View Poll Results: Are Black Jamaicans "Germanic"?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 38.89%
  • No

11 61.11%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Are Black Jamaicans "Germanic"?

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,025
    Given: 6,624

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Shelati View Post
    Mingle, you beat me to this thread. I always thought of creating it (a similar thread), because a lot of people seem to ignorantly conflate language family with race.

My thread was going to be controversially titled "South Asians are as Indo-European as Jamaicans", meaning that Jamaicans and as well as Indians both have non-Indo European roots, and are comparable. In other words, ancient Indo-Europeans came from northwest Asia/northeastern Europe and assimilated South Asians and Iranians, mixing with some of them and spreading the IE languages, but not completely supplanting their gene pool, hence why they still look native and non-European. Same thing with Jamaica, which is a much more recent case; The Brits arrived over there, mixed with a few, but the natives are still predominantly Subsaharan in genes. Hence, "south Asians are as Indo-European as Jamaicans".

So, if you want to say Indians and Bangladeshis (who may have some Dravidian in them) are "Indo-European peoples", you can might as well call Subsaharan Jamaicans Indo-Europeans too, no?

As per my post above, are Indians and Bangladeshis Indo-European because they speak an Indo European language? Because ancient Indo-Europeans looked nothing like the modern day Indians and Bangladeshis. But they are still called Indo-European peoples, along with most European peoples. Which is odd as they don't cluster close with Europeans. So if you can call Bangladeshis Indo-European (because they speak an IE language), it won't be so strange to call Jamaicans Germanics. What do Bangladeshis have to do with northeastern Europea (IE urheimat) and what do Jamaicans have to do with ancient Germanic peoples? I kind of get the analogy, as bizarre as it is.

I think the OP is making an analogy as well, and how people can be very technical and hypocritical when it comes to this (race and linguistics).
    I've never heard anybody call Indians 'Indo-Europeans' or 'Aryans' who wasn't being ironic/sarcastic.

Last Online
    03-02-2024 @ 11:09 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Upper Mesopotamian
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian, Georgian Jewish, minor Armenian
    Ancestry
    Chalcolithic Armenia (EHG), Anatolian Neolithic Farmer (AHG), Copper Age Zagros, Canaan, Urartu, Ass
    Country
    Australia
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Irreligious
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,784
    Given: 10,478

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post
    I've never heard anybody call Indians 'Indo-Europeans' or 'Aryans' who wasn't being ironic/sarcastic.
    Seriously, some people do and they're pretty stern about it. Some Indian nationalists call themselves the "original Indo-Europeans" and they're anything but sarcastic. It's pretty risible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_Aryans

Hatchling
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun-American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,924
    Given: 7,446

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post
    Then you haven't read this thread: https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...Indo-Europeans

Also, North India was called Aryavarta historically: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%80ry%C4%81varta

In India, they refer to speakers of Indo-Aryan languages as "Arya" even today.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information