Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scotland has highest drug death rate in EU

Слава Путину! Я люблю Россию. Z
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 06:18 PM
    From Dorset, but live in the City of Westminster (Central London)
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    English, 1/8 Welsh, 1/16 Western Irish.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,549
    Given: 27,895

2 Not allowed!

Default Scotland has highest drug death rate in EU

Scotland has highest drug death rate in EU

16 July 2019

The number of drug-related deaths in Scotland soared to 1,187 last year, according to official statistics.

The figure is 27% higher than the previous year, and the highest since records began in 1996.

It means there were more drug-related deaths in Scotland last year than the 1,136 alcohol-specific deaths.

And the country's drug death rate is now nearly three times that of the UK as a whole, and is higher than that reported for any other EU country.

The latest figures also mean Scotland has a higher drug death rate than the one reported for the US, which was previously thought to be the highest rate in the world.

There were more than 70,000 drug deaths in the US in 2017 but the rate of 217 per million of the population is now marginally lower than Scotland's rate (218).

There were 3,756 deaths relating to drug poisoning in England and Wales in 2017, a rate of 66 deaths per million. The rate in Northern Ireland is about 75 per million, with 136 deaths in 2017.

However, countries differ in how deaths are recorded, and there may be under-reporting in some cases.

What do the Scottish figures show?

The statistics published by National Records of Scotland show that nearly three quarters - 72% - of those who died last year were male.

The vast majority of drug-related deaths - 1,021 - involved heroin, but a large percentage - 792 - had also taken pills such as diazepam and etizolam.

The 35-44 age group was associated with the most deaths at 442, followed by those aged 45-54 (345).

The Greater Glasgow and Clyde health board area had the highest number of deaths at 394, followed by Lothian (152), Lanarkshire (130) and Tayside (109).

But the report said that the problem was "clearly very widespread" across the whole country.

Why does Scotland have so many drug deaths?

Many of those who died had taken a cocktail of heroin and pills

There are said to be about 60,000 problem drug users in Scotland, which has a population of 5.4 million people.

Dr Saket Priyadarshi, of NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde addiction services, told MPs last week that Scotland had a much higher drug death rate than the rest of the UK because it had far more problem users.

He also said that Scottish users were taking a lethal cocktail of drugs that often combined opiates such as heroin and methadone with benzodiazepines, pills often known as street valium or street blues.

Dr Priyadarshi said there was an ageing population of drug addicts, mainly men, who had been using heroin for decades and were now also taking new street pills, often containing etizolam which is stronger than prescription benzos.

Earlier this month, The Daily Record newspaper launched a campaign calling for the decriminalisation of drug use.

It said Germany, Spain, Switzerland, Canada and, most notably, Portugal were among 25 nations to loosen the punitive attitude to drug possession to enable treatment programmes to succeed.

'I lost my mum, dad, two sisters and brother to drugs'

Jacquie's mother Margaret [left], who died in 2010, with Jacquie's sister Kayleigh, who died in 2007

Jacquie, from Glenrothes in Fife, has told how her father, mother, two sisters and brother all died because of drugs.

She said losing her parents and siblings "was like a fire ripping through my family".

Jacquie, 34, is herself a recovering drug addict.

She told BBC Scotland's The Nine: "It is scary how quick it can take a grip and devastate a family.

"I feel my life has been ruined.

"People could say that has been my fault, I understand that with the drug side. I can't help the fact that I have lost all my family to the drugs. And it is hard."

Jacquie, who began taking heroin at the age of 17 and is now trying to kick the habit, said she could not remember a time when the family wasn't affected by drugs.

She is the last remaining member of her immediate family - who all lived and died in the Fife town of Glenrothes.

'Bold move'

Scottish Public Health Minister Joe Fitzpatrick said the number of people who have lost their lives because of drug use was "shocking" and it was time for drug abuse to be treated as a public health issue.

During evidence to MPs at Westminster last week, Mr Fitzpatrick praised the "bold move" taken in Portugal to decriminalise drugs but said his government in Scotland was unable to make changes as drugs policy was reserved to Westminster.

But he has pledged to give consideration to any proposals that are brought forward by a new drugs taskforce set up by the Scottish government to examine how best to tackle the issue and save lives.

The woman leading the taskforce, Prof Catriona Matheson, told BBC Scotland the evidence for decriminalisation was strong.

She said: "It is about not putting these marginalised drug users into prison because that further marginalises them and that makes the recovery all the more difficult."

Denmark is among the countries to have introduced fix rooms, where people can inject themselves with drugs in a safe and clean environment

Glasgow City Council's plan for users to be able to take their own drugs under the supervision of medical staff at a special facility in the city would also need a change in UK law.

The Home Office has refused permission for Glasgow to set up the so-called "fix rooms", where users could inject heroin or cocaine in a safe and clean environment.

It was hoped the special room would encourage addicts into treatment, cut down on heroin needles on city streets and counter the spread of diseases such as HIV.

The Scottish Conservatives said the SNP has had sole control over Scotland's health and justice systems for 12 years, but has "only worsened the drugs crisis" in that time.

Tory MSP Annie Wells claimed the Scottish government was "pinning their hopes on consumption rooms, because they know it's something the UK government does not agree with".

She added: "They should be focusing their efforts on rehabilitation and abstinence-based recovery, the very services they have cut to the bone.

"Over the last decade, the Scottish government's approach has been to park vulnerable users on methadone. Yet these figures show methadone now causes even more deaths than heroin".

Meanwhile, Scottish Labour said the Scottish government has cut funding for Alcohol and Drug Partnerships by 6.3% since 2014/15.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48938509

❀♫ ღ ♬ ♪ And the angle of the sun changed it all. ❀¸.•*¨♥✿ 🎶

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Scotland's drug death crisis in six charts: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48853004

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

'I lost my whole family to drugs': https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48993861

Inactive
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Country
    North-Korea
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b-PH908
    mtDNA
    J2b1
    Taxonomy
    Alpinid
    Hero
    Jake Gyllenhaal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,113
    Given: 10,158

1 Not allowed!

My heart bleeds for these poor heroin addicts.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Fiji
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,869
    Given: 12,099

0 Not allowed!

Finally something my country is good at. We have higher suicide rate than them though. Didn't realize drugs are such a poblem in some European countries.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Minister hopes drug deaths record will be 'wake-up call'

9th July 2019

Drug-related deaths in Scotland are already at a record high

As many as 1,200 people may have died from drug abuse in Scotland in 2018, with MPs told this should be a "wake-up call" over government policy.

New figures are to be published in the coming days, with drug-related deaths in Scotland already at a record high.

Scottish Public Health Minister Joe Fitzpatrick told MPs that 2018's figure could hit 1,200, describing the problem of drug misuse as an "emergency".

He has set up a taskforce to examine the law and advise ministers on policy.

Mr Fitzpatrick also called for more powers to be devolved to Holyrood to deal with the issue, with drugs legislation including the Misuse of Drugs Act currently reserved to Westminster.

There were 934 drug-related deaths registered in Scotland in 2017, up 8% on the previous year and more than double the UK average.

This was already the highest level since current records began in 1996 and more than double the figure for 2007, but Mr Fitzpatrick told Westminster's Scottish Affairs Committee that worse was to come.

He told MPs: "We know that last year over 900 people died of drug overdoses, and this year we are expecting that to be in excess of a thousand. I've heard some figures suggesting that it may be as high as 1,200 when figures are released in the coming days.

"I hope that is a wake-up call. My ask is that we should work together on this to save lives."

Joe Fitzpatrick said the UK and Scottish governments should work together to "save lives"

Prof Catriona Matheson has been appointed to chair the new drugs taskforce, announced by ministers in March.

Her team will look at potential solutions including the establishment of medically-supervised drug consumption rooms - a move designed to stop drug users injecting in the street or other unsafe locations, but which has been blocked by the UK government.

Glasgow City Council is keen to pilot such a scheme, but the Home Office has refused to support it due to concerns over law enforcement, ethical quandaries and the risk that drug users could travel long distances to use the facilities.

The taskforce is also to look at the idea of decriminalising drugs altogether, with Mr Fitzpatrick confirming that "all those sorts of options" would be considered.

However he warned of "challenges" around this idea, saying that "it means different things to different people", and said the taskforce would "look at the best evidence from around the world".

The minister said his preference was for Holyrood to be given to powers to act, but said he would work constructively with UK counterparts if this was not possible.

He said: "I think devolving powers to the Scottish Parliament would be the best way for us to have a more joined up approach in terms of the interface between the health and social care system and the justice systems, but if that's a step too far for the UK government I'm absolutely happy to sit down with them to work out how we can take a public health approach to save lives in Scotland."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-48922805

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,860
    Given: 18,268

1 Not allowed!

Very sad. We have similar issues in the US. It seems like this has been a problem in Scotland for a while. The movie Trainspotting comes to mind. I'm also surprised Romania is at the bottom of the list.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Kamisama
    Ethnicity
    20% Orcadian, 20% Pacific Ocean mermaid/Laputa, 20% Irish Sun Kamisama, 20% Venetian cosmos Kamisama
    Ancestry
    Kamisama
    Country
    Serbia
    Taxonomy
    Kamisama
    Hero
    神様はじめました
    Religion
    Anime
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,246
    Given: 2,262

0 Not allowed!

Poor Scotland my favorite country in the UK. Beautiful

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    Finally something my country is good at. We have higher suicide rate than them though. Didn't realize drugs are such a poblem in some European countries.
    Scotland has had a lot of heroin addiction problems, gang and knife violence, obesity, alcoholics, etc, for a long time. It costs UK taxpayers a lot each year to fund their National Health Service treatment costs.

I used to know of a Scottish female who was 10 years older than me afer she'd moved to London from Aberdeen. She shared a house with me and several other tenants. My English boyfriend couldn't stand her. She was a few stone overweight, extremely messy, was always bitching and gossiping about people, and we'd have to clean up her mess all the time.

She kept borrowing money from us and would go out and buy herself loads of pairs of jeans. She'd often repay the money late. Whenever she got her money she'd spend it on herself and it would take months for her to repay money she'd borrowed.

A few months after she'd settled in, she said she used to be a heroin addict and had previously been in rehab and had stopped for several years prior to moving into the house. She seemed ok at first, apart from being very messy and always borrowing money. She was awarded several thousand pounds in a scot-free clothing grant once, and she didn't share a penny with anyone else - but spent it all on herself within a week or two.

She said she'd been in prisons and I noticed she had bad skin, bad teeth (she was always going to the dentist over problems with her teeth,) nicotine stains on her fingers, and some prison-style tattoos on her arms.

She had an overweight Scottish boyfriend who was aggressive and bolshy and he used to drink a lot and made me feel uncomfortable.

Then she lost a lot of weight after she secretly went back on heroin. She went from being a few stone overweight to turning skinny and gaunt and her voice became very slurred.... and the other tenants in the house suspected she was taking drugs. She got her Scottish boyfrend hooked on heroin too.

In order to fund her heroin addiction, she became a prostitute. She kept getting arrested for prostitution and eventually had to wear an electric tag fitted around her ankle due to the amount of times she'd been arrested. She said she'd been arrested 200 times in her life. The police wanted to keep a track on her.

She became even more messier than ever, leaving dirty cups and dishes all over the place, would knock cups of tea and ashtrays on the floor and didn't clean it up, would leave the bath uncleaned and large piles of her clothes all over the floor .... and eventually she was evicted.

I pitied her for a long time and I was the only one who continued to lend her money long after she'd lost all her other friends. I think she took advantage of me though, because I've never had any drug or alcohol problems and was quiet and shy and younger than her... so she took advantage a lot. (I know now that lending a heroin addict money isn't wise, but back then I was quite naive and gullible and not very assertive whenever she begged to borrow money from me.)

Once my GP prescribed me with some zopiclone sleeping pills (with 28 small pills in the box) which were for short-term use only.... and she kept knocking on my door and begging me to give her my pills. I told her that I needed my medication, but she wouldn't stop trying to get hold of my medication by knocking on my door each evening. I'd already given her lots of nice things I'd bought for myself that she wanted to keep. She was always asking me 'can I have this' or 'can I have that?'

Late one night, I walked downstairs into the kitchen wearing a short silky nightdress - and switched the light on and was horrified to see a strange Arab man sitting in the corner in the dark. She was putting us in danger by letting strange men into the home (her clients.) She'd left him sitting in the kitchen by himself while she was in her bedroom for a while. I quietly asked him who he was - and he said he was a friend of Alison's. I'd never seen him before and felt concerned that she'd invited strangers into the home. The man was staring and staring at me in my nighty as I quietly tried to make some tea, and I felt uncomfortable and upset. As I quietly left the room with my tea, he started slowly licking his lips in a vulgar manner whilst staring at me - and I silently felt angry because I think he thought that the house was a brothel, when it wasn't;- it was just an ordinary Victorian house - except for one tenant with a problem.

Another time she took a long cab ride home, left the driver outside, walked in with all her voice slurring, and refused to pay the cab driver.... and then her Scottish boyfriend got into a fight with the angry cab driver who called the police on them.

She was evicted and I decided to move to a different part of London with my English boyfriend.

Several years later I was walking outside in the fresh air with an Irish gentleman and we were smiling and chatting.... when suddenly I saw her sitting on the ground near a bank.

I felt shocked and distressed at how awful she looked and how low she'd sunk. She was begging for money, her skin was all grubby and unwashed and dirty, her eyes looked so sad and lost. I felt sorry for her.

She looked at me and then looked down in embarrassment, like she was ashamed that I saw her sitting on the ground begging people outside an ATM machine for money.

I made some polite small talk with her .... and my Irish friend looked disgusted that I was talking to her and that I knew her... and then he pulled me away from her and said to me to just leave her. So I quietly wished her all the best, told her to take care, and just gave her Ł5 to get herself something to eat. (If you gave her any more money she'd just spend it on drugs.) I felt bad having to walk away and leave her sitting on the ground as her eyes looked so sad. I quietly told him she never used to be like that when I first knew her.

That was the last time I ever saw her and I wouldn't be surprised if she's now dead. That's what heroin addiction does to people.

Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 07-22-2019 at 02:49 PM.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:09 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Insular Celt
    Country
    Scotland
    Region
    Scotland
    Y-DNA
    R-L21+ L1065+
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1e
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,132
    Given: 1,245

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ Lily ♥ View Post
    Scotland has had a lot of heroin addiction problems, gang and knife violence, obesity, alcoholics, etc, for a long time. It costs UK taxpayers a lot each year to fund their National Health Service treatment costs.

I used to know of a Scottish female who was 10 years older than me and she moved to London. She shared a house with me and several other tenants. My English boyfriend couldn't stand her. She was a few stone overweight, extremely messy, was always bitching and gossiping about people, and we'd have to clean up her mess all the time.

She kept borrowing money from us and would go out and buy herself loads of pairs of jeans. She'd often repay the money late.

She said she used to be a heroin addict and had stopped for several years. She was awarded several thousand pounds in a Scot-free clothing grant once, and she didn't give anyone a penny but spent it all on herself and on drugs.

She had long brown hair with blond highlights placed through it, and she said she'd been in prisons and I noticed she had horrible skin, bad teeth, nicotine stains on her fingers, and some prison-style tattoos on her arms.

She had an overweight Scottish boyfriend who was aggressive and bolshy and he made me feel uncomfortable.

Then she started losing weight and went back on heroin. She got her Scottish boyfrend hooked on it too.

She kept getting arrested for prostitution and had to wear an electric tag around her ankle due to the amount of times she'd been arrested.

She became even more messier than ever and eventually she was evicted... but I pitied her... and I was the only one who would lend her money - long after she'd lost all her other friends. I think she took advantage of me though, because I've never had any drug or alcohol problems and was quiet and shy and younger than her... so she took advantage a lot.

Once my GP prescribed me with some zopiclone sleeping pills (with 28 small pills in the box) which were for short-term use only.... and she kept knocking on my door and begging me to give her my pills. I told I needed my medication, but she wouldn't stop trying to get hold of my medication. I'd already given her lots of nice things I'd bought for myself that she wanted to keep.

Late one night, I walked downstairs into the kitchen wearing a short silk nightdress - and switched the light on and was horrified to see a strange man sitting in the corner in the dark. She was putting us in danger by letting strange men into the home (her clients.) The man was staring at me and I felt uncomfortable and upset.

Another time she took a long cab ride home, left the driver outside, walked in with all her voice slurring, and refused to pay the cab driver.... and then her Scottish boyfriend got into a fight with the angry cab driver who called the police on them.

She was evicted and I decided to move to a different part of London with my English boyfriend.

Several years later I was walking outside in the fresh air with an Irish gentleman and we were smiling and chatting.... when suddenly I saw her sitting on the ground near a bank.

I felt embarrassed but shocked at how awful she looked and how low she'd sunk. She was begging for money, her skin was all dirty, her eyes looked so sad and lost.

She looked at me and she looked down in embarrassment, like she was ashamed that I saw her sitting on the ground begging people outside an ATM machine for money.

I made some polite small talk with her.... and my Irish friend looked disgusted... and then he pulled me away from her and said to me to just leave her. I felt bad having to walk away. I quietly told him she never used to be like that when I first knew her.

Lily, you do realise that the obesity rate in England is 63.8%? Scotland is only 1.2% higher at 65%, I would say that both nations have an obesity problem.

As for knife crime, Scotland has actually had a massive reduction over the last decade where there has been an 85% reduction in youngsters carrying knives.

It is actually quite ironic for someone from London to talk about Scottish knife crime, our problems on that front are nothing in comparison to even just London, where over 132 people have died from fatal stabbings this year alone.

Drugs are a problem however, but it is worth mentioning that Drug policy is reserved to Westminster and the Scottish government do not have the adequate powers to combat it.

In fact the Scottish government wanted to follow the lead of countries such as the Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Spain, Australia, Canada, Norway, Luxembourg, Denmark and France and setup Drug consumption rooms where people could go and take drugs safely while being supervised by a healthcare professional, unfortunately, this was rejected by the English parliament, who seem to go out of their way to obstruct the Scottish government at any opportunity. Another factor is the English drug gangs that are flooding Scotland with drugs, maybe get your police should start doing their job and stop the drugs at their source, England.
    https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news...lling-14667210

Lily the English taxpayer does not pay for Scotland's NHS, I have to laugh, your nation is a literal parasite, your whole wealth is based on the theft and plunder of other nations including Scotland and you have the cheek to constantly claim that you subsidise us, please tell me Lily, if Scotland is such a drain on the UK economy why is the PM as well as her possible successors saying they will block another independence referendum? its because it is Scotland that in fact subsidises England, not the other way round, we have to pay for the likes of HS2, Trident, London sewage project and countless other English vanity projects that are of no benefit to Scotland whatsoever. Your anti-Scottish bigotry has made you totally blinkered when it comes to Scotland, and to be honest the sooner we are rid of the parasitic English the better in my opinion, Don't for a second think Westminster is doing Scotland a favour out of the kindness of their heart, the truth is England will be fucked without Scottish resources, your politicians already know it, that's why they will do everything in their power to prevent independence.
    http://www.businessforscotland.com/r...tlands-wealth/
    Last edited by Albannach; 07-21-2019 at 06:50 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information