Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Do you guys feel somehow better and safer when you are around people with same ethnicity/race?

Banned
    Last Online
    02-26-2022 @ 06:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    Unique
    Country
    Australia
    Y-DNA
    R-M222
    Taxonomy
    North Atlantid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,345
    Given: 9,352

1 Not allowed!

yes, for example: when I was livining in Exeter in globe backpackers hostel with tons of Poles from east part of the country (Lublin) and some Aussies, I felt better when for a while German family came, to their son studing there

Banned
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:04 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    SPARTAN II & SPARTAN III
    Ethnicity
    bro
    Ancestry
    iberian + amerindian with minor iranic and east euro admix
    Country
    Antarctica
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    R0
    Taxonomy
    Rather tall, meso-brachyskelic, ecto-meso
    Politics
    Guns
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 917
    Given: 1,117

0 Not allowed!

feel more comfortable with Christian immigrants from non indian non asian and non african backgrounds (so basically some europeans, MENAs, and latinos) personally.
    asians, filipinos atleast, tend to cluster around each other in their own clique and arent really inclusive, idk about indians but its probably something like that to a lesser extent. and cant really relate to africans at all but ive only met 2 families here

native american canadians i seem to mostly get along with really well too, the ones ive met

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:23 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Latin, Han
    Ethnicity
    Italian, 1/4 Chinese
    Ancestry
    Italian, an 1/8th Swiss German, a bit of Croatian, a bit of English, a bit of Spanish and a 1/4 Han
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    J L25
    mtDNA
    H20a
    Taxonomy
    Alpine Med
    Politics
    Conservative
    Hero
    Giuseppe Garibaldi
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,838
    Given: 3,082

0 Not allowed!

Yes and no. I don't feel safer or better around Meds, like but I feel like a have a closer affinity, warmth and more common cultural background with them than say, a Swede or German.

Last Online
    Today @ 06:04 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Krajina Serb
    Country
    Serbia
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b-PH908
    Taxonomy
    Dinaric+NeoDanubian
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,596
    Given: 11,538

1 Not allowed!

Yes, it is natural to feel like that.
    🔴🔵⚪

Dušan_scaled
    Distance: 2.0944% / 0.02094437
    60.0 Slavic:RUS_Sunghir_MA
    23.0 Paleobalkanic:MKD_Anc
    17.0 Byzantine:TUR_Marmara_Balikesir_Byz

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 10:23 AM
    Ethnicity
    Southasian Hunter-Gatherer
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,129
    Given: 58,889

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dušan View Post
    Yes, it is natural to feel like that.
    Some are naturally more ethnocentric and some naturally prefer differences I think I'm the later. I remember back in serbia as kid I felt depressed and sad because it was so monotonous and grey and in austria in a small village where I lived before the same I felt better in a more diverse place im now it is still small but it has the status of town not village
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]
    “The patriot, like the Christian, must learn that to bear revilings and persecutions is a part of his duty; and in proportion as the trial is severe, firmness under it becomes more requisite and praiseworthy.” ~ Thomas Jefferson, 1805

Last Online
    06-18-2023 @ 05:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    British/Irish/Scottish/German
    Ancestry
    46% British, 20% Scottish, 15% Irish, & some German—very distant: Swedish, Russian, Iberian Pe
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    Taxonomy
    North Atlantid with CM influence (Brunn & Anglo-Saxon) and Dinarid influence
    Politics
    Republican
    Hero
    Jesus
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 113

0 Not allowed!

Lightbulb Good question...longest answer I’ve ever written on these forums

Something I realized very recently is I feel a little less comfortable (not unsafe—just slightly less comfortable) around a Black person I do not know. I was surprised I felt this way and quickly realized it’s because I am concerned about how I seem to a Black person. Since Whites are often accused of being racist, I subconsciously feel I am being scrutinized by someone of this race I just meet or do not know. I know this is illogical because it’s jumping to conclusions, but it’s there subconsciously and it took me a while to realize it. I have noticed I am more comfortable with older Black people than the younger generation. I also don’t have a logical explanation for this but it could be because sometimes members of the younger generations no matter what race (Im talking about the generation in general)try to turn over rocks to try to find any semblance of what they deem to be “racist”.
    This is just my experience.

In all truth though, I have never experienced any of what people call “reverse racism” from a Black person. So this is not based in reality and I have had good experiences interacting with Black people and I have enjoyed working with Black coworkers. I have not experienced anything negative. So sadly the above paragraph is all in my head.

I also have another odd discomfort and it is with my own race. This is with people I don’t know and only with White women (which is ironic). I went to a private school for elementary and part of middle school. It was mostly White people and at this school, I got picked on a lot and bullied. A few times it was physical from one of the boys so I had to get my arm bandaged in nurses office. Most of the trauma I experienced at the school though was from other girls who just happened to be White like the majority of the school. Lots of teasing and bullying. In seventh grade I became depressed and I saw a child psychologist and he suggested to my parents that I withdraw from the school early. I got a written note excusing me from finishing the rest of the year which was almost over anyway. And from there I was able to go to eighth grade at a different school. The next school I went to was mostly Hispanic with some white people and then in high school it was mostly Hispanic with white being the minority. I was on the cross country and track teams and all of my teammates were Hispanic and I became really close to them. I don’t recall any teasing or bullying from Hispanic people. At least I wasn’t aware they were Hispanic if they were they looked White. So from there I made friendships and a lot of my friendships today are with Hispanic people because of the area I live in. I do admit that I have below my subconscious thought some semblance of distrust when I first meet another white woman. It’s sad that I feel this way but because of my experiences this is so. But I don’t feel the same way towards white men because I wasn’t probably too much by them except for the one boy who had hurt my arm. I felt more bullied across the board by the white girls. So from there I made friendships and a lot of my friendships today are with Hispanic people because of the area I live in. I do admit that I have below my subconscious thought some semblance of distrust when I first meet another white woman. It’s sad that I feel this way but because of my experiences this is so. But I don’t feel the same way towards white men because I wasn’t probably too much by them except for the one boy who had hurt my arm. I felt more bullied across the board by the white girls. Sadly was just a coincidence but I guess you know habits die hard. With that being said I do have friends who are white and who are women it’s just that at first meeting it takes me longer to gain trust.

I guess I would have to say I feel most comfortable with Hispanic people because that’s who I grew up with in part of middle school high school and in college (and I was not bullied by them unlike when I went to the mostly 100% White school) and then most of the area where I live has mostly Hispanic people so I think because I’m around the more I just naturally feel more comfortable with them. I don’t feel unsafe or uncomfortable towards any other races. I’m just more familiar with Hispanic people due to my background so it’s more of a familiarity feeling. I feel they are more laid back and accepting of mistakes (in general) compared to some types of Asians (I find Filipinos are more laid back though), White, And some types of Middle Easterern (Armenians to me are pretty laid back but some other types of middle easterners are not so much IMO).

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    ᖭི༏ᖫྀ
    Ancestry
    Med
    Country
    Albania
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,627
    Given: 10,189

1 Not allowed!

People will generally feel safer around introverted people who are less likely to approach. Thats why so many have chosen whites and east asians.
    Last edited by Ylla; 12-04-2021 at 06:06 PM.

Sup? Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ethnicity
    Galician
    Country
    United States
    Region
    West Virginia
    Y-DNA
    Powerful Male
    mtDNA
    Powerful Female
    Politics
    Of the school of Ron Jeremy
    Hero
    Your mom
    Religion
    Rationalist Materialism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,867
    Given: 12,732

0 Not allowed!

I'm comfortable around all types of people because my mindset is: I need to get from point A to B and so I'm not thinking of the people around me. I'm more concerned about what I need to get done. For example, if I'm hungry I'm thinking, "I'm hungry. I need to eat. What is near that looks like a good place to eat." It doesn't matter what most people in that area look like.

In a social setting where there are a lot of people, a bar, pool hall, a sporting event, etc. I'm wary rather than uncomfortable regardless of the ethnic and racial background of the people because there is always the potential for there to be a problem, especially when people are drinking alcohol. I'm like a hawk assessing everyone.

EDIT: Although I should say in places I'm not familiar with I'm uncomfortable but not because of the people but because I'm not familiar with the area. If I was to go to Pittsburgh, I'd be uncomfortable until I know my area well enough.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information