pontid turanid
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,500
    Given: 2,436

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sora View Post
    Phenotype doesn't always equal to genotype. I've seen both a Japanese-looking Moroccan with no Mongoloid and a Scandinavian-looking Chepni Turk girl from Giresun who scored too high Central Asian & no European ancestry
    Yeah I know but as far as I know pseudo Central Asian looking Moroccans generally have SSA. Sometimes SSA gives pseudo mong vibe. I think Scando looking Chepni girl is unexcpexted but not impossible because she's not only have East Eurasian.

My situation is weirdest imo. But as I said, maybe there is a family history that I don't know.

Magyar member Chris's situation is similar to mine.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    03-19-2024 @ 10:52 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    insan
    Ethnicity
    @
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,748
    Given: 9,033

1 Not allowed!

If I am not wrong, Ottomans never mentioned this group, it could be that they were probably turkified in pre Ottoman times or also in contact with other Turkish groups. But they identify themselves as Turks for so many centuries, already have a Turkish related culture and are intermarrying into other Turkish groups. Therefore they are no different for me comparing to someone from Edirne to Igdir.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    French Alpinoide
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    France
    Taxonomy
    French Alpinoide
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,282
    Given: 1,180

1 Not allowed!

Phenotype doesn't always equal to genotype. I've seen both a Japanese-looking Moroccan with no Mongoloid and a Scandinavian-looking Chepni Turk girl from Giresun who scored too high Central Asian & no European ancestry
    The phenotype is not the genotype, but even 5% influences the phenotype, it would be ridiculous to believe that not: even the prehistoric ancestral contributions influence our traits, with variations due to selection, selective pressure, etc., so imagine more recent contributions .

But yes, "sleepy Asian genes" can still back up to the surface in a population that is 5-10% siberian-like.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    turkic
    Ethnicity
    turkish + 1/4 georgian
    Ancestry
    caucasus, anatolia, balkan
    Country
    Turkey
    Taxonomy
    pontid turanid
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    If I am not wrong, Ottomans never mentioned this group, it could be that they were probably turkified in pre Ottoman times or also in contact with other Turkish groups. But they identify themselves as Turks for so many centuries, already have a Turkish related culture and are intermarrying into other Turkish groups. Therefore they are no different for me comparing to someone from Edirne to Igdir.
    My grandpa said we settled in Ahıska from the Ankara. Maybe in Ottoman period Turkmens were sent but the autosomal results don't seem like that. Maybe they mixed too much with the locals but that doesn't make much sense either because Meskhetians were Orthodox Christians.

But maybe my family was migrated to the region in the late period, so the results of my family may not be similar to the Meskhetian Turks.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    03-19-2024 @ 10:52 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    insan
    Ethnicity
    @
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,748
    Given: 9,033

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by placebo View Post
    If Meskhetian Turks adopted Turkish identity during Ottoman times, that would mean there wasn’t any resistance and it proceeded quickly. At most that happened maybe by some Ottoman authorities, not by Turkish tribes. Also I doubt that Ottomans ever tried to settle Turkmens there, many maybe most rebellious clans were Alevi/Shia and they weren’t stupid to settle them to a disputed region where they could fall into Safevi clutches. Especially Central Anatolian tribes sympathized with the Persian state which was under Turkish rule and rather considered them as their sovereign than Ottomans. Those groups were settled somewhere like Balkan else or deported to Syria. It is just interesting why only this specific group adopted Turkish identity and not the whole group, Islamization didn’t mean adopting Turkish identity.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    turkic
    Ethnicity
    turkish + 1/4 georgian
    Ancestry
    Country
    Turkey
    Taxonomy
    pontid turanid
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    If Meskhetian Turks adopted Turkish identity during Ottoman times, that would mean there wasn’t any resistance and it proceeded quickly. At most that happened maybe by some Ottoman authorities, not by Turkish tribes. Also I doubt that Ottomans ever tried to settle Turkmens there, many maybe most rebellious clans were Alevi/Shia and they weren’t stupid to settle them to a disputed region where they could fall into Safevi clutches. Especially Central Anatolian tribes sympathized with the Persian state which was under Turkish rule and rather considered them as their sovereign than Ottomans. Those groups were settled somewhere like Balkan else or deported to Syria. It is just interesting why only this specific group adopted Turkish identity and not the whole group, Islamization didn’t mean adopting Turkish identity.
    Yes true it doesn't make sense to send Turkmens to a place close to the Safavids. Most Ahıskalı when I talk to describe themselves as the locals of the region but no one knows exactly how it happens. I only heard from my grandfather and one source that Meskhetian Turks originally came from Anatolia, but as I said, our situation may be different. It is very interesting to adopt Turkish identity. Although there was many Turks in Bulgaria, Pomaks still considered as a different ethnicity. For example my grandma are Adjaran and describe themselves as Muslim Georgians. I think it's more than adopting identity. I don't know how or what happened, but the Meskhetian region has a very mysterious history.
    Last edited by placebo; 09-17-2021 at 08:20 PM.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:56 AM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Chechnya
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 610
    Given: 2,309

0 Not allowed!

Are these from r/23andme on reddit?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Chechnya
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Yeah I know but as far as I know pseudo Central Asian looking Moroccans generally have SSA. Sometimes SSA gives pseudo mong vibe. I think Scando looking Chepni girl is unexcpexted but not impossible because she's not only have East Eurasian.

My situation is weirdest imo. But as I said, maybe there is a family history that I don't know.

Magyar member Chris's situation is similar to mine.
    Also search the actors Erza Miller and Joseph Gordon Levitt who are supposedly fully Jewish but looks like a NE Asian hapa or Pharrell Williams and John Legend who look half Asian despite being supposedly full Afro-American.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    turkic
    Ethnicity
    turkish + 1/4 georgian
    Ancestry
    Country
    Turkey
    Taxonomy
    pontid turanid
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Joqool View Post
    Also search the actors Erza Miller and Joseph Gordon Levitt who are supposedly fully Jewish but looks like a NE Asian hapa or Pharrell Williams and John Legend who look half Asian despite being supposedly full Afro-American.
    Yeah I know Ezra bacause a few people told me I looked like Ezra Miller. xd And Joseph Gordon Levitt. They're also interesting cases.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Chechnya
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Yeah I know Ezra bacause a few people told me I looked like Ezra Miller. xd And Joseph Gordon Levitt. They're also interesting cases.
    People told you this in real life or in this forum? I want to see their DNA tests.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information