Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    W6a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,922
    Given: 18,998

0 Not allowed!

Judeo-Slavic Viking from Gotland, Sweden: http://www.blueheronblast.com/2019/0...-redstein.html

Check: https://jewishdna.net/E1b-old.html

=====

I remember that some E1b1b was also found among the Slavic population of Usedom (Uznam) island:

https://refubium.fu-berlin.de/handle/fub188/4796

"This study investigates 200 skeletons from an early Christian graveyard of the 12th to early 13th century in Usedom (Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany). The city of Usedom was a notable maritime place of trade in a time of major political and social transformations. The Christianisation of the Slavic elite in 1128, the following raids of the Danes and the influx of German settlers starting in the 13th century were formative events. The reconstruction of the living conditions of the Usedom population was achieved by means of well established anthropological and palaeodemographical methods. Age and sex distribution comply with other ordinary populations of that time frame: high proportion of children (32 %), comparatively few adolescents but many adults (59 %) as well as a slight surplus in men. Remarkably, a deficit in women in the mature age class is attended by an increased mortality of girls of the age class infans I. However, this may be due to a methodical error. In order to clarify a possible Slavic, Danish or German background of the inhabitants of Usedom, eight skull measures, four skull indices and five measures of the long bones of the extremities were investigated typologically as well as statistically on the basis of their arithmetic means and compared to the measures of two series of Slavic or multiethnic/place of trade background (Sanzkow and Haithabu, respectively). The comparison of arithmetic means did yield statistically significant differences between the three populations. The men and women of Usedom seem to be more closely related to the Sanzkow population. However, they appear to take a position between the two other populations. Unfortunately, a comparison with Slavic and Germanic populations of the Neolithic till Early Middle Ages did not provide distinct results. The archaeologically based assumption of a mainly Slavic population cannot be rejected with anthropological means. The analysis of mitochondrial and Y-chromosomal DNA, however, generated auspicious results despite adverse storage conditions. Results could be obtained from all four samples. Two individuals were of mtDNA haplogroup H and two of haplogroup K. Y-chromosome analysis yielded haplogroups E1b1b and R1a1a7, respectively, in two males. Future molecular research will see improved methods for the even more detailed reconstruction of human migration."
    Last edited by Peterski; 07-20-2019 at 08:18 AM.

Banned
    Last Online
    03-06-2022 @ 05:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    NBK
    Ethnicity
    Black Finn
    Country
    Finland
    Region
    Texas
    Taxonomy
    Kylälahtic/Australoid, NEOMORPH
    Politics
    Santeri Alkio
    Hero
    Action Jackson
    Religion
    Steel Eight
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,608
    Given: 1,825

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    They weren't added to autosomal breakdown table. We must wait for samples, to upload to Gedmatch or check in G25, and then make comparison.

In the meantime: Matt, commentator from Eurogenes added this breakdown according to haplogroups. Very interesting. R1a isn't very Slavic (Polish admixture).

So according to this N1c1 is the most Swedish-like haplo.

Banned
    Last Online
    03-06-2022 @ 05:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    NBK
    Ethnicity
    Black Finn
    Country
    Finland
    Region
    Texas
    Taxonomy
    Kylälahtic/Australoid, NEOMORPH
    Politics
    Santeri Alkio
    Hero
    Action Jackson
    Religion
    Steel Eight
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,608
    Given: 1,825

1 Not allowed!

I1 found in these samples looks to be Finnish and North Scandinavian type

I1 is the most well represented haplogroup in our ancient dataset,
    and most regions contained individuals belonging to this lineage
    (especially Estonia, Russia, Denmark and Greenland), with the
    exception of the Isle of Man, Ireland and Italy, however these regions
    have comparatively small sample sizes which may not allow the
    detection of this haplogroup. The ancient samples of the present-study
    are mainly distributed in two main clades, I1a1b1-L22, which accounts
    for 71% of the I1 haplotypes in a Y-chromosome survey of Finland,
    and I1a2a-S246. Of particular interest, the clade I1a2a1a1d1a-S247 is
    especially well represented in Estonian samples, and is found mostly
    in present-day Finnish and Northern Scandinavian groups.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 10:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    W6a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,922
    Given: 18,998

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aren View Post
    Looking at the chart posted above here it still seems like R1a in this study from the men sampled is overhwelmingly Western autosomally (75% Scandinavian, British and Italian-like the other 25% split between Polish and Finnish-like).
    ^^^
    That combines R1a-Z284 (a native Scandinavian subclade of R1a, from Battle Axe Culture) with Balto-Slavic R1a-M458 and Z280, which is wrong.

Autosomal results of all the men with M458 and with R1a-Z280 were much more "Polish-like" than those of the men with native Norse R1a-Z284.

Also "Italian-like" is by no means a Western component, but merely a Southern one (equally South-Eastern as South-Western). Remember that the authors did not use any East Mediterranean and Greek references, so anyone coming from the Byzantine Empire would also score "Italian-like" in this study's ethnicity estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Aren View Post
    Outside of the island Gotland (where the Polish admix is most likely Baltic eitherway) there are only I believe three heavily Polish-like remains in Scandinavia.
    Check distribution of ethno-linguistic groups in North-Central Europe ca. year 850 AD:

https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...nd-Brandenburg

^^^
    There were Slavic settlements (but as a minority of inhabitants) also beyond that area.

For instance on Bornholm there is archaeological evidence of Slavic presence. Check the link below about Slavic graves on Bornholm (based on archaeological data, Slavs could be between 1/10 and 1/5 of the inhabitants there - in Grødbygård 41 graves with Slavic grave goods or 13%; and 4 Slavic graves in Munkegård or 12%):

https://translate.google.com/transla...-i-sowian.html

More about it:

https://www.adlibris.com/no/bok/home...-9789189578234

I will check what does the Viking DNA study say about the archaeological context of these burials from Gotland with autosomally "Polish-like" people.
    Last edited by Peterski; 07-23-2019 at 11:46 AM.

Last Online
    03-23-2024 @ 05:44 AM
    Ethnicity
    Yamnaya
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Table 1: Information on the seven Scandinavian hunter-gatherers investigated in this study, including calibrated date before present (cal BP) corrected for the marine reservoir effect, given as a range of two standard deviations, average genome coverage, average mitochondrial (mt) coverage, mt and Y chromosome haplogroups and contamination estimates based on the mt, the X-chromosome for males and the autosomes.

Günther et al. (‎2017) showed that Haplogroup I2a1 or I2-L68 was common among Scandinavian hunter-gatherers. The study also found that one sample belonged to I2a1b, which is considered to be Slavic and absent in Scandinavia nowadays. I2 is rare in Scandinavia except for I2a2, which peaks in northern Germany and northern Sweden (10-20%). The Varangian Guard in Byzantium is associated with I2a2 and the Varangians (Vikings) may have carried this haplogroup, who ruled over the territories of modern Belarus, Russia, and Ukraine between the 9th and 11th centuries.

Scandinavia was one of the last geographic areas in Europe to become habitable for humans after the last glaciation. However, the origin(s) of the first colonizers and their migration routes remain unclear. We sequenced the genomes, up to 57x coverage, of seven hunter-gatherers excavated across Scandinavia and dated to 9,500-6,000 years before present. Surprisingly, among the Scandinavian Mesolithic individuals, the genetic data display an east-west genetic gradient that opposes the pattern seen in other parts of Mesolithic Europe. This result suggests that Scandinavia was initially colonized following two different routes: one from the south, the other from the northeast. The latter followed the ice-free Norwegian north Atlantic coast, along which novel and advanced pressure-blade stone-tool techniques may have spread. These two groups met and mixed in Scandinavia, creating a genetically diverse population, which shows patterns of genetic adaptation to high latitude environments. These adaptations include high frequencies of low pigmentation variants and a gene-region associated with physical performance, which shows strong continuity into modern-day northern Europeans.
    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/164400v2
    Last edited by sailormoon; 07-25-2019 at 01:43 AM.
    Давайте вместе снова сделаем мир великий!

Last Online
    Today @ 10:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Andean highlander
    Country
    Bolivia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,317
    Given: 2,697

0 Not allowed!

I want to see this Foggian sample. It is from Norman period Southern Italy.

Based on the map it looks like Southern Italians got some small Norman admixture. I've got no time to read the paper so can someone tell me if they looked at rare allele sharing to get these figures?

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,852
    Given: 6,536

1 Not allowed!

The distribution of my mtdna is only in the British Isles and Scandinavia, I wonder if it was native to Scandinavia since the Neolithic or brought there during the Viking Age?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Y8...3w&usp=sharing
    description
    Viking age Sweden, 10th-12th century CE (AD), Christian cemetery; from the academic paper https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1...ntary-material . male skeleton VK405 or Sweden_Skara 83 . no 16291T so K1a10; this individual had 80% "UK ancestry" (Supplementary Table 6); "This is
    consistent with the migration of individuals with ‘UK’ ancestry into Scandinavia, rather than
    a population present in Scandinavia.""
    Spoiler!

High on life and drunk on knowledge
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    05-02-2022 @ 05:30 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ascended Nubian Pharaoh
    Ethnicity
    Canned Fried Chicken
    Ancestry
    Black and Bold
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    E1b1N1GA
    mtDNA
    Nubian
    Taxonomy
    Black Israelite
    Politics
    Ham Sandwich
    Hero
    Elvis
    Religion
    Ham Sandwich Gang
    Relationship Status
    Married to Cousin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21,067
    Given: 39,632

0 Not allowed!

Vikings Stronk
    Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.

Even if this were hard--that is how it is ! Assuredly, however, by far the harder fate is that which strikes the man who thinks he can overcome Nature, but in the last analysis only mocks her. Distress, misfortune, and diseases are her answer.

Kekgenes K13

1 Swahili+ Jew + Kekistani + Trailerparkistan @ 6.9420

M.T.A
    Celt + Frank (4.869)
    Viking Icelandic + Frank (5.463)
    Viking Icelandic + Celt (5.545)
    Celt + Saxon (5.789)
    Viking Danish + Celt (6.283)
    Celt (6.539)
    Frank (10.13)
    Viking Icelandic (10.34)
    Viking Danish (10.4)