics, 67-85% of preborn babies diagnosed with Down syndrome are aborted in the United States. As a result, the population of people living with the condition has decreased by 30%. In other countries, the abortion rate for Down syndrome can be as high as 90% in the United Kingdom, 98% in Denmark and 100% in Iceland.

https://www.focusonthefamily.com/soc...yndrome-babies
    I would love to see how the pro-Abortionists would react if most babies found to have the 'gay gene' were being aborted. From what I've heard it's because of this that gay organisations are against research into finding and isolating the gay gene. They'll happily support all other abortions though.
    Spoiler!

Human Resources Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-21-2024 @ 10:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Euromutt
    Ethnicity
    White
    Country
    European Union
    Taxonomy
    WHG
    Politics
    Right (as in correct)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,473
    Given: 10,006

0 Not allowed!

AFAIK Most of the time when one twin is gay the identical twin isn't, heritability of sexuality is lower than lots of things, say, IQ for example. Suggesting hormonal factors in-utero and randomness of brain development may play a role. Regardless it would probably still be possible to eradicate via genetic engineering as you probably need genetic predisposition + relevant environmental factors. I do think parents should be allowed to screen and abort a foetus if it shows risk for traits they dislike, yes, if it is in the early stages. If embryo selection or genetic engineering becomes widespread parents should, in my opinion, be allowed to request that risk of homosexuality to be part of the exclusion criteria or that the gay gene be 'cut out'.

I wouldn't support a large scale state headed systematic scheme to screen all embryos for homosexuality and ensure it is not passed on (either via selection against or removal of the 'gay' gene. Seeing as large scale government intervention would be the only realistic way to eliminate it entirely I would certainly not support such a Draconian measure, because I don't think the government should be given that level of control over our genes. I don't really have an issue with homosexuality anyway it doesn't seem a major political or societal threat even if Gay pride parades are a little vulgar.
    Last edited by Bellbeaking; 06-01-2019 at 02:03 AM.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    argentino
    Ethnicity
    rosarino
    Country
    Bhutan
    Region
    Valencia
    Taxonomy
    Homo sapiens sapiens
    Politics
    Pragmatism
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post
    I would love to see how the pro-Abortionists would react if most babies found to have the 'gay gene' were being aborted. From what I've heard it's because of this that gay organisations are against research into finding and isolating the gay gene. They'll happily support all other abortions though.
    Ironically in my country all the LGBTQ are die hard abortists.
    if abortion on demand is legal, and aborting down syndrome babies is morally ok, why would aborting gay babies be a bad thing for post modern morality?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Inselaffe
    Country
    New Zealand
    Y-DNA
    R-U106
    mtDNA
    HV18
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,613
    Given: 10,299

2 Not allowed!

Many incredibly talented people have been gay. Might they have been as talented or would they have produced those works if not gay and not subject to their "disorder"?

Even though I would be devastated personally if a child of mine had been gay, if I knew ahead of time and could alter their future, I probably wouldn't. It is not a debilitating disease and given a "normal" upbringing with good parents, they'll still likely be productive and decent citizens. I say likely as this applies to normal heterosexual children too.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-10-2022 @ 10:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Weeb
    Country
    United States
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,217
    Given: 2,355

0 Not allowed!

There are about a thousand genes that I would prioritize "eliminating" before the one responsible for that. For example, those associated with autism, physical deformities, sociopathy/psychopathy, and low IQ. Butt pirates are only an occasional nuisance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information