View Poll Results: Who's winning the 2019 Rugby World Cup?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • New Zealand

1 50.00%
  • Australia

0 0%
  • South Africa

0 0%
  • England

1 50.00%
  • Wales

0 0%
  • France

0 0%
  • Ireland

0 0%
  • Scotland

0 0%
  • Other (tell who)

0 0%
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Rugby World Cup

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 08:37 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,041
    Given: 43,518

0 Not allowed!

Wales did well against Georgia in the first-half, but lost focus in the second-half and once again the scrum started to creak.

Last Online
    07-26-2022 @ 10:15 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Ethnicity
    White
    Ancestry
    Lusitan
    Country
    Portugal
    Hero
    Deco
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 115
    Given: 53

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    Wales did well against Georgia in the first-half, but lost focus in the second-half and once again the scrum started to creak.
    Can’t hardly wait for the bout against Oz. The best in the 2nd round I hope.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Well done Japan! They really studied Ireland well and outplayed them. Mind you, yet again it does prove how Ireland are really dependent on Sexton, who was absent due to a thigh strain. On the other hand, South Africa v Namibia is a much more 'traditional' Tier One v Tier Two (mis)match - SA are winning 57-3 with five mins to go.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Ethnicity
    White
    Ancestry
    Lusitan
    Country
    Portugal
    Hero
    Deco
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Shall I add Japan to the poll?

Well srsly... I think the last teams we saw having such an evolution in rugby were Italy and prior to them, Argentina. Maybe the Pacific islands too... and all of them, a long time ago. Japan should be an example for all the emerging teams that it's possible to grow up in rugby. Let's see if they keep the pace for the next years, as I think they still will lose to Samoa and to Scotland and won't make it to quarterfinals.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,097
    Given: 28,473

0 Not allowed!

Very happy for my Welsh cousins. They deserved the win and what a great game. Bad luck Aussies.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    France
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,755
    Given: 8,726

0 Not allowed!

I'am happu to see new nation at the top of rugby, but Japan isn't really japaneese, and i'am scare of this new trend.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,097
    Given: 28,473

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jehan View Post
    I'am happu to see new nation at the top of rugby, but Japan isn't really japaneese, and i'am scare of this new trend.
    I think they are trying to combat this with 5 years residency but it is still a great win for Japan. I hope Ireland learns from this but they were really flat for this game. It will be interesting to see how Japan go against Scotland otherwise the Scots will be out and Ireland will go through as 2nd but face the All Blacks in the quarters. If Scotland wins Ireland will be first and Scotland second. The Japanese win against Ireland opens up A Pool and makes every game count.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Ethnicity
    White
    Ancestry
    Lusitan
    Country
    Portugal
    Hero
    Deco
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Dudes, all of the scorers from Japan win against Ireland are Japanese-born. In 2015, against Boks, only one try was scored by a foreign-born, Michael Leitch.
    We shall understand that rugby is not like football, that spread fast, most countries turned professional in the first half of the 20th Century and they developed their own football cultures. Also, due to the nature of the sport, where the points are scored only through a small goal guarded by a player with special features, football is a sport where an underdog or a historically weaker team may surprise a dominant one and win the match. That doesn't happen in rugby. We will never see a Pacific Island nation reaching the World Cup final like we saw Croatia, we will never see Romania joining and winning the Six Nations (that would be an eventual Seven Nations, but whatever) like we saw Greece, we will never see Portugal beating Australia and tying the All Blacks like we saw Iceland beating England and tying Argentina.
    Because rugby remained amateur for more than 100 years, only some countries kept developing the game. And as it turned professionally only a couple of years ago, most countries remain amateur and newcomers are far behind from those who already established as the sport tier one forces. So if they don't speed up the pace, this gap will get even bigger. That's why is so important for nations like Japan, Canada, Portugal and Spain and even more tier 3 countries like Brazil, Germany and Chile to add players from New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, England, France and all to their rosters. Even because not every player will have roster space to join his national team and some of them already has some connection to the country they choose to represent. For instance, Morgan Parra is born to a Portuguese father and thought about representing Portugal if he wasn't good enough to play for Les Bleus. The record for most points in one game for Portugal is held by Thierry Teixeira, a French-born, but of Portuguese descent.
    So I agree it's weird to look to Brazil and see a man named Josh Reeves as #10 or Ray Parkinson as #10 for Germany, but's important and necessary as of today.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

The coach of Japan himself said that many ethnic Japanese are too small to play top-level rugby, thus he prefers to use South Africans, Kiwis, Aussies and Pacific Islanders playing club rugby in Japan who qualify on residency (even the captain of Japan is South African). Anyway, as for today's big one, I am really glad Wales held on to beat Australia - it would have been far more comfortable if (a) Gareth Davies, who was in other ways great (esp. the interception try) didn't keeop kicking the ball away and (b) if the replacement props could actually keep the scrum solid.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Ethnicity
    White
    Ancestry
    Lusitan
    Country
    Portugal
    Hero
    Deco
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Yeah, I know, they have this problem with basketball too. No wonder most of the foreign-born players are forwards.
    But I'm not discussing that, I'm just saying that we shouldn't see this habit as something harmful to rugby. It's the only way to spread the sport and make more countries more competitive. You roll down the pool stage of the World Cup and except for some big games like All Blacks vs Boks, we have to stand matches like Namibia vs. Canada. And also it can be too boring to watch 80 minutes of New Zealand vs Namibia or South Africa vs Canada as we know some score of over 100 is coming. It would be better to watch great games and for that we need Namibia and Canada to be better teams. As for now, that only will happen if they add foreign born players to their squad. That or World Rugby gives up on the 20-team format and put on a World Cup with only the 10 tier 1 teams plus the Pacific Islands.
    I don't say this should be like that forever, but while the game develops in some countries.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information