Thread: How do neopgans think of the video game "God of war"?

Last Online
    Today @ 06:52 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Human
    Ethnicity
    Chinese
    Country
    China
    Politics
    Anti-nazi
    Hero
    Many
    Religion
    Free thinker
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,270
    Given: 3,568

0 Not allowed!

Default How do neopgans think of the video game "God of war"?

"God of war" series demonized Zeus,Odin,Hercules,Baldr,Hermes,Hades,Persephone and many other gods,so do the neopagans feel offended by the game?Or just think"they're not our gods,they just shared the same name"?Or just don't care "God of war"?

Last Online
    04-11-2024 @ 04:58 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic, German, some Jewish
    Ancestry
    Mercia/Northumbria, Westphalia/Baden-Wuttemburg, Mayo/Donegal, Powys, Argyll, Pas-de-Calais, Poland?
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I-L38
    mtDNA
    H3
    Taxonomy
    probably alpine+atlantid/mediterranid
    Politics
    non party affiliated center-right
    Hero
    Vercingetorix, Caratacus, Arminius, Robert the Bruce, Owain Glyndwr, Jan Sobieski III
    Religion
    I feel connected to paganism & my ancestors but am also scientific
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,927
    Given: 2,177

0 Not allowed!

well I'm not really a neo-pagan, but I am a paganism enthusiast, and I think its an interesting story (especially the most recent one), as even when I was christian, I appreciated stories that had interesting interpretations of the bible and its stories, so I see the game as a great story based on the old faith of europe, and that's all...

Malarxist-Bidenist
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2022 @ 06:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European-American
    Ancestry
    Great Britain (early 17th c.), Ireland (19th c.), Elsaß Germany (19th c.)
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Illinois
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Atlantic
    Politics
    Wählt Sozialdemokratisch! 🌹
    Hero
    Aldous Huxley
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta (शाक्तं)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,782
    Given: 5,353

1 Not allowed!

It's imperative to keep ancient religion and popular culture separated. Like the difference between Thor (Norse myth) and Thor (Marvel character) on Wikipedia. Laypeople can sometimes conflate the two. Just the other day, I am a member of several Greco-Roman polytheist groups on Facebook and someone was asking about Kratos in "God of War" and whether or not the Omega symbol was an attribute of Kratos, the Greek deity (one of Zeus' law enforcers in Greek myth) because they had seen it appear on Google image searches. First of all, "God of War" is a console game from the 2010's, secondly, the creators of "God of War" were originally going to give Kratos a Norse name. I have even seen this conflation of Greek myth with popular culture in an assignment for my undergraduate "Women, Power, and Paganism" class in college. We each were supposed to do a presentation on some aspect or other about ancient Greco-Roman religion, and this one girl chose to do her presentation on Gaia, the Greek earth goddess. For one of her PowerPoint slides, this girl had a sculpture entitled "Gaia" that some modern artist had done of a green and blue woman with her belly in the shape of Earth as it is depicted on a globe. She then began describing this art piece. I looked over to the instructor (a young PhD student who was doing her dissertation on that cleaning instrument from the Roman baths) and she had a look of utter confusion on her face (lol!), I knew exactly how she was feeling and I cringed along with her.

When I was younger, I used to be miffed by the Marvel Thor comic book because I knew it would take gross liberties with the story-lines, obviously deviating from Norse myth and thus confusing people who didn't know any better who would probably be left with the impression that some of these erroneous episodes come directly from Norse myth. My dad told me that it was the Thor comic book which introduced him (however tenuously) to Norse myth in the first place.

It is the responsibility of each person to educate themselves. I have been trained to view things from a historical lens, and to separate academic subjects from popular culture. It is not my responsibility to make sure that the Plebeians do the same. If someone is not able to make a demarcation between the old religions and modern popular culture, I simply will not take them seriously.

Only butthurted clowns minuses my posts. -- Лиссиы

Thread Information