R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,919
    Given: 7,438

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nassbean View Post
    They spoke archaic versions of our dialects (riffian is only one dialect among many others today). North africans have never been united politically and culturally that's why I'm talking about dialects and not a language
    I thought that Riffian, Shilha, Tuareg, etc. were separate languages rather than dialects. Most websites seem to mention them as separate languages.

They comprise a group of closely related languages spoken by the Berbers, who are indigenous to North Africa.[3] The languages were traditionally written with the ancient Libyco-Berber script, which now exists in the form of Tifinagh.[4]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berber_languages

Glottolog and Ethnologue also list consider the speech varieties of Amazigh to be separate languages rather than dialects.

But anyways, what Amazigh dialect/language did people from your region speak before Arabization?

I hope they will get more attention by our politicians and why not gradually replacing darija but I doubt that would happen. Also 40% of the population can speak it so it's not a small minority and it's a recognized and official language so our situation is better than in other countries like algeria or tunisia for example
    As far as I know, there are multiple Amazigh languages spoken in Morocco, but there is only one standardized variety that is officially recognized, taught in schools, used in signs, etc. and the name of that language is Central Atlas Tamazight with its standardized form being called "Standard Moroccan Berber".

So if this is true, it means that the other Amazigh languages have no status and non-Central Atlas Moroccans are learning an Amazigh language not native to their region, right?

Western Sahara is moroccan and has always been moroccan. Any historian will tell you the truth and this border between western sahara and morocco is a fake one designed during the colonial era to separate french and spanish possessions. Even mauritania belonged to morocco before it's a recent country. Here a map of Morocco in 1891 before the french protectorate : https://imgur.com/A1d9QPm
    Its true that it was part of Morocco before Western Europeans came, but it had a distinct identity to Morocco before Morocco conquered it. So I don't think its accurate to say it was always Moroccan.

The Western Sahara was part of the same region as modern "Mauritania" historically speaking. Arab geographers grouped them together as one region under the name Shinqit or Bilad Shinqit.

Both Western Sahara and Mauritania spoke the same dialect of Arabic (along with parts from neighboring countries) called Hassaniya Arabic:

Both Western Sahara and Mauritania spoke the same Amazigh language called Zenaga prior to Arabization whereas Morocco spoke Zenati and Atlas (Shilha-related) languages prior to Arabization. That's why Western Sahara and Mauritania both speak the same dialect of Arabic today.

Thanks for answering, don't have any comments to make on the other questions.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-30-2020 @ 02:20 AM
    Ethnicity
    Moorish
    Country
    Morocco
    Taxonomy
    Transmed+Berberid
    Politics
    Center-left
    Hero
    Me
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,362
    Given: 5,351

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mingle View Post
    I thought that Riffian, Shilha, Tuareg, etc. were separate languages rather than dialects. Most websites seem to mention them as separate languages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berber_languages

Glottolog and Ethnologue also list consider the speech varieties of Amazigh to be separate languages rather than dialects.

But anyways, what Amazigh dialect/language did people from your region speak before Arabization?
    That's a bit exaggerated if they are languages then darija is also a language on its own lol they are too similar to be considered as languages imo I think they use the word "language" because there is not a standardized berber language for all north africa but many berbers from one specific group can understand partially other groups For example my mother can understand a bit kabyles

As far as I know, there are multiple Amazigh languages spoken in Morocco, but there is only one standardized variety that is officially recognized, taught in schools, used in signs, etc. and the name of that language is Central Atlas Tamazight with its standardized form being called "Standard Moroccan Berber".

So if this is true, it means that the other Amazigh languages have no status and non-Central Atlas Moroccans are learning an Amazigh language not native to their region, right?
    yes but I don't think it's that difficult to learn a standardized language as I told you differences are not that big between dialects

Its true that it was part of Morocco before Western Europeans came, but it had a distinct identity to Morocco before Morocco conquered it. So I don't think its accurate to say it was always Moroccan.
    It doesn't work like that we can say this for all regions in Morocco...

The Western Sahara was part of the same region as modern "Mauritania" historically speaking. Arab geographers grouped them together as one region under the name Shinqit or Bilad Shinqit.
    haha you clearly read some propaganda It's moroccan saharans that made modern mauritania and migrated there in large numbers. There was never a "bilad shinqit" state be sure of that while the cherifian empire is a reality and it controlled those areas for centuries. Good luck to find any sources talking about a mauritanian or western saharan state.

Both Western Sahara and Mauritania spoke the same dialect of Arabic (along with parts from neighboring countries) called Hassaniya Arabic:

Both Western Sahara and Mauritania spoke the same Amazigh language called Zenaga prior to Arabization whereas Morocco spoke Zenati and Atlas (Shilha-related) languages prior to Arabization. That's why Western Sahara and Mauritania both speak the same dialect of Arabic today.

Thanks for answering, don't have any comments to make on the other questions.
    so what ? Again we can do this with other regions it doesn't mean they are not part of morocco and should gain their independence. Mauritania was created by french people before them it was a moroccan region like any other

Last Online
    08-26-2022 @ 04:16 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Isu god
    Ethnicity
    The 13th tribe
    Ancestry
    Birthplace of mankind (Hyperborean J2 factory - Atlantis)
    Country
    Kyrgyzstan
    Y-DNA
    Sumer-Hyperborea-Altai (J2)
    mtDNA
    non-j2 farmer women
    Taxonomy
    Ascended
    Politics
    J2 world slavery
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,106
    Given: 3,279

1 Not allowed!

Do Moroccans (And other Maghrebis) self-identify at all as Carthaginians, Phoenicians, and Romans?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Maul View Post
    The Age of R1 is over... The time of the J2, has come (again)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade
    I'd say Turanid/Alpine/Mediterranean mix.
    Target: DrMaul
    Distance: 0.00000%
    100.0 First Man - J2 Atlantean

Banned
    Last Online
    09-30-2020 @ 02:20 AM
    Ethnicity
    Moorish
    Country
    Morocco
    Taxonomy
    Transmed+Berberid
    Politics
    Center-left
    Hero
    Me
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,362
    Given: 5,351

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Maul View Post
    Do Moroccans (And other Maghrebis) self-identify at all as Carthaginians, Phoenicians, and Romans?
    no most of them identify as arabs or their respective berber group of course it doesn't mean tunisians are not proud of their carthaginian past

Last Online
    04-20-2024 @ 09:12 AM
    Ethnicity
    Colombian
    Country
    Colombia
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    U
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,022