Thread: The conquest of Paris by the provinces of France (1932)

Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 12:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    French
    Country
    France
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 211
    Given: 74

4 Not allowed!

Default The conquest of Paris by the provinces of France (1932)

Interesting engraving from « La Conquête de la Capitale par les provinces de France » in Almanach Hachette (1932) p. 137.
    It describes what French provinces the immigrants to Paris are from in 1932.

The provinces that gave the largest shares of immigrants are:
    1. Auvergne
    2. Brittany
    3. Île de France (the areas surrounding Paris)
    4. Burgundy
    5. The North

Auvergne and Brittany were two very catholic, poor and generally backward regions with high fertility rates compared to other regions. This probably explains why they gave so many immigrants to Paris despite being far away.

Last Online
    02-19-2024 @ 05:32 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    Avar
    Ancestry
    Kazbek district
    Country
    Russia
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Religion
    Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 558
    Given: 522

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ikiru View Post
    Interesting engraving from « La Conquête de la Capitale par les provinces de France » in Almanach Hachette (1932) p. 137.
    It describes what French provinces the immigrants to Paris are from in 1932.

The provinces that gave the largest shares of immigrants are:
    1. Auvergne
    2. Brittany
    3. Île de France (the areas surrounding Paris)
    4. Burgundy
    5. The North

Auvergne and Brittany were two very catholic, poor and generally backward regions with high fertility rates compared to other regions. This probably explains why they gave so many immigrants to Paris despite being far away.
    Hi. Do you have information about internal migration in France? In Russian anthroforum Balto-Slavica, in thread about Occitans, I read following quote:
    Provencals were saved from demographic catastrophe (extinction from low birth-rates) by Northern French and Breton immigration in 19 century and by Italian, Portuguese and Polish immigration in 20 century (also by thousands of Greeks, Hungarians, Yugoslavs etc.).
    In Google Books I found information only about italian, spanish and polish immigration to France.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    French
    Country
    France
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hajimurad View Post
    Hi. Do you have information about internal migration in France? In Russian anthroforum Balto-Slavica, in thread about Occitans, I read following quote:
    Provencals were saved from demographic catastrophe (extinction from low birth-rates) by Northern French and Breton immigration in 19 century and by Italian, Portuguese and Polish immigration in 20 century (also by thousands of Greeks, Hungarians, Yugoslavs etc.).
    In Google Books I found information only about italian, spanish and polish immigration to France.
    I didn't find anything about Northern French and Breton immigration to Provence. Though it's very likely that there were significant numbers of Bretons who immigrated there, just as they did in Paris.
    Nonetheless the number of Breton immigrants was dwarfed by the huge numbers of Italian and Spanish immigrants. I don't think the Provencals were threatened of extinction because of their relatively low birth rates: mass immigration is what makes ethnicities go extinct, not minor natural population decline just like it happens today in Eastern Europe and East Asia.

Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:48 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Ancestry
    NE Europe+Crusader
    Country
    Russia
    Y-DNA
    R1b1b2a1a
    mtDNA
    U5b1e
    Taxonomy
    Dalo-Faelid\Sub-Nordid
    Politics
    Phenotype positivity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,093
    Given: 10,128

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ikiru View Post
    I didn't find anything about Northern French and Breton immigration to Provence. Though it's very likely that there were significant numbers of Bretons who immigrated there, just as they did in Paris.
    Nonetheless the number of Breton immigrants was dwarfed by the huge numbers of Italian and Spanish immigrants. I don't think the Provencals were threatened of extinction because of their relatively low birth rates: mass immigration is what makes ethnicities go extinct, not minor natural population decline just like it happens today in Eastern Europe and East Asia.
    I know that French goverment was very concerned by low birth rates of French people after Franco-Prussian war, do you happen to know any sourse where i can get data on regional population change?

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    French
    Country
    France
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Not a Cop View Post
    I know that French goverment was very concerned by low birth rates of French people after Franco-Prussian war, do you happen to know any sourse where i can get data on regional population change?
    The government was concerned about this phenomenon because the French population was stagnating while the German population was exploding.
    French population: 37m (1871), 41m (1914), 41m (1939)
    German population: 41m (1871), 67m (1914), 78m (1939)

Here is plenty of data.
    1. A map showing the time of demographic transition in Europe (change to low birth rates).

2. A map showing religious practice in France (1966). You can see it matches almost exactly the first map: purple regions are the ones that transitioned to low birth rates the later.

3. Raw census population figures for each department. I found no map.
    https://www.insee.fr/fr/statistiques...mmaire=2591397

Here is the 1872 census data. Figures for general legal population are in the V105 column.
    https://www.insee.fr/fr/statistiques.../REC_T13_I.xls

Here is the 1921 census data. Figures for general legal population are in the V7 column.
    https://www.insee.fr/fr/statistiques...REC_T229_I.xls

Last Online
    07-17-2022 @ 03:58 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Français
    Ethnicity
    Français
    Ancestry
    Français
    Country
    France
    Taxonomy
    Français
    Politics
    France
    Religion
    France
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,481
    Given: 6,982

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hajimurad View Post
    The South of France has been for over two hundred years distinguished by very low fecundity rates, and it is still the case:

(Note that the depleted area matches closely the Occitan culture zone, except that it extends into sparsely central regions))

Internal migration in France never were a mass phenomenon like in the neighbouring countries, but there has been a constant flow from North to South, due to several factors:
    • Industrial revolution taking place later in the South. Therefore crowds of skilled workers moved South to start new industries, furthermore encouraged by the State (for example, hundred years ago all French aeronautic industries were located North of Paris, but were later on concentrated around Toulouse.
    • During WWI many farmers sons were killed, lots of farms in the South-West had no heir anymore, which attracted thousands of Bretons who were to many to found employment in their province.
    • Sun belt effect: many Northerners, when given the choice, prefer finding a position in the South — due to milder weather, more exciting scenery, ski resorts nearby etc. Many retirees go there too, they ensure a sizeable population growth in the South but don't add anything to the natural demographic growth (rather the opposite).

Last Online
    02-19-2024 @ 05:32 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    Avar
    Ancestry
    Kazbek district
    Country
    Russia
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Religion
    Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 558
    Given: 522

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ouistreham View Post

Internal migration in France never were a mass phenomenon like in the neighbouring countries, but there has been a constant flow from North to South
    As I know many regions in Europe were repopulated after medieval wars. For example, eastern and south-western Germany were resettled after Thirty years war. Which French provinces were repopulated after Hundred years war? Where did colonists come from?
    Same questions about Albigensian crusade (repopulation of Languedoc)?

Thread Information