Turkey, Desperate For "Scuba Tourism", Dumps An Airbus A330 Into The Middle Of The Ocean
by Tyler Durden
Mon, 06/17/2019 - 04:15

Maybe we just don't understand the scuba diving community quite as well as the country of Turkey does.

Because, to us, dropping an Airbus A330 commercial airliner into the middle of the ocean in Northwest Turkey as a way to "boost scuba diving tourism" and create an "artificial reef" doesn't seem to make any immediate sense.

But, nonetheless, that's exactly what has happened.

The plane was "scuttled a mile away off the Ibrice Port in Edirne province at a ceremony which was attended by Ali Uysal, deputy governor, among others," according to AA.

Uysal said:

“[…] Scuba diving tourism has a different market segment than mass tourism.”

He stated that an ordinary tourist generates income in the range of $500-600, while a tourist coming for scuba diving generates $2,000-3,000.

He continued: “For this reason, I think that the scuttled plane and artificial reef are very important.”

The plane is about 98 feet under the sea's surface and was retired from flying last year, after starting its service in 1995. It was brought to the Kesan district of Edirne from Mediterranean resort city of Antalya in March of this year.

In addition to the plane, the Turkish government also dropped "various objects, and figures representing [the] Canakkale War" as part of the artificial reef.

The mayor of Kesan, Mustafa Helvacioglu, called it a “historical day” in the Gulf of Saros.

Now, we are making underwater in the Gulf of Saros valuable as well,” Helvacioglu said.

Fatih Erdem, director of the Trans Anatolian Natural Gas Pipeline Project (TANAP), said the project will contribute to both tourism and aquatic life.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...0-middle-ocean

quasi_verbatim 16 hours ago

With a full complement of passengers, to encourage the sea-life?

weedgetz
Yeah all the journalists

Albertarock
...because as every land-dweller knows, when a person wants to go out for a beautiful nature walk the best place to go is to the local landfill to view all the lovely rusted out cars.

The insane notion of sinking useless ships under the guise of 'creating an artificial reef' is nothing less than using the ocean as a mega garbage dump. This has always pissed me off more than words can describe.

Dormouse
What ocean washes against the shores of Turkey?

Golden Showers
Oooh! Oooh! I know this one. It's the Black Sea and the Mediterrannean... seas

Uh, there's no ocean.

final answer!

So, instead of sending hot Turkish women off the island they sank the airplane. That sucks. I'm sure there's a lot of cheaper things that could build a reef like your comment, except that you got me!

Bastille Day
The ocean that's in the middle of Northwest Turkey, duh.

gfont
The ingenuity of these people never ceases to disappoint. They must be truly desperate.

_ConanTheLibertarian_
Did they dump the plane including passengers?

The fish need to eat you know.

tuetenueggel
Was there a comment from someone, that muslims have the by far lowest IQ of all populations worldwide ?

This might be the evidence.