Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Southwestern Ukrainian and almost identical to Croats?

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Moldova
    Region
    Moldova
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,748
    Given: 3,189

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Feiichy View Post
    This person genetically Moldovan. When do you think your 23andme results will be ready ? I'm curious.
    This is just an academic sample, no need to make quick conclusion, the genetic landscape in that region seems to be very heterogeneous because except local population of Rusyns who lived in that region for centuries, in the past 200-250 years after Moldova lost that lands, plenty of Ukrainians from Galicia and Podolia moved here. Plus till today, the bigest minority there are Moldavians, maybe this person have some Moldavian ancestry (he still plots Northern of Moldavian average), or maybe have origins from Carpathian Slavs, same as Moldavians from RM with recent Ukrainain ancestry (for example in my area all Ukrainians are not natives for this land, all of them are newcomers in the past 200-100 years).

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 06:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    W6a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,923
    Given: 18,997

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirin View Post
    This is just an academic sample, no need to make quick conclusion, the genetic landscape in that region seems to be very heterogeneous because except local population of Rusyns who lived in that region for centuries, in the past 200-250 years after Moldova lost that lands, plenty of Ukrainians from Galicia and Podolia moved here. Plus till today, the bigest minority there are Moldavians, maybe this person have some Moldavian ancestry (he still plots Northern of Moldavian average), or maybe have origins from Carpathian Slavs, same as Moldavians from RM with recent Ukrainain ancestry (for example in my area all Ukrainians are not natives for this land, all of them are newcomers in the past 200-100 years).
    According to Eupedia nearly all of Ukraine has quite strong Balkan admixture (probably except for North-Eastern Ukraine):

A sample from Zhytomyr Oblast from the same study also has some, but not as much as that Chernivtsi sample of course.

Last Online
    11-30-2023 @ 04:52 PM
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Region
    Moldova
    Y-DNA
    I2-M223
    mtDNA
    T1a2
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,541
    Given: 1,154

0 Not allowed!

Ukrainians in the south western part are mixed with the balkanic people;
    In the dark age, the slavic tribes (north shifted) admix with local Costoboces (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costoboci)(thracians with probably some celtic); then in the middle ages (1000-1500) they assimilated Cartpathic Vlachs.. and voilà we have a “Croatian” effect; that’s my theory.
    Last edited by andre; 09-19-2019 at 10:21 AM.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 04:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    Unknown
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,471
    Given: 1,541

1 Not allowed!

these Ukrainians might have ancestry from the Moldovan Daco-Scythians, not Romanian admixture as i thought

look in which direction the most southwestern Ukrainians are pulled (the crimson/dark red squares)

this is where those Daco-Scythians plot (like modern north Italians)

Last Online
    11-04-2023 @ 08:07 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ukrainian
    Country
    Ukraine
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirin View Post
    Similar to results of that Boyko what I posted earlier here. Chernivtsi Oblast historically is the Northern part of old Moldavian Principality, who became part of Ukraine only after WW2.
    I'm that Boyko. R1a-Y654(Young Masovian Branch), H3g mtDNA. On my mom's line I'm the descendant of Drago-Sas noble family from Maramures - the founder is considered to be the legendary Dragos Voda. My father's last name is Lutsyk - they moved from the area close to Rava-Ruska to near Staryi Sambir in the 16th c. There is even a village with that name there still - Lutsyky (literally the Lutsyks). I checked his family - there's nobody exceeding 10% of East Mediterranean(an interesting fact - even his more northern village was called Kamianka Voloska (Vlach Kamianka). So, my mom must be somewhere close to 20% of that admix (if not more).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20231017-215922.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	123873

Transylvania (Maramures) Gothic style defensive church in my mom's village of Rosokhy (the nearby village is called Voloshynovo - Vlach village) built by the newcomers in the 16c.:

Name:	Screenshot_20231017-221720.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	123874

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Moldova
    Region
    Moldova
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,748
    Given: 3,189

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by hawklutz86 View Post
    I'm that Boyko. R1a-Y654(Young Masovian Branch), H3g mtDNA. On my mom's line I'm the descendant of Drago-Sas noble family from Maramures - the founder is considered to be the legendary Dragos Voda. My father's last name is Lutsyk - they moved from the area close to Rava-Ruska to near Staryi Sambir in the 16th c. There is even a village with that name there still - Lutsyky (literally the Lutsyks). I checked his family - there's nobody exceeding 10% of East Mediterranean(an interesting fact - even his more northern village was called Kamianka Voloska (Vlach Kamianka). So, my mom must be somewhere close to 20% of that admix (if not more).

Transylvania (Maramures) Gothic style defensive church in my mom's village of Rosokhy (the nearby village is called Voloshynovo - Vlach village) built by the newcomers in the 16c.:

Name:	Screenshot_20231017-221720.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	123874
    Yes, I know you. You are the user Galychanyn from Balto-Slavica. You have some interesting old threads on Balto-Slavica.

That church is specific Rusyn/Ukrainian, Romanians don't have such type of churches, especially these from Maramures. Still some influence can be found in Moldova region only, and only between wooden churches.

Last Online
    11-04-2023 @ 08:07 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ukrainian
    Country
    Ukraine
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Well, Ukrainian architects refer the church to the "Transylvanian Gothic style". By the way, descendants of Dragos Voda also built similar monastery of Sepanta Peri in Maramures on the border with Ukraine.
    Autosomally, I'm very close to the Ukrainians of Tyachiv and Khust districts of Zakarpatya - i.e. very close to Bedevlya one of the probable locations for Dragos Voda.
    The only problem I have is - in K13 high East Mediterranean is accompanied by very low West Asian and Red Sea for the amount of East Mediterranean admix. Is it possible to pinpoint the location of my Vlach admixture or, at least, where Dragos Voda came from originally?

P.S. My father's side village on the border with Poland is Velykosillya (formerly Nanczulka Velyka). It was founded on an empty spot by three brothers: Ilya, Prokop and Fedir Nanciul. They supposedly came from Transylvania.
    K13 of my grandmother's cousin from the same village:

North_Atlantic 27.9 Pct
    Baltic 39.3 Pct
    West_Med 13.46 Pct
    West_Asian 6.2 Pct
    East_Med 8.22 Pct
    Red_Sea -
    South_Asian 1.76 Pct
    East_Asian -
    Siberian 2.05 Pct
    Amerindian 0.61 Pct
    Oceanian 0.47 Pct
    Northeast_African -
    Sub-Saharan -
    Last edited by hawklutz86; 10-19-2023 at 03:35 AM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread Information