Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eye and hair colour distribution among 660 English (both sexes studied)

Last Online
    03-02-2021 @ 10:24 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Thracian/Scythian/Gothic
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    Dalofaelid with Corded Nordid influences
    Politics
    Fuck agendas
    Hero
    None.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,666
    Given: 13,081

7 Not allowed!

Default Eye and hair colour distribution among 660 English (both sexes studied)

Similar to my thread about these Dutch:
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...ribution+dutch
    However, the present thread includes data for both sexes.
    I'm clarifying some things for those who haven't read my previous topic of this kind:
    1) It's always better that a study covers thousands (superiorly tens or hundreds of thousands) people. Still, the deviation possible in a survey dealing with 330 people of each sex is much smaller than it would be if you post just 15-20 people.
    2) Should be noted that the eye and hair colour distribution in larger cities affects more the total average than does the one in smaller towns or villages.
    3) I've always had a pretty clear criterion of blondism (even when I didn't know anything about anthropology) which actually matches the Fischer-Saller scale. What I consider blond includes the nuances listed on it. Yellowish colour of one or another form is my idea of blondism (even wikipedia agrees with me):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blond
    If a person has light hair lacking these tones I call that light brown, not blond.
    Orange and similar reddish blond shades affect both blondism and rufosity rate.
    4) I counted only white English people. The current survey is based on 330 males (165 footballers and 165 musicians) and 330 females (309 football players and 21 actresses).
    I didn't include players of mixed, Sub-Saharan African or other racial descent (who were much more represented in the male teams, by the way), nor did I count non-English whites (those were mainly Irish, Northern Irish, Welsh, Scottish and Polish, among others).
    Next country I intend to base a survey on is Ireland. I didn't have enough data now but I'll find some more.
    5) I I googled every single person for several images on the net in order to be precise. As many of the staff members are bald men, I looked (and found such) for photos of their younger days to determine hair colour. I couldn't find any good photo of one of the male coaches' younger days, so I omitted him.
    Yes, I know musicians often dye their hair. Bands I included range from the electronic music of Depeche Mode to the grindcore of Napalm Death but most are just in the range of heavy metal, thrash and the more extreme subgenres of metal music.
    Several musicians/singers with dyed black/dark brown hair had in fact lighter shades of brown as their natural.
    On the contrary, one man was a clear fake blond who in youth appears to have had a medium brown colour.
    One English singer is an obvious fake redhead and even admits it. His natural hair colour is black.

Male footballers hail from these teams:
    https://www.worldfootball.net/player...gue-2018-2019/
    I used some of the artists listed here (but also some others) to conduct my study of musicians:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...musical_groups
    English female footballers from the highest two levels (FA Women's Super League and FA Women's Championship) of the association were the basis in my case:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ubs_in_England
    The national team was also included (recent callups, most capped athletes and top scorers, too):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Englan..._football_team
    The remaining numbers account to random English actresses - mainly from this list:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._and_actresses

Here is the scale I used. Colours A to O are what I count as blond.
    The numbers V and VI reflect reddish blond hair and affect both blondism and rufosity values. Deeper orange shades I also include as reddish blond.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fische...93Saller_scale
    The rest of the colours I saw among white English in my view are respectively:
    - light brown
    - medium brown (including medium ash brown nuances)
    - dark brown (again including some dark ash brown forms)
    - black
    - reddish brown
    - pure red

To estimate the eye colours distribution I used the Martin-Schultz scale. Green eyes with brown spots when green dominates I count as light. Evenly mixed green-brown shades and such where brown dominates I consider hazel and don't count as light.
    The Martin-Schultz scale includes:
    1-2 : blue iris (1a, 1b, 1c, 2a : light blue iris - 2b : darker blue iris)
    3 : blue-gray iris
    4 : gray iris (4a, 4b)
    5 : blue-gray iris with yellow/brown spots
    6 : gray-green iris with yellow/brown spots
    7 : green iris
    8 : green iris with yellow/brown spots
    9-10-11 : light-brown and hazel iris
    12-13 : medium brown iris
    14-15-16 : dark-brown and black iris
    My source:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin...3Schultz_scale
    Colours 1-8 I consider light. 9 is where non-light eyes begin for me.

I start the results with those of white English male football players and staff members. A total of 165 men.
    Hair colour distribution:
    Blond – 19 (11,51%)
    Reddish blond – 1 (0,61%)
    Red – 1 (0,61%)
    Reddish brown - 5 (3,03%)
    Light brown – 22 (13,33%)
    Medium brown – 43 (26,06%)
    Medium ash brown – 13 (7,88%)
    Dark brown – 43 (26,06%)
    Dark ash brown – 7 (4,24%)
    Black – 11 (6,67%)
    Total blondism rate: 12,12% (20 individuals)
    Total rufosity rate: 4,25% (7 men)
    Total brown hair frequency: 80,6% (133 individuals)
    Medium brown shades percentage (including the ashy tones): 33,94% (56 people)
    Dark brown shades (including ashy nuances): 30,3% (50 men)
    Dark hair (dark brown shades + black): 36,97% (61 individuals)

Main phenotypes among members of the above-mentioned group:
    1) Keltic Nordid was by far most common. While this phenotype has a strong presence in England, among male footballers it seems overrepresented. Probably they are currently relying more on speed and technique in Premiership now than they did in the past and this could be the reason why slender types like KN are popular.
    As Carleton Coon also noted and my observations in reality confirm, the Keltic Nordic type is most often brown-haired (with blonds and redheads accounting to a certain minority):
    ''The hair, which ranges in color from a blackish brown to a platinum-like ash-blond, is most commonly medium brown in pigment. It is generally of a much darker tone than what is common among Hallstatt Nordids, a fact well illustrated by some the more recent photographic material presented below."
    https://www.theapricity.com/snpa/rg-keltic.htm
    Faces like these were very common:
    From Ipswich, England

From Clare, Ireland

2) Elements like Coon's Atlanto-Mediterranean and Gracile Mediterranean, as well as certain phenos resembling Lundman's supposed North Atlantid type weren't rare. In any case Nordic-Mediterranean blends, whatever you call them, were present. Rarely did English players show robustness in a Brunn or even Anglo-Saxon way (this wasn't the case of English musicians and female footballers but about this - later) which leads to the impression of the average type being neutral and more often gracile than robust on individual level.
    3) Norids and Dinarids also seem to find their place in soccer.

Before I mention the eye colour results among members of this group, I'd like to note there is a black-haired athlete with heterochromia (one blue-green and one hazel eye) in the list. Thus he affects both light and hazel eyes frequency.
    Eye colour distribution:
    Blue – 94 (56,97%)
    Blue-green – 4,5 (2,72%) - heterochromia
    Blue-grey – 3 (1,82%)
    Green-grey – 6 (3,64%)
    Grey – 5 (3,03%)
    Green – 10 (6,06%)
    Hazel – 17,5 (10,61%) – heterochromia
    Brown – 23 (13,94%)
    Black – 2 (1,21%)
    Two men had black eyes with perfectly Europoid features. This comes to confirm that the rare darkest variations exist even among people of Northwestern descent and the presence of such among individuals from various corners of the continent shouldn't necessarily be associated with Semitic/South Asian/Sub-Saharan admixture unless it's evident in facial features and skull.
    Total amount of light eyes: 74,24% (122 men and one with heterochromia)
    Dark and dark-mixed eyes (brown, hazel and black): 25,76% (42 men and one with heterochromia)
    My notion of pure blue eyes accounting to a higher rate of the total light eyes percentage among the English in comparison to most continental Europeans (including some Northwesterners like the Dutch) found confirmation amongst males in this survey.
    The English players and staff members scored as 56,97% blue-eyed vs. 52,84% for the Dutch men but in terms of total light eyes frequency the Dutch prevail by a 10,51% margin.
    31,91% for blue-green, blue-grey, grey-green, green and grey eyes among the Dutch (who scored as 84,75% light-eyed in my previous topic) vs. 17,27% for all these shades amidst Premiership players.
    The difference in grey eyes distribution is particularly evident - 13,48% for the Dutch and 3,03% for the English.
    76,74% of the light eyes among members of this English group are blue. Of all light eyes in the Dutch group blue ones make 62,35%.

I'll now share the results for English musicians - again a sample of 165 men:
    Blond – 27 (16,36%)
    Reddish blond – 3 (1,82%)
    Red – 2 (1,21%)
    Reddish brown – 4 (2,42%)
    Light brown – 20 (12,12%)
    Medium brown – 33 (20%)
    Medium ash brown – 4 (2,42%)
    Dark brown – 51 (30,91%)
    Dark ash brown – 7 (4,25%)
    Black – 14 (8,49%)
    The main type here is more robust and more prone to blondism. Like previous group, hair texture is mainly straight followed by wavy, but curly hair has somewhat increased due to the higher rate of types like Brunn and Dinarid, both of which often possess the trait.
    Phenotypes include Anglo-Saxon, Trønder, Keltic Nordid, Brunn, Dalofaelid, Norid, Dinarid, Sub-Nordid, Hallstatt Nordid, Corded Nordid, Alpinid, Paleo Atlantid and Borreby mostly.
    Total blondism level: 18,18% (30 individuals)
    Total rufosity rate: 5,45% (9 individuals)
    Total brown hair frequency: 72,12% (119 people)
    Medium brown shades percentage (including the ashy tones): 22,42% (37 men)
    Dark brown shades (including ashy nuances): 35,16% (58 men)
    Dark hair (dark brown shades + black): 43,65% (72 individuals)

Eye colour distribution among English musicians:
    Blue – 101 (61,21%)
    Blue-green – 1 (0,61%)
    Blue-grey – 0
    Green-grey – 9 (5,46%)
    Grey – 15 (9,09%)
    Green – 7 (4,24%)
    Hazel – 10 (6,06%)
    Brown – 22 (13,33%)
    Black - 0
    Total amount of light eyes: 80,61% (133 individuals). The amount of blue and grey eyes has increased in comparison to English soccer players apparently reflecting the stronger Anglo-Saxon, Corded and Upper Paleolithic strains. Still, the Dutch group has more grey eyes though.
    Non-light eyes: 19,39% (32 individuals)

Combined average results for English males in this survey - the intermediate between musicians and athletes/members of staff seems, more or less, true on phenotypical and pigmentation level (with minor deviation possible, of course) based on my experience with the English in reality:
    Hair colour distribution among 330 men:
    Blond – 46 (13,94%)
    Reddish blond – 4 (1,21%)
    Red – 3 (0,91%)
    Reddish brown – 9 (2,73%)
    Light brown – 42 (12,73%)
    Medium brown – 76 (23,03%)
    Medium ash brown – 17 (5,15%)
    Dark brown – 94 (28,48%)
    Dark ash brown – 14 (4,24%)
    Black – 25 (7,58%)
    Total blondism rate: 15,15% (50 men)
    Total rufosity share: 4,85% (16 men)
    Total brown hair frequency: 76,36% (252 men)
    Medium brown hair percentage (including the ashy tones): 28,18% (93 men)
    Dark brown shades (including ashy tones): 32,72% (108 people)
    Dark hair (dark brown shades + black): 40,3% (133 men)

Eye colour distribution total for English men in this survey:
    Blue – 195 (59,09%)
    Blue-green – 5,5 (1,67%)
    Blue-grey – 3 (0,91%)
    Green-grey – 15 (4,54%)
    Grey – 20 (6,06%)
    Green – 17 (5,15%)
    Hazel – 27,5 (8,33%)
    Brown – 45 (13,64%)
    Black – 2 (0,61%)
    Males final light eyes rate: 77,42% (255 men + one with heterochromia)
    Males final non-light eyes percentage: 22,58% (74 individuals + one with heterochromia)
    Blue and blue-mixed light eyes as a whole account to 61,67% (61,82% among musicians and 61,51% among athletes).
    Grey and grey-mixed light eyes score a total of 11,51% (14,55% among musicians and 8,49% among athletes; I already pointed the difference in this regard).

And now, here are the ladies' results based on 309 football players/staff members and 21 actresses. Here several natural brunettes had dyed their hair blonde but also some blondes had it darkened. I found plenty of photos and had a good opportunity to figure out each lady's natural shade.
    Blonde – 91 (27,58%)
    Reddish blonde – 4 (1,21%)
    Red – 7 (2,12%)
    Reddish brown – 10 (3,03%)
    Light brown – 35 (10,61%)
    Medium brown – 80 (24,24%)
    Medium ash brown – 35 (10,61%)
    Dark brown – 44 (13,33%)
    Dark ash brown – 14 (4,24%)
    Black – 10 (3,03%)
    Total blondism rate: 28,79% (95 women)
    Total rufosity: 6,36% (21 women)
    Total brown hair frequency: 66,06% (218 women)
    Medium brown shades (including ashy tones): 34,85% (115 individuals)
    Dark brown shades (dark ash brown counted): 17,57% (58 individuals)
    Dark hair (dark brown shades + black) rate: 20,6% (68 women)
    In terms of blondism and rufosity English ladies surpass not only their male compatriots, but also Dutch men - the blondism ratio is 28,79% vs. 24,82% and rufosity values are respectively 6,36 and 2,83%.

Eye colour distribution:
    Blue – 164 (49,7%)
    Blue-green – 20 (6,06%)
    Blue-grey – 15 (4,55%)
    Green-grey – 24 (7,27%)
    Grey – 30 (9,09%)
    Green – 26 (7,88%)
    Hazel – 23 (6,97%)
    Brown – 27 (8,18%)
    Black – 1 (0,3%)
    Light eyes total: 84,55% (279 individuals)
    Non-light eyes (hazel, brown and black): 15,45% (51 individuals)
    Blue and blue-mixed light eyes make 60,31% of the women in this survey.
    Grey and grey-mixed light ones account to 20,91% of them.
    English women seem to surpass the males at the frequency of every light eye colour, except for blue. Also, contrary to men, blue doesn't make a that high percent of all light eyes combined (58,78% of all light eyes among females are in my view pure blue, while midst Englishmen they average 76,32%).

Phenotypes I saw among English women were Anglo-Saxon, Trønder, Keltic Nordid, Corded Nordid, Brunn, Sub-Nordid, Faelid, Dinarid, Norid, Paleo Atlantid, Alpinid, Hallstatt Nordid, Borreby, Atlantid, Atlanto-Mediterranean and blends of these. Slightly more robust than average, as most of the women in my survey are athletes. Yet, robustness is developed in a distinctively feminine way.

Average results based on both sexes:
    Blond/blonde – 137 (20,76%)
    Reddish blond/blonde – 8 (1,21%)
    Red – 10 (1,51%)
    Reddish brown – 19 (2,88%)
    Light brown – 77 (11,67%)
    Medium brown – 156 (23,64%)
    Medium ash brown – 52 (7,88%)
    Dark brown – 138 (20,91%)
    Dark ash brown – 28 (4,24%)
    Black – 35 (5,3%)
    Total blondism rate: 21,97% (145 people)
    Total rufosity: 5,6% (37 individuals)
    Total brown hair frequency: 71,22% (470 people)
    Medium brown shades (including ashy tones): 31,52% (208 people)
    Dark brown shades (including ashy nuances): 25,15% (166 people)
    Dark hair total (dark brown shades & black): 30,45% (201 individuals)

Eye colour distribution:
    Blue – 359 (54,39%)
    Blue-green – 25,5 (3,86%)
    Blue-grey – 18 (2,73%)
    Green-grey – 39 (5,91%)
    Grey – 50 (7,58%)
    Green – 43 (6,52%)
    Hazel – 50,5 (7,65%)
    Brown – 72 (10,91%)
    Black – 3 (0,45%)
    Light eyes amount: 80,99% (534 people and one with heterochromia)
    Non-light eyes (brown, hazel and black) amount: 19,01% (125 people and one with heterochromia)
    Last edited by The Blade; 06-22-2019 at 08:40 PM.
    After not shaving for a while:

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 12:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,211
    Given: 43,752

3 Not allowed!

Yes, in contrast to most of Northern Europe, dark brown hair is more common in England and other parts of the British Isles than is true blonde hair. All the same, most people have light-to-medium brown hair.

Last Online
    03-25-2024 @ 05:06 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Slovenian
    Country
    New Zealand
    Politics
    Right wing
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,195
    Given: 677

0 Not allowed!

More light eyes than what the studies show. Septinitron is going to love this.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-29-2023 @ 03:20 PM
    Ethnicity
    Aryan
    Ancestry
    Steppe
    Country
    Russia
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    H1
    Taxonomy
    Corded
    Politics
    Esoteric
    Hero
    Those that fought for a better world (If you know, you know)
    Religion
    Natural
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,828
    Given: 9,772

4 Not allowed!

was Hallstatt Nordid the most rare phenotype that you saw among males and females? People like to say it is 'common' here but it is very rare to find in my view

Nordisch-Westisch or Westisch mit Nordische einschlag
    In other words: Atlantid type

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Thracian/Scythian/Gothic
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Fuck agendas
    Hero
    None.
    Thumbs Up

4 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    was Hallstatt Nordid the most rare phenotype that you saw among males and females? People like to say it is 'common' here but it is very rare to find in my view
    Unmixed Hallstatt and Gracile Med were rarest in my observation. Still, both are definitely present and noticeable.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Thracian/Scythian/Gothic
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Fuck agendas
    Hero
    None.
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Supercomputer View Post
    More light eyes than what the studies show. Septinitron is going to love this.
    What's worth noting here is the 7,13% light eyes difference between women and men in my view in this survey (84,55 vs 77,42).
    These English women scored only 0,2% less at light eyes rate than Dutch men in my previous thread.

Veteran Member Davy Jones's Locker's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:40 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    British-Irish Isles
    Ethnicity
    English + Irish.
    Ancestry
    Majority English, minority Irish
    Country
    England
    Region
    Mercia
    Y-DNA
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA
    K1a
    Taxonomy
    Keltic Nordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,116
    Given: 116

2 Not allowed!

These results seem similar to the UK Biobank, although that study didn't just include English people.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    me
    Country
    European Union
    Y-DNA
    R1a > YP1337 > R-BY160486*
    mtDNA
    H3*
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,243
    Given: 2,623

2 Not allowed!

Do Swedes in the same way. I think their blondism is overestimated, especially hair color.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:49 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Polish and distant Ashkenazi Jewish.
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Shqiptar in disguise
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1 Hyperborean
    Taxonomy
    Moderately not ugly something
    Politics
    Social Liberalism - apparently.
    Hero
    Goofy
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,596
    Given: 48,325

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by The Blade View Post
    What's worth noting here is the 7,13% light eyes difference between women and men in my view in this survey (84,55 vs 77,42).
    These English women scored only 0,2% less at light eyes rate than Dutch men in my previous thread.
    Interesting that the difference is present despite such a big sample.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Thracian/Scythian/Gothic
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Fuck agendas
    Hero
    None.
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Interesting that the difference is present despite such a big sample.
    I believe that women in many states tend to be lighter (including lighter-eyed) than men. In England this seems to be true.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information