R1B1B2A1A
    mtDNA
    H
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,362
    Given: 11,959

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    Cuba has more of both extremes than Puerto Rico - more full Whites but also more full Blacks. Ultimately, the 'average' admixture is probably about the same in both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffmannn View Post
    The difference in european input between Cuba and Puerto Rico is not big, Cuba is placed between 70-75% euro, and Puerto Rico seems to be around 65% in the different studies.

But Cuba is more european because the % of people full or almost full euro is higher than in Puerto Rico, which is more mixed (but has also a large european descent population inside the Latin American context), on the other way Cuba seems to have more black or heavily black people (most of them are descendant of haitian workers that migrated into eastern Cuba in the XIX century, the same time that spaniards migrated to Cuba)

If Cuba didn´t have received a continuous influx of slaves during the XIX century would be even whiter (the same as Brazil for example), because the migration of spaniards during the XIX century seems to be heavier in Cuba than in Puerto Rico.

Before the "Decreto de Gracias" of 1815, that favoured the spanish inmigration, both islands seamed to be highly european for hispanoamerican standards. The last spanish colonial census before the mainland Hispanoamerica independances, in the first decades of the XIX century, put the white population of both islands around the 50% (the concept of whiteness was a little lax and counted into castizos, harnizos and "light" people with no much black ancestry as "españoles", thus white). On these dates the Revillagigedo census of 1790 put the spanish population of the Viceroyalty of New Spain (nowadays Mexico) put the white population around 20%, and in the Viceroyalty of Peru the white population at the end of the XVIII century was around 15%.
    Quote Originally Posted by tekken999 View Post
    I've seen a study that Cuba might be slightly higher than Puerto Rico for european and african and slightly less for amerindian but it's almost the same as Puerto Rico's admixture.

This study on cuba ( https://journals.plos.org/plosgeneti...n-1004488-g001) put it at 72% European, 20% African and 8% Native American for Cubans compared to the Puerto Rican study mentioned by Argentano - European 69.3% African 17.3% and Native American 13.4% . I think alot of the Cuban migration to miami also lowered the overall European input on the island. I know for a fact though there are now alot of very black cubans living Cuba today, and not mulatto I mean but black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristiano viejo View Post
    More than Cuba??
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-29851-3

Mr. Wog is back
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-29-2024 @ 05:10 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    EEF/Anzick/Clovis
    Ethnicity
    Argentine/Uruguayan Gaucho, South-East brazilian and western cuban looking.
    Ancestry
    Navarrese/Aquitanian/Galician-Portuguese/Sicilian/Ava-Guarani
    Country
    Argentina
    Region
    Minas Gerais
    Y-DNA
    R1b U152
    Taxonomy
    Southeast Brazilian looking or Western cuban looking
    Politics
    Traditionalist/Hispanist
    Hero
    Don Pelayo, Virrey Pedro de Cevallos y Calderón, Juan Manuel de Rosas, Agustín Agualongo
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,915
    Given: 27,872

1 Not allowed!

Wow! Indeed Cuba is far more diverse than PR and also it's very segregated by ethnic groups, and Puerto Rico is not at all, while it's far more homogeneous and less SSA influenced (and more AI influenced).

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Turkic
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Country
    Turkey
    Y-DNA
    O-M176
    Taxonomy
    CM-Pontid.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,796
    Given: 4,238

0 Not allowed!

Last Online
    05-29-2021 @ 08:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    Ancestry
    7/8 Spanish, 1/16 Corsican, 1/16 Taino
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,206
    Given: 792

1 Not allowed!

One thing I find interesting is that San Juan seems to be more diverse than the other regions of Puerto Rico (though not quite to the extent of Cuba). Intuitively that makes sense because San Juan has probably absorbed the bulk of African and European arrivals, but it's interesting to see.

The West is much more European overall, but in both cases about 20% of the population is 80+% Euro. (The number for the West may be slightly higher ˜25% depending on how precisely you draw line - this is sort of a quick, rough comparison I made to illustrate the general point)

Similarly the Metro area has many, many more people under 60% European.

Put differently, the vast majority of Puerto Ricans are between 60-80% European but interestingly (and likely due to different migratory streams) there are less people in the "standard Puerto Rican range" than elsewhere on the island.
    Last edited by BirdMan; 07-04-2019 at 11:06 AM.

Last Online
    05-29-2021 @ 08:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    Ancestry
    7/8 Spanish, 1/16 Corsican, 1/16 Taino
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,206
    Given: 792

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Argentano View Post
    PUERTO RICO

I just noticed something important for the purposes of analysis.

I'm certain the "Arecibo" and "Metro" boxplots were switched by mistake.

If you look at the graph, the Metro median is around 70-71% European. Whereas the Arecibo median seems to be much lower. Yet their boxplots reflect the opposite of that.

And if you look at the boxplot, there are ˜20 outliers but the Arecibo sample only had 40 samples total so it is impossible for there to be so many outliers. Meanwhile, the Metro sample had 300 people - a population size large enough to have 20 outliers.

Last Online
    06-08-2022 @ 02:43 PM
    Ethnicity
    Gaucho
    Country
    Argentina
    Y-DNA
    R1B1B2A1A
    mtDNA
    H
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BirdMan View Post
    I just noticed something important for the purposes of analysis.

I'm certain the "Arecibo" and "Metro" boxplots were switched by mistake.

If you look at the graph, the Metro median is around 70-71% European. Whereas the Arecibo median seems to be much lower. Yet their boxplots reflect the opposite of that.

And if you look at the boxplot, there are ˜20 outliers but the Arecibo sample only had 40 samples total so it is impossible for there to be so many outliers. Meanwhile, the Metro sample had 300 people - a population size large enough to have 20 outliers.
    Quote Originally Posted by BirdMan View Post
    One thing I find interesting is that San Juan seems to be more diverse than the other regions of Puerto Rico (though not quite to the extent of Cuba). Intuitively that makes sense because San Juan has probably absorbed the bulk of African and European arrivals, but it's interesting to see.

The West is much more European overall, but in both cases about 20% of the population is 80+% Euro. (The number for the West may be slightly higher ˜25% depending on how precisely you draw line - this is sort of a quick, rough comparison I made to illustrate the general point)

Similarly the Metro area has many, many more people under 60% European.

Put differently, the vast majority of Puerto Ricans are between 60-80% European but interestingly (and likely due to different migratory streams) there are less people in the "standard Puerto Rican range" than elsewhere on the island.

yes its inteersting to see one regio is more diverse than the other. That being said i have the impression that bigger samples tend to be more diverse

I think you are right about METRO boxplot being the first one. Its ´pretty obvious if you analyze the boxplot (whete it starts/ends and the outliers)

Here i did a similar work with our gedmatch kits. Its actually pretty similar, right?

Last Online
    03-21-2023 @ 02:22 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Latin
    Ethnicity
    Brazilian
    Ancestry
    Latin.
    Country
    Brazil
    Region
    Minas Gerais
    Taxonomy
    Alpinized Gracile-Med
    Politics
    I don't give a fuck about it.
    Hero
    Nobody
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,836
    Given: 5,025

0 Not allowed!

Subscribing.

Enviado de meu SM-G610M usando o Tapatalk

Last Online
    06-08-2022 @ 02:43 PM
    Ethnicity
    Gaucho
    Country
    Argentina
    Y-DNA
    R1B1B2A1A
    mtDNA
    H
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

ALL THE PUERTO RICAN REGIONS RESIZED

Red is european and blue is amerindian. If we exclude the outliers the typical puerto rican seems to be a tri racial who is predominantely spanish with some small but noticeable amerindian and african.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information