Jason Godwin: Janissaries , were mostly Albanians, this is not written in history books]

While excavating in the archive for recognition of Istanbul in the 1800s, British historian and writer Jason Godwin was fascinated especially by the complex relations of Albanians with the Ottoman Empire.

The more the documents were, the more they were convinced that in fact the Albanians had been in control of the state apparatus by being placed in key positions of the Ottoman Empire.

On this conviction, Godwin could have written a historical book focusing on the relations of the Albanians with the Ottoman Empire, which could possibly have fueled controversy. "Maybe it would take me 4-5 years to write a true historical book," says Jason Godwin, so he decided to write a novel for five months; a historical and exotic thriller. But before doing so, he decided to travel to Albania in search of the tracks of the old Egnatia road, which linked Rome with Istanbul. He came for the first time in 1999, traveled along the coast, was amazed by the landscape and somewhere in the east of Tirana found a "scrap" of the old road that he had come to. Meet many Albanians and learn equally about their customs and traditions. After this trip he wrote the novel "The Jennifer Tree". The publication in Britain in 2006 was welcomed by criticism, which he regarded as a historical and exotic mystery that is read as literature and experienced as a thriller. So it should be read in Albanian, with the translation of Lighthouse Lackas, "The Tree of Jennifer", which comes after seven years from the first edition under the sigl of the Publishing House "Saras".

The author Jason Godwin, who faced questions a bit far from the nature of his book, was also present in the novel of the novel "Jennifer's Tree" in Albanian.

Godwin did not understand why his novel, basically a fiction but also based on historical facts, would be seen as a provocation that came to the Albanian readers at a time when the debate about Ottomanism is still hot between us .

"Before I wrote this story, I've done a lot of research and I have seen many papers that deal with the Ottoman Empire and the relations that Albanians created with this emperor. In the book 'The Tree of Jenners', through the characters I bring something from the culture and importance of the janissaries, who were mostly Albanians. This is not written in history books. So I wanted to write about them ", - Godwin seemed to be excused, whose interests and recognitions were actually more in the history of the Ottoman Empire, and often had to emphasize that" this is not a historical book, though there are many elements history in it ".

But a thought certainly can give it to Ali Pasha Tepelena, an episodic character that is occasionally drawn in the book with its vices and virtues, but that it is unclear whether the author has borrowed from any historical document or are merely his own thoughts on the figure of Ali Pasha. "Ali Pasha Tepelena was an extraordinary man, a smart man who knew to benefit in certain circumstances. It was a successful and relentless despot, which was recognized and acted on a large European scale. These finds them in the documents of the time. So it is not surprising that at the end the Ottomans did not dare to face it but shot him through the floorboards of his house and headed him to Istanbul, "said Godwin. Albanians are present in some of Godwin's works.

They are sometimes placed in the center of times in the background of events that the writer wanted to confess. That was the reason why one of his books was brought in Albanian. "In Godwin's five acts, which have a combination of historical relationships with thrillers, Albanians are present. The reader who will take over this book will be acquainted with important personalities of Ottoman history who have been of Albanian origin and have contributed to political developments in the Ottoman Empire. There will be names like Mehmet Pasha, Ali Pasha Tepelena, Daut Pasha, Major General and Great Vizier of the Ottoman Empire, as well as famous janissaries since Halil Patrona, who created the tradition of overthrowing the bins( overthrowing the Sultan), from which he takes the title and "The Jennifer Tree", - said Bajram Peçi, representative of the Publishing House "Saras"