Thread: Do You Think Grammar Schools Should Be Reinstated?

Слава Путину! Я люблю Россию. Z
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 04:57 AM
    From Dorset, but live in the City of Westminster (Central London)
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    English, 1/8 Welsh, 1/16 Western Irish.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,554
    Given: 27,895

1 Not allowed!

Default Do You Think Grammar Schools Should Be Reinstated?

Only a few grammar schools still survive now in the UK.

Nigel Farage wants to see more grammar schools reinstated, as they give an opportunity to children from non wealthy backgrounds (whose parents can't afford to send their children to an elite independent public school,) to maximise their academic potential.

It's sad to see that many traditional grammar secondary school have been closed down. The UK gives Ł1 billion every month to fund poor EU states... when that money should be used to save our grammar schools, improve our NHS, and create a government and parliament for England (the only nation in the UK without its own autonomous government, First Minister, and parliament.)

Grammar schools have been around since medieval times. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammar_school

My sister passed her 11+ exams at her junior school and academically earned her place into a grammar secondary/senior school for intelligent children.

She learnt both Latin and German in her grammar school (Bournemouth School For Girls on the coast of south-west England.) She also stayed on in her secondary grammar school until 18 to study her A-Levels.

Bournemouth School for Girls is one of the few surviving grammar schools in the UK. http://bsg.bournemouth.sch.uk

More recently, a number of state grammar schools still retaining their selective intake gained academy status, meaning that they are independent of the Local Education Authority (LEA).

Some parts of England retain forms of the Tripartite System, and a few grammar schools survive in otherwise comprehensive areas. Some of the remaining grammar schools can trace their histories to before the 16th century.

Unlike public schools (which only extremely wealthy people can afford to send their children, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public...nited_Kingdom) grammar schools are free if children can academically pass their 11+ exams at age eleven.
    Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 09-14-2019 at 05:34 PM.
    ❀♫ ღ ♬ ♪ And the angle of the sun changed it all. ❀¸.•*¨♥✿ 🎶

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Some people feel that grammar schools make students who fail their 11+ exams feel inferior in their final year in junior schools. A lot of grammar secondary school students can be snooty towards other secondary/senior comprehensive state school students (who wear different uniforms,) and grammar school students tend to think they're more intelligent than everyone else in society.

When about 10 boys and 10 girls in my final year at junior school celebrated passing their 11+ exams, I never saw them again after I started my senior school. We used to play together, go to brownies and girl guides together, visit each others houses for meals, go out with each others parents to nice places in our junior school.... but that all stopped when some of my close former friends academically earned their place in a grammar school.

I'd sometimes see them on the way to my secondary school with the other kids from my former junior and primary schools, and the grammar school students would be wearing different school uniforms to our uniform, would go horse-riding with their friends after school.... but they'd just say hi as we passed along the pavement, and became very aloof and snooty.

My sister also turned very snooty and became more distant to me and my other sister after she went to a grammar school. She's more interested in her grammar school friends than her sisters... and a lot of them are snooty too. I found a lot of the grammar school students were show-offs who think they're intellectually superior to others and they're very confident in themselves, whereas as me and my other sister were very shy.

Grammar school students tend to be given better teaching and more opportunities in life for academically bright children.
    Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 09-14-2019 at 04:53 PM.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Margaret Thatcher also went to a grammar school, showing she was academically intelligent and passed her exams at age 11.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Thatcher

Aristocrats, royalty, etc, often send their children to public schools (elite independent schools such as Eton - which are called 'public schools',) but an expensive education doesn't mean that child is going to be academically intelligent.... whereas grammar secondary school students are proven to be intelligent as they've academically earned their places into a grammar school.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I know it's a competitive world, but I remember feeling so low in life when I failed my 11+ exams. By age 11 I felt like a failure.

I struggled to concentrate at school due to a lot problems at home with my dad, and would daydream a lot in my junior school. (My youngest sister who went to a grammar school was too young to remember life when our dad was around as she was only 2 when our parents divorced, but me and my other sister suffered a lot when our father was around.)

I used to daydream a lot at school which concerned my teachers. I wasn't outgoing and confident like the academically bright kids - who believed in themselves and concentrated better in school.

Some people think it's cruel to subject junior school children to these types of testing and intense school exams. Others think it's best to separate the intellectually superior children from the other children, so that they can be given the opportunity to maximise their intellect in grammar schools.

My sister also passed her A-levels in German and Latin and she speaks fluent High German. She went to live and work in Austria for a few years, and frequently returns each year to Austria with her Austrian husband and their two daughters for skiing holidays there. Me and my other sister very rarely ever see or hear from her... but she has a large circle of snooty and extremely confident friends with great careers who matter to her more in life, as they went to a grammar school like her.

Me and my other sister are both very quiet and shy, and we feel that our other sister looks down on us as intellectally inferior to her and her grammar school friends. Obviously I'm pleased she's successful and has lots of opportunities in life, but I just don't like the snootiness that surrounds many of those who went to a grammar school.

One of my maternal great aunts (my maternal grandfather's sister) was privately educated at home, their brother went to an independent private school, and my grandad went to an ordinary state-funded comprehensive school. My mother finds that quite a bizarre situation.

My great aunt (my grandad's sister who was privately educated,) told me at my grandad's funeral that her grandson is a doctor now living in San Francisco. She was very eccentric and spoke in a posh upper class accent. She became a little bit tipsy after drinking too much red wine after the funeral, and the rest of my relatives were quitely giggling in embarassment. That's the only time I've ever seen and met her... and I quietly asked my mum who she was after the funeral, and she said that she's one of my great aunts. I was astonished and taken aback that she's my grandad's sister - as my grandad was a very down-to-earth, humble, modest and quiet man. She was very well-spoken, dressed in expensive designer clothing, and although quite charismatic... a bit of a show-off. My mother said our great aunt never worked a day in her life as she's married to a well-off man, but she's quite a character.

I wonder if her different upbringing of being privately educated at home made her different to my modest and sweet grandad who went to a state school.
    Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 09-14-2019 at 06:01 PM.

Aging Tom Cat Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iberian, Celtic, Germanic
    Ethnicity
    caucasian
    Ancestry
    Northern England, SE Ireland, Northern Ireland, Castilla Spain
    Country
    England
    Y-DNA
    R-DF27 (R1b1a2a1a2a) R-Y3267
    mtDNA
    H6A1B
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,003
    Given: 10,566

1 Not allowed!

sounds like more examples of the sickening elitism that exits in british society to me

even your sister who passed her eleven plus now considers herself a "class" above her other sisters

making people who fail an exam at 11 failures...wow ...how fucked up is that

i was at junior school, just as they scrapped the 11+ as i remember

i was academically v bright...so would probably have passed it though

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Serial killer Tony Hardy went to a grammar school, and this documentary shows that he thought he was intellectually superior to the police in both Australia and the UK, and he looked down on everyone else in society as being intellectually inferior to him... what a narcisssist.

He dismembered peoples bodies with chainsaws. He read a lot of books about Jack the Ripper (who was his sick hero.)

He came from a lower middle class family... and he didn't want to follow his father into a working class life of working hard in the mines, so he studied hard and passed his 11+ exams and earned his way into a grammar school, to improve his prospects.

He also gained an engineering degree at the elite and world renowned Imperial College London (which ranks in the world's top 10 universities.)

Part of his arrogance was the fact he was extremely intelligent, so he thought nobody could ever catch him with his crimes.

3:30 - 4:10 ''I'm cleverer than you' was his attitude that played a key role in his crimes.' Police detective.

Seral killer Doctor Harold Shipman (who murdered hundreds of his patients and stole money from their forged wills) was another narcissist. Dectectives say he thought he was intellectually superior to the detectives and he thought he'd never get caught.

Just goes to show that just because someone is highly intelligent, it doesn't necessarily mean they're a better or nicer person in life.

Serial killer Ted Bundy (who decapitated and murdered over 30 females) had a degree in psychology and was a law graduate, and he was another narcissisist who went so far with his arrogance to represent himself in court.

7:34 (He loved the media attention of being his own lawyer and cross-examining some of his victims in court. He thought he was smarter than everyone else in the courtroom due to his narcissistic and psychopathic arrogance. But even a basic law student knows never to represent yourself in court, nor take the stand. He was sentenced to death and electrocuted in Florida State's electric chair.)

Ted Bundy would drop papers in front of random female students as he walked past them, and when they bent down to help him to pick up his papers, he'd bash them to death over the head and kill them.

Other times he'd wear a sling around his arm and pretended his arm was broken... and would stagger up to females on beaches and ask them to help him to his car. They were fooled by his charm and charisma, and would kindly help him to his car... and then he'd bash them to death.

He broke into the rooms of female students, and stabbed them all to death in a violent frenzy as they slept - after he escaped for the second time from jail and was on the FBI's most wanted list.

He even murdered a 14 year old girl as she slept in her bed after breaking into their home.

In court, he relished and revelled in drawing-out all the gruesome details of the decapitated heads from the detectives.

Acting as his own defence lawyer, he questioned the few surviving female victims of his random and brutal attacks on strangers... and made them feel nervous of his presence in the courtroom. When he arrogantly asked them in court to point to the man who attacked them... they pointed directly at him. He tried to deny the exact dental copy of his teeth in the bite marks found on his dead victims corpses.

Every documentary about America's most infamous and notorious serial killer Ted Bundy has both male and female commentators telling us over and over and over how 'good looking', 'handsome', 'charismatic', 'charming', 'intelligent' Ted was.... it makes people feel sick. He may have been all that - but there's no denying he was also evil, narcissisitc, and psychopathic.

Some exceptionally intelligent and bright pupils see themselves as special and superior to others, and they can become disruptive and misbehave at school if they find the studies too easy and get bored, so they tend to behave better when they're placed in more academically challenging schools which cater for their high intelligence.
    Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 09-14-2019 at 06:23 PM.

Thread Information