PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 113
What % should determine your ethnic identification? - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What % should determine your ethnic identification?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 03:41 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic, Germanic, Anglo, Baltic
    Ethnicity
    English, French, Irish, Scottish, German, Distant American Indian
    Ancestry
    Mother's Side: Colonial Virginia. Fathers Side: German/Lithuania early 1900s.
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Y-DNA
    R-M417
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Chubby Atlantid
    Politics
    Paleo Conservative
    Hero
    General Lee
    Religion
    Christian Protestant
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3,483/895
    Given: 4,157/601

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Forget DNA tests and go with your Family tree. My ancestors were mostly English on mom's side and German on dad's side. So I go with Anglo German.

Last Online
    Today @ 02:08 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hittite
    Country
    South-Korea
    Hero
    유재석
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3,653/71
    Given: 3,214/74

Quote Originally Posted by El_Abominacion View Post
    I cringe at people who are incredibly admixed with some foreign ethnicity trying to claim to be part of some protected minority for oppression brownie points. By this I mean nitpicky cases, people with like 5% Aboriginal ancestry claiming to be ‘abbos’ while there are boatloads of actual, full bloods out there. The ‘one drop’ thing is really fucking stupid to me, why can’t people be satisfied with what they ACTUALLY are?
    There is definitely not "boatloads" of pure 100% ethnic Aboriginals in 2019. They exist, of course, but the numbers diminish greatly each decade. I think that's the point of identifying as one, so that you can carry on traditions, customs, etc. and remember your roots. But at the same time, it's also strange to kind of ignore the majority of your ancestry. It's much more common for a "white" man to identify, or feel more connected to, a minority ethnicity in their ancestry that was screwed over by the "white man", than the reverse happening. I've never heard of a black man claim to be white, even if he has a grandparent who is 100% Anglo.

Quote Originally Posted by itilvolga View Post
    You are the most handsome Turanid i have ever seen, you even haunt my dreams, god...

Banned
    Last Online
    07-01-2019 @ 09:48 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hun
    Country
    European Union
    Y-DNA
    G2a (Oetzi, Pannonian, Roman)
    mtDNA
    D4 (Magyar, Bashkir, Japanese)
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 532/52
    Given: 368/2

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

One white man said he doesn't want her daughter to have kids from a black man because he doesn't want his grandchildren to be African American and he made a great point by saying it because in America if you look black influenced you're black no one cares about your other heritage they put you in a box from where you can't never get out. I think he wasn't racist he just wanted his grand children to be American not black.

Last Online
    07-11-2019 @ 12:47 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Ethnicity
    Ashkenazi
    Ancestry
    Poland, Galicia, Russian Empire
    Country
    Israel
    Taxonomy
    Alpine-Pontid
    Politics
    Centre-Left
    Hero
    Yitzhak Rabin
    Religion
    Secular/Agnostic/Jewish (it's complicated)
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 988/13
    Given: 555/7

Quote Originally Posted by Ayetooey View Post
    I don't remember, I think more like 75% European 25% Levantine but I might be wrong lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markos View Post
    I forget what the Ashkenazi %'s would be in terms of ancestry. Is it roughly 50% Levantine 50% Europeanor 75% European 25% Levantine? Something else? I don't remember.
    It varies but rarely is an Ashkenazi more than 60% Levantine or 60% European. So, to simplify it, one can make the 50/50 mischlings categorization though there is variation.
    Most Ashkenazim today identify themselves as European in both the US and Israel, but this is due to ignorance in regard to their own history and genetics.
    I personally consider myself neither European nor Middle Eastern, and when prompted identify as a (Ashkenazi) Jew or Israeli.

Anyway as for the original question, I would argue that it would be the ethnicity you were raised in/your life experiences were significantly molded by but this isn't relevant on a genetic/anthropolgy/retard website so I'll go ahead and say 50%. This is not always applicable (I.E: Kid is born to Syrian parents, is adopted by white parents and no one including himself ever suspects he is non-European until he takes a DNA test and now suddenly he is an Arab).
    "Imagine having European and Middle Eastern genetics and ancestors, but being persecuted by both for not having enough of either."

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Dream Eater
    Ancestry
    Sachsen-Anhalt, Bayern, Gloucestershire, Yorkshire, Catalonia, Menorca
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Prussia
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,828/39
    Given: 486/36

There's also this thing where people want to feel like they're part of the "oppressed" rather than the "oppressors" and calling yourself Irish doesn't work for that in Australia, and probably not even in America anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markos View Post
    It's a bit peculiar. I think it's a lot to do with the notion that being different these days is "cool". Being Irish isn't "cool" enough in a country full of them.

I think it's great to be interested and proud of your heritage, but you can't just ignore the other parts too. I don't know. I kind of change my mind about the topic each time I think about it.

Today @ 01:42 AM
    Ethnicity
    (i∂-m)Ψ=0
    Country
    Vietnam
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 481/77
    Given: 280/42

Quote Originally Posted by ModernMaskil View Post
    It varies but rarely is an Ashkenazi more than 60% Levantine or 60% European. So, to simplify it, one can make the 50/50 mischlings categorization though there is variation.
    Most Ashkenazim today identify themselves as European in both the US and Israel, but this is due to ignorance in regard to their own history and genetics.
    I personally consider myself neither European nor Middle Eastern, and when prompted identify as a (Ashkenazi) Jew or Israeli.

Anyway as for the original question, I would argue that it would be the ethnicity you were raised in/your life experiences were significantly molded by but this isn't relevant on a genetic/anthropolgy/retard website so I'll go ahead and say 50%. This is not always applicable (I.E: Kid is born to Syrian parents, is adopted by white parents and no one including himself ever suspects he is non-European until he takes a DNA test and now suddenly he is an Arab).
    You are a Jew and you don't even know what you are talking about.

After the creation of the state Israel 'Ashkenazism' is not really relevant anymore. Today you can be a Jew even with only 1% of real Jewish blood in you when your maternal (mtDNA) line can be traced back to ancient times of Israel.

Judaism is an ethnoreligion like my own ethnoreligion of the Yezidism. But for my people you are only an Ezdi Kurd when both of your parents are Ezdi Kurds. So for my people it is to be or not to be. So, that makes me 100% 'pure' 'Ezdi' Kurd. We can conclude that my ethnoreligion is much more 'racist' than Jewish ethnoreligion.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mostly Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish/Slovak/Hungarian Romani/"American"
    Ancestry
    Essentially Austro-Hungary
    Country
    United States
    Hero
    Joseph Conrad
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 469/11
    Given: 699/10

It's not really your choice, it's who you were raised by and who accepts you as one of their own as well as what others recognize you as.
    Notice I'm saying 'and'...
    If you mixed these results together into one, it would be accurate, sort-of:
    Dodecad Weac: 55.27% Romanians + 44.73% Polish_D @ 1.339
    MDLP k16: 75.70% Scottish (Dumfries_Galloway) + 24.30% Slovak (Slovakia) @ 1.54
    Lukasz k15: 91.99% German + 8.01% Roma @ 3.063
    HarappaWorld: 78.5% hungarian (behar) + 21.5% utahn-white (hapmap) @ 3.05

Last Online
    07-11-2019 @ 12:47 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Ethnicity
    Ashkenazi
    Ancestry
    Poland, Galicia, Russian Empire
    Country
    Israel
    Taxonomy
    Alpine-Pontid
    Politics
    Centre-Left
    Hero
    Yitzhak Rabin
    Religion
    Secular/Agnostic/Jewish (it's complicated)
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 988/13
    Given: 555/7

Quote Originally Posted by MS85 View Post
    You are a Jew and you don't even know what you are talking about.

After the creation of the state Israel 'Ashkenazism' is not really relevant anymore. Today you can be a Jew even with only 1% of real Jewish blood in you when your maternal (mtDNA) line can be traced back to ancient times of Israel.

Judaism is an ethnoreligion like my own ethnoreligion of the Yezidism. But for my people you are only an Ezdi Kurd when both of your parents are Ezdi Kurds. So for my people it is to be or not to be. So, that makes me 100% 'pure' 'Ezdi' Kurd. We can conclude that my ethnoreligion is much more 'racist' than Jewish ethnoreligion.
    a. Ashkenazism is and always will be relevant in Israel. Seeing as you are an Ezdi Kurd and not an Israeli Jew, you're in no position to make that comment. If you'd like me to expand on it's relevance, I'll happily do so in PM's but I don't want to derail this thread.

b. You can be a Jew with 0% of Jewish blood; people can convert to our religion. We are not exclusive like the Druze or Yazidis. 80% or more of Ashkenazi Jews have a Levantine yDNA line, which can be traced back to ancient Israel. 20% maternally. The Talmud only argued for matrilineal descent to determine a Jew because of rape of Jewish women being commonplace; all descent in the Bible goes according to the male line.

I am too a 100% "pure" Ashkenazi Jew. See how that works? I am not purely Judean however, just as you are not descended purely from the Medes or any other ancient group Kurds/Yazidis claim descent from (though my mixing is a result of diaspora while yours is natural).
    "Imagine having European and Middle Eastern genetics and ancestors, but being persecuted by both for not having enough of either."

Today @ 01:42 AM
    Ethnicity
    (i∂-m)Ψ=0
    Country
    Vietnam
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 481/77
    Given: 280/42

Quote Originally Posted by ModernMaskil View Post
    b. You can be a Jew with 0% of Jewish blood; people can convert to our religion.
    Ivanka Trump converted to Judaism and is married to Jared Kushner who is known to be a Jew. Ivanka Trump is NOT an Ashkenazi Jew. Would you consider their children as 'pure' Ashkenazi Jews?

I am too a 100% "pure" Ashkenazi Jew.
    Are all of your 4 grandparents are Ashkenazi, though? And their grandparents etc.?

Last Online
    Today @ 01:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    Half Czech, half Basque
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,990/42
    Given: 2,879/24

Well, it certainly has to be reasonably high, but when we get to what reasonably high actually means, things get a bit tricky. This is a complex issue and several problems arise, when attempting to give a clear answer. I was once replying to the thread about a similar problem and I will make pretty much the same point here again. One approach would be to set a fixed boundary - let us assume it is reasonable for anyone with ancestry equal or more than the boundary to identify as/with the said ancestry and unreasonable for others. This is problematic, because the difference between someone right below and right above the said boundary can be as insignificant as one percent or even less. It would be ridiculous to think for someone 74% Germanic, it is unreasonable to identify as Germanic, while it is perfectly ok for someone who is 3/4 Germanic, for example. On the other hand, unless you define your identity precisely as it is by listing different percentages (which would be rather weird for most people, tbh), I dont think identity is somehow fluid either. I dont have any such definition because of the problems Ive mentioned. Knowing someones ancestry, I can tell whether it is reasonable for him to identify as X based on my own evaluation, not some formal definition. Personally, I identify myself as both Basque and Czech and I refer to the both groups as we, when I mean either of them.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information